The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How can Kirk be captain?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Ensign

god, I canna wait, want mor info,mor pics....want it to be freakin December already....set phasers to max already...geeeeez
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Ensign

I've been wondering all these years if Kirk cheated his way up to Captain. The Pike character was captured by some UFO type of dudes, but they never explored it. But, as it turns out, Pike wanted to go back to the lie. I dont think Kirk would like that life.

I'm trying to imagine Kirk pulling off something that could not be ignored which gets him rank of Captain. Dont tell me.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Lieutenant

I don't see how we're seeing Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise as Captain. That was "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

I mean, I guess you could say this happened:

2246-2250: Robert April and his 5 year mission with the Enterprise
2251-2255: Chris Pike's first 5 year mission
2256-2260: Pike's second five year mission
2261-2264: Enterprise undergoes an extensive 15 year checkup/refit
2265-2270: Kirk's first 5 year mission, WNMHGB takes place in 2266, not 2265 as previously thought. TOS S2 = 2267, TOS S3 = 2268, TAS = 2269, unseen 5th year of mission = 2270

So we'll see the true first mission.

However, in that case, they need to cast that doctor from Pike's Enterprise, and Gary Mitchell.

They better be using Memory Alpha.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
I don't see how we're seeing Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise as Captain. That was "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
We may be seeing one of the "earliest" missions as Captain, not necessarily the first.

Quote:
They better be using Memory Alpha.
http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/25/jj-a...-from-the-set/

Quote:
Mr. Orci

I am a contributor and administrator at Memory Alpha (http://www.memory-alpha.org/). Did you guys use Memory Alpha when researching for the movie? And if so, can MA expect to receive a mention in the end credits?
Roberto Orci's response:

Quote:
We absolutely used Memory Alpha during the entire process, and still reference it occasionally during production. It was great to be able to refer the less educated members of the team to your great site. THANK YOU!

Will see what I can do about credits. Not a bad idea at all
Old 02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Midshipman

Default Reboot

I think what Chris means by seeing Kirk in the center seat is going to depend on Mr. Abrams' long term aspirations for the franchise... if any.

If this film is intended to be a reboot of the franchise, able to tell the stories of Gene's original vision with the technology we have today and the passion for serious science fiction television and film he helped raise, then we're going to have to have some time before the original series, and a lot of fans are going to need to suspend their canon OCD, lest they miss the whole point.

It doesn't seem too difficult to envision a seasoned and somewhat grizzled Captain Pike briefing the young prodigy Kirk, probably significantly after the latter's service on USS Farragut. (After all, Kirk was an ensign when he served with Ben Finney.)

We very well may cover a lot of ground, and I hope Mr. Abrams takes the time to tell the story thoroughly. Covering the infamous Kobayashi Maru hack up through taking command of USS Enterprise includes some very important formative events... and yet in all of this, there's a nemesis and through-story.

I'd imagine if we're looking at a full reboot, a lot of "but we didn't see X" is in store for movie-goers, who will hopefully be treated to a sequel. The franchise of Star Trek when simmered down to its constituent elements, has an incredible story to tell. Some of the minutia is going to deviate from established canon. That much we can assume.

But I don't think that's the point. I don't think Gene would be heartbroken... and probably to the contrary after the essential disaster of Enterprise. I'd imagine the Great Bird of the Galaxy would be tremendously heartened if the Star Trek storytelling returned to the people and this new take served as a vehicle to tell modern-day fables to teach, inspire, and challenge.

I think that's probably Gene's biggest legacy, and THAT, to me, is the more important question for where J.J. is taking this thing.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Midshipman

And having just read the last post, it would be an absolute TRAVESTY not to include Memory Alpha in the credits. As a professional educator, I certainly hope that the production team sets the proper precedent by giving credit where credit is due. If one of my juniors wrote a research paper and didn't cite a website he used throughout his process, it'd be unacceptable.

I think the same should apply here. MA is an excellent resource!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Lieutenant

I'm writing a crossover TOS/TNG/SW fic, and Memory Alpha is one of 3 sources I'm using. It, along with Memory Beta and Wookiepedia are absolute gold.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

hmmmmm as well this perplexes me and i really do wonder if this is going to be what this movie is about or is it going to be a continuation of the saga of the enterprise.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDReeves View Post
It doesn't seem too difficult to envision a seasoned and somewhat grizzled Captain Pike briefing the young prodigy Kirk, probably significantly after the latter's service on USS Farragut. (After all, Kirk was an ensign when he served with Ben Finney.)
If the look-up I did is correct, Kirk was an ensign with Finney on the USS Republic, presumably while he was still in the Academy (approximately 2250), the same time Pike took command of the Enterprise. TOS describes Kirk's first post-graduate service as a lieutenant on the Farragut four years later. Pike turns over command of the Enterprise to Kirk in 2263 after his 2nd five-year stint ended.

Assuming the film sticks with any of that.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk is the man. If he is not the captain he will find a way to be in command. Remember the Motion Pictue when he took command from Dekker. Or the Wrath of Khan when he took command from Spock. The man is born to lead. Even if he is young in this movie, I am pretty sure they will find a way to complement his leadership skills.