The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Well, dey don' make 'em like dey use ta.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You're awesome Mouse.
Zeal > Stocism
Thank You...just enjoying the debate with you ...and yer pretty okay there too guy
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant

Ya know.. as much as people keep saying Trek is being reinvented.. or already has been changed.. etc etc.. I don't think it has so much, as I agree that it really isn't changing function, but form maybe... as far as stories go, yes it's all been told, there is NOTHING new under the sun as someone wise long ago said... but the WAY the story is told has been altering for some time... mostly due to attention spans lowering and the fact that a general audience gets bored at the drop of a hat, literally... even I get bothered by, for example.. a sex scene in an action movie... I almost always say, "Oh cmon get to the killin already!" cause after all that's pretty much what action movies are about... if I was watching a drama/romantic comedy I would of course expect such things... point is... they are trying to mix too much at one time in one type of movie in order to please everyone instead of just aiming the movie at the core audience. Again, money and profit come into play here.. more people... more money. It's a sad thing really... and for this very reason movies like 2001, Silent Running, or TMP could never be made now cause they just would not sell to enough people at one time.

So yes, point in fact... they DON'T make them like they used to... and in my opinion, in this case, this is a bad thing... something special has been lost... story telling has turned into 'money making', and by default, therefor, has become less interesting... at least to me...

man I hope at least some of you get what I'm sayin.. I just woke up from a nap and may or may not be making sense... *sips coffee* yeah so thas it then...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
Ya know.. as much as people keep saying Trek is being reinvented.. or already has been changed.. etc etc.. I don't think it has so much, as I agree that it really isn't changing function, but form maybe... as far as stories go, yes it's all been told, there is NOTHING new under the sun as someone wise long ago said... but the WAY the story is told has been altering for some time... mostly due to attention spans lowering and the fact that a general audience gets bored at the drop of a hat, literally... even I get bothered by, for example.. a sex scene in an action movie... I almost always say, "Oh cmon get to the killin already!" cause after all that's pretty much what action movies are about... if I was watching a drama/romantic comedy I would of course expect such things... point is... they are trying to mix too much at one time in one type of movie in order to please everyone instead of just aiming the movie at the core audience. Again, money and profit come into play here.. more people... more money. It's a sad thing really... and for this very reason movies like 2001, Silent Running, or TMP could never be made now cause they just would not sell to enough people at one time.

So yes, point in fact... they DON'T make them like they used to... and in my opinion, in this case, this is a bad thing... something special has been lost... story telling has turned into 'money making', and by default, therefor, has become less interesting... at least to me...

man I hope at least some of you get what I'm sayin.. I just woke up from a nap and may or may not be making sense... *sips coffee* yeah so thas it then...
Movie making has always been about "making money," but the difference now is that there is even less people making movies who actually want to tell a story. To me it seems that only about 1/10 people actually care about the story and not making money....sad, sad
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

It makes complete sense.
Movies like 2001 weren't about blowing the box office away. They were about taking a new tool..."movies" to stilmulate the imagination. The visual element would make it as close to real as we had ever come. I think perhaps they helped to make the silver screen what it is to day. To day...movies are money. Honestly I don't think they knew what they had back them before the time of 1977. Star Wars blew the doors open.

The question I have: To survive most we "Trek" all go through this thin tube called popular before we comeback to our roots? Does this seem like selling your soul to anyone else?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:

That is a well thought out post. I would like to add a caviat if I may. It has always been a money making business in Hollywood. Even in the time of Charlie Chapman and Rudolph Valentino to Cecil B. DeMille's blockbuster "spectaculars" like the Ten Commandment and such. The only difference between then and now is back then the wanted to make a great movie on a big budget versus now just making a movie on a big budget. Hollywood will toss us a bone now and then but not often ...but as always there is the exception to the rule. There are the Kevin Smith's still left out there that will put together a good movie on a shoestring budget and then work their way up. They cannot make their movies unless they make money so every Producer, Director , Writer and on down the line must compromise to a degree in order to make a movie sell-able.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist
The question I have: To survive most we "Trek" all go through this thin tube called popular before we comeback to our roots? Does this seem like selling your soul to anyone else?
Pleased to meet you, I'm the guy that's been complainin' about this question for three months.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Selling your soul?...Hmmm ...did you make this movie? Does this not sound a bit drastic to anyone else? You make it sound like JJ struck a deal with Satan to get this movie out...and all it would cost is a few Billion Trek fans souls...At the end of the day and then some Star Trek is just a story. One that can be told in a multitude of ways and hopefully long after we are gone it will continue.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Pleased to meet you, I'm the guy that's been complainin' about this question for three months.
I am quite aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Selling your soul?...Hmmm ...did you make this movie? Does this not sound a bit drastic to anyone else? You make it sound like JJ struck a deal with Satan to get this movie out...and all it would cost is a few Billion Trek fans souls...At the end of the day and then some Star Trek is just a story. One that can be told in a multitude of ways and hopefully long after we are gone it will continue.
The post was figurative.
It was a question and not an imperative.
This post did not specificly refer to the Movie to which I can not judge off the trailer alone. Further, the selling of said soul is a analogy wherein the studio is buying the essence of the artist.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I am quite aware of this.

The post was figurative.
It was a question and not an imperative.
This post did not specificly refer to the Movie to which I can not judge off the trailer alone. Further, the selling of said soul is a analogy wherein the studio is buying the essence of the artist.
Well even an artist has got to eat. Right?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Not if you talk to Bill Watterson.
I respect his position but it irrates me aswell.