The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Well, dey don' make 'em like dey use ta.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
But here's one I won't argue about: Tina Turner's "Rollin' on the River" better than the original CCR version. And that's a painful admittance, since I love CCR.
Heretic! thou shalt burn!...lolj/k
Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
The more it changes the further it receeds from that original concept. The more it adapts to the current climate the less familar it will be to those that remember.
Yeah, but telling static stories would get old. There's only so much of that cowboy diplomacy you can shove down people's throats before it gets stale.

It's like Smallville, it's the modern retelling of a classic hero/villian dynamic. And to make it more tragic, they had the hero and villian become best friends in the beginning. I dunno cause I'm not into comics, but I don't think they were best friends in original late 30s canon...

So I say...who cares if the bridge looks like a freakin IStore, or if the captain's chair is 0.54 centimeters to the left of the original? Or if we see the USS Kelvin with a registry beginning with 0? Tell a good story, remain faithful to the original, and have a good idea of why any deviations are occuring, which they do.

Nero travels back to the 2220s or something to engage the Kelvin, of course a future ship is going to spook Starfleet and make the Constitutions more militaristic and cutting edge (Yesterday's Enterprise, anyone?).
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

There is no such thing as a "modern story"
Every story has been told. It's a concept that tends to go over our heads.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Consistency is always desireable.
Familarity is desirable.

The unknown is a mystery. It is not logical to fear the unknown. It is logical to be wary of the untamed flame. Trek appeared as a unobtrusive glow in the darkness. It established science fiction beyond any other definition and paved the path that many others would follow. That glow grew, the fire was fed and the boundaries were not respected. As a result some were burned.

Trek isn't music.
Trek...is not a genre. It is a culture.
Music is to Television as Trek is to U2. Years ago many say U2 lost something. While it remains a culture some observe that the music has changed. There is less artistic soul in the product, commercialized and homoginized. They claim success has stripped it of it's unique flavor, and certain someone on the band has become, lofty and aloof. Fame seems to have an adverse affect on many things.

Perhaps Star Wars is the biggest example. Perhaps it is inevitable.
I view Star Trek like a Hero.
In Dark Knight Harvey Dent said, "All right, You either die a Hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."

In 2012 Trek will be 5 years short of half a Century old. There have been 5 incarnations of Trek, changing every eight years. The more it changes the further it receeds from that original concept. The more it adapts to the current climate the less familar it will be to those that remember. They remember it began as a phenomenon. Roddenberry pitched it as a western in space, when it was anything but a western. He knew it would be different and he knew it would appeal to a certain audience but he found the risk of creating a phenomenon worthy because the ideal was larger than concept but it grew to fit very quickly.

Can Trek appeal to most?
I think it can. I believe there is an explorer in all of us. The skateboarder, the Football player, the teacher, the architect, the mom, the hair dresser, even the drug addict all have at least one thing in common. They are all exploring there boundaries. Trek may not appeal to them in every episode but it does in spirit and in the characters. If it loses that pioneering spirit the phenomenon would be lost, the explorer dies.
I am sorry but I beg to differ. This all sounds like a desperate plea to cling to a last ember of the fading past. Change is enevitable in every aspect of our lives...can you really tell me honestly that you want to go back to the days of no: cell phones, internet, microwave ovens and other conveniences that we take for granted today? (Trek is partly responsible for some of those BTW)
Every thing in life as stated before is subject to change. A cycle that cannot be stopped. To everything a cycle occurs there is a birth, a life, a death, and a re-birth so to speak. We as sentient beings pattern things after nature. Trek is no different. It has had it's birth, lived a life, has suffered a death of sorts and now is being re-born. Another cycle that a new generation will grow up with and make their own. We as the later generation can either accept and go on with the new cycle or we can choose to stagnate in the old with no more adventures to inspire us. Trek will go on with every bit of the eswsence that made it great and hopeully flourish, if this generation does not trample it to the ground to the ground before it can grow.
As Mr. Spock said to Kirk: "Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and inflexible, that we have outlived our usefulness? Would that constitute a joke?" just my opinion.

Last edited by CAPTAIN MOUSE : 01-28-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

Captain, hyperbolie is always an illogical reaction, the exact oppostie of precision and the essense of misrepresentation.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Captain, hyperbolie is always an illogical reaction, the exact oppostie of precision and the essense of misrepresentation.
That and two Quatlus will get you a cup of coffee.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

... and rasins shrivel only at night.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
... and rasins shrivel only at night.
LOL...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

You're awesome Mouse.
Zeal > Stocism

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Consistency is always desireable.
Familarity is desirable.

The unknown is a mystery. It is not logical to fear the unknown. It is logical to be wary of the untamed flame. Trek appeared as a unobtrusive glow in the darkness. It established science fiction beyond any other definition and paved the path that many others would follow. That glow grew, the fire was fed and the boundaries were not respected. As a result some were burned.

Trek isn't music.
Trek...is not a genre. It is a culture.
Music is to Television as Trek is to U2. Years ago many say U2 lost something. While it remains a culture some observe that the music has changed. There is less artistic soul in the product, commercialized and homoginized. They claim success has stripped it of it's unique flavor, and certain someone on the band has become, lofty and aloof. Fame seems to have an adverse affect on many things.

Perhaps Star Wars is the biggest example. Perhaps it is inevitable.
I view Star Trek like a Hero.
In Dark Knight Harvey Dent said, "All right, You either die a Hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."

In 2012 Trek will be 5 years short of half a Century old. There have been 5 incarnations of Trek, changing every eight years. The more it changes the further it receeds from that original concept. The more it adapts to the current climate the less familar it will be to those that remember. They remember it began as a phenomenon. Roddenberry pitched it as a western in space, when it was anything but a western. He knew it would be different and he knew it would appeal to a certain audience but he found the risk of creating a phenomenon worthy because the ideal was larger than concept but it grew to fit very quickly.

Can Trek appeal to most?
I think it can. I believe there is an explorer in all of us. The skateboarder, the Football player, the teacher, the architect, the mom, the hair dresser, even the drug addict all have at least one thing in common. They are all exploring there boundaries. Trek may not appeal to them in every episode but it does in spirit and in the characters. If it loses that pioneering spirit the phenomenon would be lost, the explorer dies.
Honestly, whenever I see a post from this guy, I just skip it because it seems like he argues with EVERYONE over EVERYTHING because he thinks he is always right But I think this time he hit the nail right on the head