The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Possible solution for Cannon issues ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
For those wanting an In-Universe explanation for the changes, one need only go to Orci and Kurtzman's "Alternate Timeline" quantum mechanics explanation, that both preserves existing continuity and allows the movie to take a different route.

I could buy that. Star Trek has had far stranger things happen.

For those who don't like nor buy that interpretation, then it is a "new canon", a remake that remains fairly true to the original. Think Battlestar Galactica, only no sex changes among the characters, and no darker take on the material (in fact it appears considerably bright in places, aka the Bridge).

I'm happy with either case if the movie is entertaining and true to the core of Star Trek (good characters, implicit optimistic viewpoint, action-adventure, some integration of current scientific knowledge).
Fair enough OneBuck! Bravo!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Dominus of Megadeus's Avatar
Dominus of Megadeus Dominus of Megadeus is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
True enough.



There is nothing "holy" about Star Trek. It is not a religion. That's why I have a little problem with the word "canon" used to describe the overall continuity of the fictional Star Trek universe. And yes, we probably would cry even louder about the radical changes being made to the established history of the, once again, fictional Star Trek universe had the "alternate reality" cop-out not been added to appease us old crotchety TOS fans. There have been continuity discrepencies in the past, any long-running series is going to have them. But the major events are pretty consistent and flows through a continuous timeline from the 23rd to the 24th centuries. The "alternate universe" explanation was just a way for the writers/producers to try to get the "canonists" or "purists" or whatever names you like to call us, off their backs. For me, it has almost worked...to an extent. I'm still angry and disappointed that I'm not going to get to see how the "real" TOS crew got together. Instead, I'm going to have to accept that this movie is about how an alternate reality version of the TOS crew came together. Fortunately, that leaves the floor wide open for CBS to do an actual origin story of the real TOS crew's origins. Maybe in a TV miniseries or direct-to-DVD movie. I know it won't happen, but it's wishful thinking.

Good point! I actually read somewhere else on this forum where someone used the term "Continuist" as well as "Purists". And again, you provide insight to this forum with your views! I DIG IT!

(Uh-oh...I'm showing my age!)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Damage75's Avatar
Damage75 Damage75 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,593
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
My "solution for canon issues" is fairly straightforward:
The new movie's based on the Original Series; it's obviously not a direct remake or re-telling of what we've already seen. It's today's depiction of the Original Series universe. Some deviation from 'canon', which is often riddled with inconsistencies and absurdities anyway, is to be expected and even welcomed.

I'm entirely convinced it'll be consistent enough with canon for my tastes. Except for some fairly trivial matters, I don't think it'll be glaringly inconsistent, except for radically different storytelling and a revised interpretation of the low-budget 1960s TV series' aesthetics.

Others will undoubtedly disagree. That is completely up to them, and I understand their perspective even though I might disagree.
Save this response, will you? That way you can just copy and paste it everytime this issue comes up!

Very well said, and I completely agree. I really don't like the idea of an alternate timeline, or alternate universe. Your statement above is EXACTLY how I am going into this movie!
__________________


You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Indestructible Object's Avatar
Indestructible Object Indestructible Object is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 193
Default

Kirk: "Computer initiate cannon self destruct... code; zero, zero, zero, destruct zero."

Computer: >> Destruct sequence activated, cannon will auto-destruct in five minutes. <<

McCoy: “Why did you do it Jim?”

Kirk: “To save the franchise Bones…”
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
Kirk: "Computer initiate cannon self destruct... code; zero, zero, zero, destruct zero."

Computer: >> Destruct sequence activated, cannon will auto-destruct in five minutes. <<

McCoy: “Why did you do it Jim?”

Kirk: “To save the franchise Bones…”
Too Funny!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
jcs23576 jcs23576 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
Kirk: "Computer initiate cannon self destruct... code; zero, zero, zero, destruct zero."

Computer: >> Destruct sequence activated, cannon will auto-destruct in five minutes. <<

McCoy: “Why did you do it Jim?”

Kirk: “To save the franchise Bones…”
or in an alternate timeline :

"Computer initiate cannon self destruct... code; zero, zero, zero, destruct zero."

Computer: >> Destruct sequence activated, cannon will auto-destruct in five minutes. <<

McCoy: “Why did you do it Jim?”

flash of light

Kirk: "Huh, Do what, Bones?"

McCoy: "weird, for a second there, I thought you iniated canon self destruct"

Spoke: "All this talk about canon is highly illogical"

McCoy: "illogical, canon means everything you green blooded son-of-a"

Kirk: "I am tired of all this fighting, Computer initiate self-destruct, 0 seconds. 0,0,0,destruct,0"

Huge Plasma Explosion
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs23576 View Post
or in an alternate timeline :

"Computer initiate cannon self destruct... code; zero, zero, zero, destruct zero."

Computer: >> Destruct sequence activated, cannon will auto-destruct in five minutes. <<

McCoy: “Why did you do it Jim?”

flash of light

Kirk: "Huh, Do what, Bones?"

McCoy: "weird, for a second there, I thought you iniated canon self destruct"

Spoke: "All this talk about canon is highly illogical"

McCoy: "illogical, canon means everything you green blooded son-of-a"

Kirk: "I am tired of all this fighting, Computer initiate self-destruct, 0 seconds. 0,0,0,destruct,0"

Huge Plasma Explosion
So in other words... Kirk in a fit of depression brought on by both his weenie-a$$ed son who thought he could take on a klingon and got killed....his two friends whining at each other, decided to end it all? I love it!!!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
For those wanting an In-Universe explanation for the changes, one need only go to Orci and Kurtzman's "Alternate Timeline" quantum mechanics explanation, that both preserves existing continuity and allows the movie to take a different route.

I could buy that. Star Trek has had far stranger things happen.

For those who don't like nor buy that interpretation, then it is a "new canon", a remake that remains fairly true to the original. Think Battlestar Galactica, only no sex changes among the characters, and no darker take on the material (in fact it appears considerably bright in places, aka the Bridge).

I'm happy with either case if the movie is entertaining and true to the core of Star Trek (good characters, implicit optimistic viewpoint, action-adventure, some integration of current scientific knowledge).
Again, a perspective I can get on board with.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

I think I can live with that.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.