The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Color/Style of Enterprise weapons?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Captain

About the phaser color, since I'm a JERD about this sort of thing (Jock + "Nerd"), since the closer light is to the ultraviolet end of the light spectrum, the more "powerful" it is, I'd like to see the phaser on maximum intense blue. For stun (say to disable a ship with weak shields or no shields), a reddish hue. To drill through the crust of a planet, a burning orange.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'll tell you one thing I don't want to see, is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXa0cfaTlfk
Nice ship, but those phasers are so slow you could step out of the way when they were fired at you. LOL
Yeah, those are horribly slow. I've always considered phasers to be similar to lasers in their emission of light. Light travels at the speed of light (duh). So it would seem logical for the beam to be instant-on and -off just like a laser pointer. The slow, broken beams and pulses like Star Wars weapons and pulse whatevers on ENT and various other Trek incarnations always irritated me. I would like to see a blue beam for ships phasers and hand phasers. And I always liked the photon torpedo effects in the movies. So that would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
I love the visual of the photon torpedo! Will you, or someone else out there, school this ol' hound about photon torpedoes (slightly off tiopic, sorry). Is it the impact or the yield that it's destructive power lies? If it's it's yield, I'd love to see the weapons crew at their stations configuring the torpedo before it's launched!

Just one of those Trek-sci things I've been curious about.
I'm thinking that it's the yield. Since the photon torpedo is a matter/anitmatter explosive. The more of each the bigger the explosion and more damage is done to the target.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Captain

Thanks, ZIM! You're THE MAN!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Vice Admiral

You're very welcome.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Captain

When you think about the power of the weapons of Trek, they basically kick butt against any other Sci-Fi show. If a HAND-HELD phaser can be made to overload and be more powerful than a 21st century grenade, I pity the fool that wants to jump up and face a battalion of MACOs!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Yeah, those are horribly slow. I've always considered phasers to be similar to lasers in their emission of light. Light travels at the speed of light (duh). So it would seem logical for the beam to be instant-on and -off just like a laser pointer. The slow, broken beams and pulses like Star Wars weapons and pulse whatevers on ENT and various other Trek incarnations always irritated me.
Small point to add: the blasters and weapons used in SW are energy, not light or lasers. Example: lightsabers could not be lasers, since such beams would pass harmlessly through each other. On the other hand, some kind of plasma energy could well have a magnetic field and thus two different weapons could actually repel each other, blasts would have physical impact on ships, etc. TREK also has examples of 'finite' energy weapons like this, too.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Lieutenant

Yep Phasers are NOT lasers and don't go as fast as light... sometimes they go horridly slow even... ever freeze/still a scene and do a frame by frame on a Phaser shot? Insane slow man! lol Guess it's animated slower so you can see/feel it more on screen...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

TWoK phasers and TMP photon torpedoes.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
About the phaser color, since I'm a JERD about this sort of thing (Jock + "Nerd"), since the closer light is to the ultraviolet end of the light spectrum, the more "powerful" it is, I'd like to see the phaser on maximum intense blue. For stun (say to disable a ship with weak shields or no shields), a reddish hue. To drill through the crust of a planet, a burning orange.
Except a Phaser beam isn't made of light, but highly accelerated Nadion particles (whtever they are), so EM Wavelength wouldn't necessarily be relevent.

It is likely that these particles are accelerated close to the speed of light, which is where the power comes from.

If this was a LASER, we wouldn't see it because it would have to be out of visual range, perhaps into the UV band, to be powerful enough to be a weapon in the way portrayed.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

If we can see a weapon which is not fired in our exact direction, then this weapon must have a senseless loss of energy along its way.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-