The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The enterprise tour ala TMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Lieutenant

Yep, agreed... and plus it worked for TMP because that ship is fantastic looking from every angle and has great detail, that, it seems to me.. even the new ship does not have.. especially in the engineering section. But I guess the one from new movie is older... refit for it will come later, etc... I know I know.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I hope they do a longer tour like TMP did....lots of people I know hate that part in TMP because they say it is boring....*sighs*
Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Vice Admiral

I hope they do it, but a bit faster.... or they could just show a 5 second look at the LCARS ship display

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Ensign

Maybe they'll have a whole accompianment doing the flips.

Last edited by Kipt'n! : 01-25-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
Don't forget though, this new movie is for movie fans not Trek fans... and movie fans don't have attention spans to handle a 5 minute flyby-tour with no dialog and only music...

If it's in there it's gonna be a very short approach scene most likely... with some light banter in the shuttle, then it'll be over. *cut to inside shuttle bay* lol
Yeah, it's a shame movies can't take their time anymore. Everything has to be fast. I always liked the reveal of the Enterprise in TMP, it really gave you a nice look at 23rd century earth that you just couldn't see on the small screen. That was the great thing about TMP. Everything was HUGE!!! I grew up with TNG but I'd say, had a grown up watching TOS, seeing that sequence in the theatre for the first time would be amazing.

Still a shame though how movies can't take their time and just let you hang out in the worlds they take place in. Remember this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0H2bx5Cgk

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Captain

That scene in TMP so so touching, especially with the music that Goldsmith composed. I still get shivers watching it and hearing the score. It was more than just a reunion- it was like being reacquainted with an old lover, granted following a boob job, liposuction, and lots of collagen . Scotty not only beams with pride, but also with the knowledge of how Kirk must be feeling to see the ship and become Captain again.

In TMP, the feeling was very emotional. In the new movie, it should be one of awe, as I am assuming the characters are seeing the ship for the first time ever. If they do a similar fly-by (and I agree with Saint re: the screen clip) it will no doubt be shorter for all the reasons stated above. I think the score should convey more wonder and admiration than ardor and passion.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

don't forget Kirk is supposedly arriving aboard the Enterprise as McCoys "guest" and not as a fully-fledged member of the crew. So I don't see this as a pivotal moment for Kirk being that he is onboard a shuttle full of other cadets. I doubt they will get the full fly around treatment by the shuttles pilot.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Federation Councillor

Where was it said that someone had seen footage of the introduction of the ship and just used the word 'awesome'? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Of course, one person's 'awesome' is another's 'yeah, what else is new?' but they will make a point of giving her a goos intro I think.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Commander

*I hope they do a longer tour like TMP did....lots of people I know hate that part in TMP because they say it is boring....*
I really hope they don't.

That one scene is the genesis for so many jokes and parodies since it is boring. It went so far beyond the needed establishment shot and sense of scale.

It's like trying to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (on Valium).

Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*I hope they do a longer tour like TMP did....lots of people I know hate that part in TMP because they say it is boring....*
I really hope they don't.

That one scene is the genesis for so many jokes and parodies since it is boring. It went so far beyond the needed establishment shot and sense of scale.

It's like trying to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (on Valium).

I do not agree, that scene was by far my favorite when I saw the movie in 1979. I was awe struck by the visuals and by the score. It's what I remember the most, second has to be the Big E leaving dry dock. I would love to see something similar in the new movie just scaled down a bit. Who knows JJA did say it was his favorite scene from TMP.