The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Larger toy pics - phaser not a prototype
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Why do people hate the phaser? The canonists must be happy it takes its rotating phaser design from the TOS prequel 'The Cage' Is that not double standards?
Actually the laser sidearm from "The Cage" had controls mounted around the barrell that rotated along the axis of the barrell. In the case of the "new" version, there are two different barrels that switch places in a rotation within the front of the gun. Kind of overcomplicated if you ask me and it definitely does not resemble the laser from "The Cage" and therefore not a double standard at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
I never considered 'The Cage' canon and I hate the 'Laser guns', but this assumes I give a crap about canon in the first place, which I don't... but if I did... an 'un-aired' pilot I don't think I'd count, anymore than I'd count a fan made production. All my gripes are purely based on how good or bad I think something looks all on its own.
In reality, most of "The Cage" is canon because most of the footage from that episode was used in "The Menagerie", which is canon.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think that "The Cage" was a terrific show, but not because of Pike's crew or the different props but because of the story which I found more interesting and sci-fi-ish than the second pilot, in which Roddenberry had to satisfy the studios's demand for more action and melee.
As particle weapons unleash more havoc than EM-emitters, Roddenberry did the right thing to relabel lasers into phasers, at least from a scientific point of view. He considered it something to fix, just like Spock was changed to incooperate the Number One character.
As these changes happened between the two pilots, I think that continuity is quite irrelevant, at least concerning lasers or the emotional Spock. Caring for continuity, which I understand and appreciate, should not extent to repeating errors or things that were fixed or changed early in the production of TOS:
Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
In reality, most of "The Cage" is canon because most of the footage from that episode was used in "The Menagerie", which is canon.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. OK in that case I'd agree, the bits that got used again in the later two-parter episode are indeed canon.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Federation Councillor

I always took 'The Cage' to be part of the official history anyway, not just the parts used in 'The Menagerie'. Since it was likely set a good decade before TOS, it doesn't really cause many problems to include it. Or, I didn't think so.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Lieutenant

Well you kinda gotta just pick the parts they used in the two-parter as the original Cage ending gave the girl the 'illusion' of Pike to be with her... but in the parts they used in the two-parter it was edited down to a different scene of it's 'actual Pike' there with her now and his body is fixed. So just there is a difference in original cut/used cut.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Federation Councillor

Well that's not too difficult, she had had her imaginary one for ten years since 'The Cage' until the real one came back to her in 'The Menagerie'.

But back to the props (as I couldn't get the images to open up before). The phasers and the Tricorder look fine to me. They resemble the originals, with some tweaks for modernity.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Lieutenant

Those T designs on top of the saucer are docking clamps for starbases.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Wow... And what does this say about those of us long-time fans who still totally recognize her in this new design? What worries me are the words "by any stretch of the imagination"... I just don't get it. To me, it's as though you're talking about a completely different type of ship when it's really not the case here. In my humble personal opinion of course...
I said it doesn't look like the Enterprise "as it should" look. Apparently, to a lot of people, it looks enough like the Enterprise simply because it has a saucer, two nacelles, and a secondary hull. Problem is, that could be the description for just about 90% of all Federation starships ever made, with a few exceptions (Miranda, Nebula, Oberth, Constellation, etc.). And as far as the appearance of the Abramsprise, it could be considered a completely different class of starship than the Constitution. Similar in shape, but totally different in execution. Kind of like the Miranda and the Soyuz. Same basic shape with enough differences to make them different classes.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

No because. To some of us the Abramsprise looks just very similar to the Jeffriesprise, simple as that. IDIC, just different perspectives.
And the Soyuz, well in that few quick shots she just looked like the good ol' Miranda to me
Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I said it doesn't look like the Enterprise "as it should" look. Apparently, to a lot of people, it looks enough like the Enterprise simply because it has a saucer, two nacelles, and a secondary hull. Problem is, that could be the description for just about 90% of all Federation starships ever made, with a few exceptions (Miranda, Nebula, Oberth, Constellation, etc.). And as far as the appearance of the Abramsprise, it could be considered a completely different class of starship than the Constitution. Similar in shape, but totally different in execution. Kind of like the Miranda and the Soyuz. Same basic shape with enough differences to make them different classes.
Yeah, I see what you mean now... Kind of like an Akira class and an NX class.