The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why modern designs are logical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Commander

More likely is virtual control pilots via communications buoys so that higher speeds and lack of artificial gravity have no effect.

If artificial gravity is not invented and it does have live people, I'm guessing something along the lines of a giant pizza cutter. The wheel can spin freely producing some acceptable gravity at the edge for living, the center is for storage where gravity is basically a non-issue and the handle is a big engine.

Personally I don't expect any such thing.
We'll manage to wipe ourselves out long before that becomes a possibility.
I have complete confidence in humanity.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Let the number of movie watchers be 100 and the number of Trekkies be 10. 5 of them are defenders of the 60s design in a 2009 movie.

There were two possibilities to make this movie.

Case 1: 60s designs are used, no visual canon is violated.
100% of the Trekkies and 10% of the general audience will watch this movie.
Result: 20 viewers.

Case 2: Modern designs are used, everything looks different and more futuristic, although the general shapes are still present.
50% of the Trekkies will watch this (assuming that the 60s defenders boycott it) and 50% of the general audience will follow them.
Result: 55 viewers.

Which is better for the future of our beloved franchise?
Case 1 could end the saga forever. Star Trek would be considered something old and the Trekkies will be considered nerds.
Case 2 could increase interest in our beloved franchise and keep it alive for unlimited time. And the MESSAGE of Star Trek would continue to spread! Trekkies could be seen as people who stand up against discrimination and want a better future.
Yep. If the 'Fans' think the Trek franshise is about them, and not $, they're as smart as Andorians...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Captain

Or about as smart as those who forget that the fans are where much of the $ comes from? Star Trek ain't exactly been surviving off the NFL fanbase for 40 years, nor was it Major League Baseball's ardent fans who got it into syndication, or got the prototype Orbiter named after the Enterprise...
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Vice Admiral

THANK YOU NCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
It's not entirely accurate because it ignored a viable third option.

His was either 100% old school or 100% new wave.

The "compromise" position was left out.
I would submit to those that would argue for this ‘third alternative’ are you absolutely sure that that is not exactly what they are doing?

The U.S.S. Kelvin looks VERY much like an updated TOS design, the shape and size of the Warp Nacelle and the saucer are prime examples and we have yet to see any interior shots of the Kelvin (that I know of anyway) if you were to take two Kelvin style nacelles and the Kelvin saucer with a fatter Kelvin secondary hull in the same configuration of TOS you would have something that looked very much like the old ‘E.’

From what we know of the story (SPOILER ALERT!) it appears that Nero attacks and likely destroys the Kelvin some 20+ years before the main thrust of the story, which would give Starfleet plenty of time to re-tool and redesign the Constitution class before the launch of the Enterprise. Think of it this way…

If a Japanese national went back in time to the 1920’s and launched a Kamikaze attack on a U.S. Naval vessel (or Wessel if you prefer) U.S. ships might have been designed with much stronger anti-aircraft abilities, and Perl Harbor would have been a very different event.

If you were in this new timeline in which the Navy was ready for Kamikaze attacks, the older ships would still look the way they always did, but newer models would have been substantially different as they would have been redesigned, and a ship launched in 1945 might have been as different from what we remember as the Abrams class Enterprise is from the old school design.

Food for thought.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
That would be Case #3: Abrams and company couldn't use the exact same designs from the TV show because CBS would have sued Viacom. The designs could be similar, but they couldn't be identical.

There's a reason why the saucer section looks so much like the one from TMP and why the phasers resemble those from TSFS, IMO--Viacom owns the rights to those designs, but not the ones from TOS.
No I don't believe that was the deterent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Or about as smart as those who forget that the fans are where much of the $ comes from? Star Trek ain't exactly been surviving off the NFL fanbase for 40 years, nor was it Major League Baseball's ardent fans who got it into syndication, or got the prototype Orbiter named after the Enterprise...
Indeed.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Lieutenant

The modern designs of the new film make sense because this is a 00s interpretation of what a 'Star Trek' future might be like, based on current times.

There is no sense in remaking a 60s interpretation of the future in the 00s. Unless you're going for camp (which they are in several design choices such as the womens' uniforms).

I can rationalize this "outside universe", but many fans seem incapable of it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
future... based on current times.
Aye, there's the rub.

Traditionalists don't see the future as being based on current times, but being based on... the future. Had you asked anyone in 1983 to envision a personal computer circa 2009, you'd certainly never have expected this:

or even this:

The fact is that no one in 2009 has any more credible idea of what technology of the 23rd century will look like than anyone in 1966 did, and those who designed the technology of this particular fictional 23rd century starting in 1966 up to 1996 already set it in celluloid.

Some updates are acceptable, warranted and even desirable. But throwing it out whole-cloth was none of those things, and my prediction is that having done that will yield more negative tangible results than positive ones.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Captain

My point is that the "vs." part of that is entirely unnecessary.