The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Has Abrams said definitely that there won't be a sequel regardless of success?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
And like TriggerMan said, everyone is signed for three movies already.
Which, as we can all agree, does not guarantee that there will be a sequel. But the actors will return if there is one!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Right, it's now standard in such a 'franchise' contract to sign actors and key participants to a three-picture deal, just to cover bases.

It's no guarantee a sequel will ever be made, but it does lock in their availability on an agreed pay scale. Basically, it greases the wheels of future production so all parties don't waste two years renegotiating everything before a sequel project can even begin.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 01-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Right, it's now standard in such a 'franchise' contract to sign actors and key participants to a three-picture deal, just to cover bases.

It's not guarantee a sequel will ever be made, but it does lock in their availability on an agreed pay scale. Basically, it greases the wheels of future production so all parties don't waste two years renegotiating everything before a sequel project can even begin.
Indeed.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Captain

I think it will be interesting to see what the sequel will look like...JJ has a way of suprising everyone, so maybe it won't be a sequel in the traditional sense (maybe more flash-backwards...or even flash forwards? Involving the future crews? You never know....)

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

It seems like there's sort of an offhand assumption that there will be at least one, if not more additional movies. I remember an interview with the writers touching on the question of a gay character and the response was that it wouldn't happen in this movie, but was definitely something they wanted to do.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Captain

There have now been two recent homosexual storylines...

One is in the Titan book series..

The other is in the ENT book "Kobayashi Maru"....but unlike Titan, this one is a non-human homosexual couple. It's a Klingon...

So maybe it's time to move off of the book pages and onto the screen?

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Well, I wasn't trying to revive that discussion (which has been shut down a number of times already). I was just pointing out that when someone says "oh, we couldn't do that with this movie, but we want to do that" it suggests an assumption of another movie.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Captain

I'd say that the fact that they are signed to 3 movie contracts means we're in store for at least two. There have been a lot of movies that did not do as well as expected at the box office, but had their sequels do very well.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Show me the money!

There'll be a sequel but who will be at the helm? That's the real question.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Commander

*I'd say that the fact that they are signed to 3 movie contracts means we're in store for at least two.*
Not sure about that.
There is a contract for 2 more, but that means nothing really. It's pretty standard.

Sometimes I suspect that Nemesis was really supposed to be the very last Trek movie, designed to be such. Essentially a washing of hands.

I just rewatched it for fun's sake and was checking out the DVD extras. This viewpoint point was pretty explicitly presented there.

Sequels for the new Trek... maybe. I know it was part of a multi picture deal with JJ for things other than Trek, so you could almost say it was arm wrangling on his part. I also suspect that renewed interest in the Remastered Trek bringing Classic Trek back to the public awareness as a possibility the studio would consider taking advantage of instead of continuing with what it already had and knew was a diminishing return.

The whole thing is one legalistic nightmare which JJ and company seems to have found a way out of it with his reboot without a reboot concept. I'm not sure the studio would want to exchange slots on negotiated picture deals to accommodate just Trek. They are accommodating him on this Trek outing and I woudn't look further than that for the moment.

My guess is that this is more a placement of faith in the director than the franchise. Changing the opening date is more a show of confidence on what was accomplished with Trek under new guidance and new direction than confidence in the property itself.