The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wild speculation about the TOS E...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Default Wild speculation about the TOS E...

Now, I know the Enterprise construction sequence from teaser trailer was supposedly not going to be used in the film but...

...I have been studying the two versions of the Enterprise construction as seen in the first teaser trailer and the shot of Kirk sitting on his motorcycle viewing the construction. There are differences... The city skyline for example (San Francisco) the scaffolding, the straighter nacelle pylons, the flatter area of the secondary hull between the pylons.

...what if the construction sequence from the teaser trailer is that of the TOS style E (with slight modifications) and it is used at the end of the film...

...Thus we would have a shot of the familar E being constructed in the San Francisco shipyards as a way of showing that the timelines has returned to normal...

It's a bit of a stretch, but...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Exactly, a good possiblity... especially since one of Orci's first comments about the trailer was that the ship shown 'under construction' MIGHT not be the ship we see in the film.

Which is true, and teasingly vague of course. If so, the reverse could well be true: the Enterprise we've seen may not be the Enterprise we end up with by the finale.

What if the timeline changes things to lead up *to* TOS, not away from it?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well then they would have said that the timeline is fixed again at the end of the movie.
And a slow convergence to the "normal" universe makes no sense, especially not in terms of a discrete change from STXI-E to TOS-E.
To me that construction scene in the first and second trailer look pretty much alike. The large nacelles were noted as distinctive feature in the first trailer, so it cannot be the old-school E.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Nero went back in time and killed a lot of Federation scientists and engineers which explains while every thing after TOS (including the new film) looks so much less advanced than TOS. All the stuff from TMP on exist in the time line of the new film. We haven't seen anything from the TOS time line since TAS.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Lieutenant

Here is one fundamental point about "rebooting" Star Trek in the manner they've chosen to do it. It makes all things possible and all things can still fit. I'm pretty sure nothing in this movie is going to rule out the primary events of any of the movies and to a slightly lesser degree, the TV shows. You may have to visualize some differences, but they're basic concept is that this movie's universe still ends up with one of those hundreds of Enterprise-D's in "Parallels".
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

I hope they'll do a saucer separarion, the secondary hull + nacelles will be destroyed... and everything except the dish has to be rebuilt

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Nero went back in time and killed a lot of Federation scientists and engineers which explains while every thing after TOS (including the new film) looks so much less advanced than TOS. All the stuff from TMP on exist in the time line of the new film. We haven't seen anything from the TOS time line since TAS.
"Relics". "Trials And Tribble-Ations". "In A Mirror, Darkly". Ring any bells?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I hope they'll do a saucer separarion, the secondary hull + nacelles will be destroyed... and everything except the dish has to be rebuilt
approved

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant

Scene of the 1701 Saucer towing her deflector dish with a tractor beam.

"Kirk! How in the name of the Great Bird do you LOSE HALF OF A STARSHIP?!"
"I think you should be thanking me for saving half..."
"SHUT UP! You're busted...report to Lieutenant Finney immediately!"
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Just throwing this out there. We don't know exactly what timeframe the Kelvin is in when it's attacked. We can assume that little Jimmy Kirk and his big brother Sam are alive and well somewhere on Earth at the time since JJ did say the both his parents and the Kelvin meet a "sticky" end in the battle. So how old is Kirk at this time. He may be 10-12 years old. Which makes it entirely possible that the Enterprise is flying around the cosmos under Captain Pike's command at that time. And it juuuust maaaaaay be close to the original TOS design at that earlier time. After the attack on the Kelvin, Starfleet decides to upgrade all Constitution Class ships to a more battle-ready design. It is also decided that to minimize possibility of a space attack, the ships are to be upgraded on Earth. The Enterprise is probably not first on the list since it was not built first. So by the time it gets to Earth for the refit when Kirk is in his mid-t-late twenties. That would explain the radical differences in the design of the TOS ship versus the Abramsprise. I'm not really a fan of this idea, but it's just a "what if".