The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The first twenty-five minutes...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I like it that he was "gob-smacked." I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like it's a good thing.
From Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: gobsmackedPart of Speech: adjDefinition: flabbergasted, astounded, shocked; also written gob-smackedEtymology: from gob 'mouth' + smacked 'clapping hand over in surprise'

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Looks like the marketing has begun!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
From Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: gobsmackedPart of Speech: adjDefinition: flabbergasted, astounded, shocked; also written gob-smackedEtymology: from gob 'mouth' + smacked 'clapping hand over in surprise'
That explains the term Shut your Gob!...that was what My old Irish Neighbor would say if he thought you were BS'ing him. Thanks for looking that up.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
From Dictionary.com:

Ahh. I had no idea it was a word, or I'd have looked it up myself.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I'm going out on a limb. It's Scotty he's referring to. I've had reservations about his character since the trailer was released.
Could be, although I remember some early reservations over Quinto when some viewed his early footage. Probably Scotty though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Looks like the marketing has begun!
It's only a little over 3 months now, so it won't be long!

Although I never take anything for granted until I see the film, at least these words come from someone who has viewed a good chunk of material.

Such words are always encouraging though.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Welcome Aboard...You'll make a fine addition to the crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
I am glad, Saquist, I pointed out something that we agree on--Phew! I didn't think it could happen. Hey Zim, your link works fine. You may have to scroll down to read the article. I suppose I could change it. Okay I will...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I'm happy to hear that Saq!
Believe you, me....
I'm not happy with myself.

I like being pessimistic about Star Trek. I've had my hopes let down far too often. Someone says "New Star Trek Movie" I cawk a shot gun and take aim. I'm TOO used to bad Star Trek Movies.

Believe it or not I'm desperate for Good Star Trek right now more than you guys know. Stargate Atlantis just went off the air and now I'm as sci-fi dry as the Betty-ford clinic is Alcohol Free. I just want good Trek though, not the cheap stuff.

It actually looks like they're selling the pure stuff this may.
Oh GOD....I haven't had a real Trek High in such a long time!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Could be, although I remember some early reservations over Quinto when some viewed his early footage. Probably Scotty though!

I believe it has to be Scotty...he's the only actor that doesn't darn near shadow his TOS counterpart for looks.

It's only a little over 3 months now, so it won't be long!
Thank Goodness...The wait is killin' me

Although I never take anything for granted until I see the film, at least these words come from someone who has viewed a good chunk of material.

Such words are always encouraging though.
They do tend to inspire hope.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
Here is a article from The Movie Blog... or you can read it here http://www.themovieblog.com/2009/01/...inutes-of-trek

25 minutes of the new Star Trek film was shown to select media and we have Jonathan Llyr from Hardcore Nerdity offers up his take on the whole thing here:
I’ve been skeptical about this movie from the beginning, but was trying to remain cautiously optimistic about the whole thing. I like Abrams, and never had any doubt that he would make a fine action picture. But would it be Star Trek?
The answer is - holy **** yes.
This movie is going to blown your brains out. I was gob-smacked at the production values, size and scope. All of the actors (with one notable exception) are bang on. I still have a few issues with the look of the bridge and the ship, but those issues have shifted to the background.
Since I haven’t yet seen the whole thing, I have no idea if the entire movie holds together. But from what I’ve seen, we are all going to have a great ride.
And man are you ever going to love Chekov. Never thought I would type that.
I feel sorry for whoever is the "notable exception". This movie could make the careers of some of these young, relatively unknown actors. I wish he gave a few more specifics as to whether he thought the actor simply wasn't right for the part or actually did a bad job.

Pegg looks the least like Scotty but he's such a good comic that I can't wait to see him. The guy who plays Sulu doesn't look very much like George Takei, etiher. Some people watched the trailer and said Quinto made Spock too emotional but that's what was in the script so I'd think the reasons for his outburst would be pretty clear. I hope he's not referring to Pine's Kirk. Maybe one of the red shirt guys who is supposed to die does a lousey job...

Ahhhhh!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Just out of curiosity, why assume that it's Pegg, or even one of the "TOS crew"? Hell it could be Kirk's father that this guy objects to for all we know, plus that's just his opinion, we could all be fine with this "notable exception"... lets make up our on May 8th, shall we?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Lieutenant

I love reading articles like the one posted, it just continues to make me more excited about the movie. In any case, I really believe that there will be a lot of nay sayers who won't be "nay saying" once they've seen the finished product. It's sounding like it'll be really good. Now, the hard part is the wait....