The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > SPOILER: Countdown Number One Review
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Captain

Default SPOILER: Countdown Number One Review

Can't believe I'm the first to post about this...

Picked it up today at a comic book store in downtown Chicago. First comic I have brought since before I could drive!

Interesting background on Nero, and his connection with Spock. For some reason, I got the whole "Praxis" feel....

Good cliff hanger with Data...I know the timeframe is supposed to set the plot about 8-9 years after Nemesis (based on stardates)....so do you think we're looking at B4?

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Ensign

I had a thought that maybe Nero was the romulan child trying to learn the vulcan language in the TNG episode Unification
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Commander

Just read it.
Will be hard to discuss without spoilers.

I think I see where the story is going though.
I deduced in another thread that Spock and Vulcan were the central focus for Nero.
I'm pretty sure that much is certain, but can now see how Kirk might have become added to the mix.

Nero is indeed Spock's Khan.

I'll add a cryptic speculation that it's too bad McCoy isn't around to see Spock, he's been dying to see this moment.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Great book! I read it last night. Hopefully everybody picks it up soon so it can be discussed in detail. Just wow!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

It is not available here in Munich before April

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Ensign

I picked up two copies today; one standard copy and one limited edition copy with no title and "movie Nero" on the cover. (Looks like the 4 special covers will combine to form a poster.) Anyone know how rare the special covers will be? I told the guy to call me when the other 3 comics show up, since they only received 1 movie cover yesterday.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Captain

I don't think we have to worry about spoilers....the name of the thread will keep those who haven't read it yet away.

Good thought about Nero being that child from Unification, except I remember he had a name, and I'm almost positive it wasn't Nero.

I thought it was cool to how Spock is now a citizen of Romulus...I'm pretty excited to see where it goes!

JSnyder4, what is your Kirk idea?

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Ensign

Just finished reading it, and I liked it a lot. I agree with others that it has a very Last days of Krypton/Star Trek VI feel to it. I liked how Spock was the Federation ambassador instead of the Vulcan ambassador. I'm very curious to see how Data somehow came into the position he is in... (Did the new TNG uniform remind anyone else of Enterprise, with the pips on the upper chest?)

As much as I enjoyed the comic, I almost wish we could see some of this back story played on film. I wonder how much of the post-Nemesis era will be shown at the beginning of the film. I hope we see Spock on some new ship, with a crew wearing these new uniforms...

...Still crossing fingers for a glimpse of the Titan...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Commander

*I don't think we have to worry about spoilers....*
Good enough, although the original poster may wish to rename the thread title just to make sure.

*JSnyder4, what is your Kirk idea?*
The mind meld and the close relationship between Spock and Kirk revealed there to him.

If, as I suspect, Nero gets his hate on towards Spock he would want to (as Khan put it): hurt you, and keep on... hurting you.

Rather poetic, in that Star Trek II revitalized the Star Trek name and this is the bookend hoping to do it again.

Certain concepts are being revisited from that movie, but in a new context.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Pips on the chest... is it the uniform from All Good Things, The Visitor and Endgame?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-