The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ the SW Fan Strikes Back?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Actually, if that scene of Kirk on the motorcycle reminds me of anything, it would be more of Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" than anything Lucas did...
If it wasn't for those buildings/construction docks/whatever those structures are in the distance that reminded me of the towering buttes of Tatooine during Anakin's ride, I'd have thought more Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape."
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
That last point was a good one Horatio. I think the battles will be going SW style.
As a Trekkie I hope the characters and ships do remain central, but, is this a Trekkie's movie, or Prequel SW generation? Can you accomodate both and be all things to all men....
It's not a Trekkie's/Trekkers movie first and foremost according to JJ...

He made it clear this movie was made for "fans of movies," and not necesssarily Star Trek fans.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Vice Admiral

I agree. HEY, Victory has fighters!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
It's not a Trekkie's/Trekkers movie first and foremost according to JJ...

He made it clear this movie was made for "fans of movies," and not necesssarily Star Trek fans.
I think thats what a lot of us are afraid of.
"Fans of movies" didn't make this franchise,and won't sustain it. It was a very specific thing , trekkies that resurrected Star Trek in the 70s, not "Fans of Movies". It has been Trekkies, that will demonstrate their loyalty, and watch these movies, yes, when they're at their best, and after First Contact, when the studio throws any kind of tripe at us. "Fans of movies" won't be attracted to Star Trek, because, here in Eire/UK, Sky has been saturated with it since the 90's. "Fans of Movies" already know its a TV show first and foremost, like Stargate. If you don't watch the show, or don't like the show, why will they turn out for JJ & Co on the basis of drivel like Cloverfield, Lost, etc....?

Just for information, I was barely born in the 70's, and more of an 80's child, but feel a great debt of gratitude to trekkies, otherwise we wouldn't even be debating this.

Last edited by thestartrekker : 01-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Some people like to imagine they have more influence than they actually do. Unlike a TV series's, a 150 million bucks blockbuster does not hinge on the fans, especially not on the ones who complain about tiny details and don't go into the theatres anyway.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I think thats what a lot of us are afraid of.
"Fans of movies" didn't make this franchise,and won't sustain it. It was a very specific thing , trekkies that resurrected Star Trek in the 70s, not "Fans of Movies". It has been Trekkies, that will demonstrate their loyalty, and watch these movies, yes, when they're at their best, and after First Contact, when the studio throws any kind of tripe at us. "Fans of movies" won't be attracted to Star Trek, because, here in Eire/UK, Sky has been saturated with it since the 90's. "Fans of Movies" already know its a TV show first and foremost, like Stargate. If you don't watch the show, or don't like the show, why will they turn out for JJ & Co on the basis of drivel like Cloverfield, Lost, etc....?

Just for information, I was barely born in the 70's, and more of an 80's child, but feel a great debt of gratitude to trekkies, otherwise we wouldn't even be debating this.
Everyone here is a fan of Trek...if not you ar simply wasting time in a foreign forum in the flotsam of internet debris. Secondly I really don't think that us "fans" hold exclusive rights to what should be shown on screen when it concerns Trek. Bottomline is this Trek Fans alone cannot sustain large enough box office returns to sustain Trek. In order to do so requires a certain amount of appeal from the masses. My friends that are not Trek fans in the slightest are going to go see this movie with me. Based only on what I have told them and what they saw in the trailer. Normally they would not even attempt to go to a Trek Film. Now they are saying:"This sounds really good, I have to see it."
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Unlike a TV series's, a 150 million bucks blockbuster does not hinge on the fans, especially not on the ones who complain
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
E Bottomline is this Trek Fans alone cannot sustain large enough box office returns to sustain Trek. In order to do so requires a certain amount of appeal from the masses."
I really have to disagree on this point. Star Trek could probably make enough, on its first few weekends to recover its costs, form Trekkies alone, and hell, even in the US alone. "Fans of movies" will not be buying the DVDs, and paraphenalia?(I'm a wee bit under the influence), that will go with this movie.
As I've tried to say in a new thread that refuses to post the last couple of times i tried, ----Cash Cow!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I really have to disagree on this point. Star Trek could probably make enough, on its first few weekends to recover its costs, form Trekkies alone, and hell, even in the US alone. "Fans of movies" will not be buying the DVDs, and paraphenalia?(I'm a wee bit under the influence), that will go with this movie.
As I've tried to say in a new thread that refuses to post the last couple of times i tried, ----Cash Cow!
No I believe it won't, not with the amount they are spending on this film. It will need others to come, watch it, watch it again, tell other people to catch it before it ends it's run and then want to buy the DVD. It will need people to become interested in Star Trek again, outwith the existing base.

Which is why he has to make a film not specifically for fans of Star Trek, but general movie fans who may have left Trek behind and need to be made fans again. People who were not fans before, but can be made interested by the film.

J.J (maybe foolishly) made the assumption that the existing fanbase would not be a problem in terms of desire to see the film, and so had them covered from the start. He thinks he's given them reason to stay, but he also needs to attract new people in.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Hmmm...a troubled young boy on a motorcycle, speeding across a countryside dominated by monolithic structures in the distance...

Is it:

Young James T. Kirk in STXI...

or is it:

Young Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine in Ep. II...?

Is this what they meant by "putting a little Star Wars in Star Trek"?
First, this is unoriginal since such a comparison was already made by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDAoqU9Ogc

And they make SW/ST comparisons throughout. It's basically an attempt to compare one past disappointment with this upcoming movie as a way to apparently support their position that this new movie will suck. After all, we have Kirk on a speeder... er... motorcycle, and a Scotty who acts like Jar Jar (another comparison from the youtube video).

And I don't buy it. A motorcycle? You equate one scene where Kirk is riding on a known Earth invention to that of the future Vader riding on a fictional, hovering craft. Good one!

How about the numerous space battles that span the movies prior to this upcoming one? Wrath of Khan anyone? And who was given the task of special effects for that glorious movie? Your friend and mine, Industrial Light and Magic. Those wonderful folks that also gave us the great sfx for the Star Wars films. And... it shows. Ah, Lucas, a marvelous man isn't he? Yes.

Whether you like it or not, Star Wars and Star Trek have been influencing each other for quite some time now.

Oh, did I burst a bubble? I'm sorry. Have a nice day.

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 01-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.