The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why planet vulcan is so important?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Lieutenant

I think the question is whether Nero wants to disrupt the Federation or the unification of Vulcans & Romulans (which is Spock's pet project, as seen in his appearance on TNG.) Perhaps he wants to affect both, or just create as much chaos as possible to create as big a ripple in the timeline as possible. I'm kinda' leaning toward the latter, given that he's being likened to a "pirate" Romulan, a loose cannon with his own agenda. Of course, I am merely speculating and I anxiously await the actual explanation when I see the film in May. I'm not really interested in knowing all the details of his plot before then.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
Okay here you go Jtrek

a break just for you.
Now I have seen it all here...lol
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's great to finally do a planet other than Earth and the Greatness of the idea is that people KNOW what a Vulcan is. It's one of those words that has made it into popular myth. We know this place. Vulcans are from there and they're logical and pointy...so saving vulcan is identifiable.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's great to finally do a planet other than Earth and the Greatness of the idea is that people KNOW what a Vulcan is. It's one of those words that has made it into popular myth. We know this place. Vulcans are from there and they're logical and pointy...so saving vulcan is identifiable.

Saquist , a vey reasonable observation , well done
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Now I have seen it all here...lol

LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Saint I wasn't trying to jump down your throat bud. Just making sure everyone under stood. Sorry if I offend you. I think he was really wanting to know everyone's opionon the situation.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Yes I think Nero could go back in time and just kill Spock in the attempt to stop Re-Uninfication of Romulus and Vulcan. (If that is his motivation int the film?) However I think he realized that just killing the one Vulcan that had the idea was not enough... the idea could occure to another Vulcan. Nero could not take the risk of that happening so eradicating an entire logical speices became his only option.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Having Vulcan at stake is a great idea, I think. We already know about Earth, so focusing on Vulcan adds that 'strange new world' quality. Also, it'll add to Spock's character, having him confront a threat to his home planet. Plus it's just a little silly - not to mention statistically improbable - to have the Enterprise saving Earth, and only Earth, in every other film
especially if they're the only ship in range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Vulcans are one of the Federation founder members, one of the most common species in starfleet, one of the most influential races in the whole Federation.
Besides: Vulcan is the origin of the Romulans. When Romulans think of the Federation they don't think of humans, they think of their brothers and sisters on Vulcan.
I think you have it. Personally, even a trekkie will get fed up with saving Earth, yet again. Someone else said people will identify with Vulcan, and I agree.
Shame they didn't realise this with Veridian III, people need to identify with the race being saved before they give a s*&t.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
especially if they're the only ship in range.

I think you have it. Personally, even a trekkie will get fed up with saving Earth, yet again. Someone else said people will identify with Vulcan, and I agree.
Shame they didn't realise this with Veridian III, people need to identify with the race being saved before they give a s*&t.
Yup. First of all The Enterprise is always the only ship in range.
Secondly I have to agree with the Veridian III statement.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Commander

*First of all The Enterprise is always the only ship in range.*
Well, that kinda goes back to the revisionism TNG adopted.
Star Trek started out as having the entire galaxy at their disposal to explore and patrol (Wild Wild Frontier) since only part of it had been cataloged but not explored; the Western was used as the model of basically forts flung about all over with dangerous space between them, including the Indians... err Klingons and Romulans which the audience could relate to in real world concepts.

Then TNG cramped everything down to just a small segment of the galaxy due to the revision of how their warp works (begun with FJD Tech Manual) and why there is confusion as to how TOS seems to zip around at speeds that TNG could only dream of; to show "advancement", but retroactively made TOS speeds slower to accommodate their new ideas; making things even worse.

See, Star Trek V had the original concepts correct (probably due to Shatner's influence) where the center of the galaxy could be reached without much time involved; it was the barrier itself that precluded prior exploration. Same for the edge of the galaxy. These original concepts are why TNG fans consider TFF as "wrong".

Instead of colonies and points of galactic interest few and far between; based on the theory of 1 in a billion of 1 in a billion of 1 in a billion etc - and where the "In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets, and in all the universe three million million galaxies like this, and in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us." quote originates from. These possible Earth type planets are all crunched together in TNG era and seemingly all populated where in TOS they were basically habitable points A and B with the scary and dangerous unknown in between. When they referred to "quadrant" they really meant quadrant, and they really meant only just a few (12) starfleet starships patrolling it (the Calvary motif). A starship could effectively get anywhere in the galaxy in fairly short order in TOS, but not so in TNG.

This is also why Kirk always seemed to run into classmates from the academy so frequently. There were not that many starships, starfleet installations or personnel and when spread out over the entire galaxy being the "only ship in the quadrant" took meaning especially if time itself was a factor.

Then, the FJD tech manual came out conjecturing other classes of ships in a more traditional naval role skewing the entire original concepts out of whack including numbers of ships, expanded upon even further with kitbashes in TNG along with the fanon ideas of warp progression which in no fashion whatsoever matched what was shown or implied on screen before revision.

Or, it was plot device.
But the reasoning for the plot device was forgotten.