The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Inconsistencies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Midshipman

Default Inconsistencies

The Trek Universe was full of seeming contridictions and inconsistencies, most of which stemmed from TOS not expecting to make such an impact.

They weren't terribly careful about every little detail, but since then, people have come up with explanations for just about everything including smooth foreheads on Klingons in the 23rd century.

Right out of the box, I notice what I thought was a glaring inconsistency in the Trek world when in the trailer, in the first scene, The young Kirk is driving a sportscar like a pro. Undoubtably due to his love for antiques. That much makes sense, but this was not an automatic transmission. It was a standard.

Now fast forward to TOS episode "A Piece of the Action". Kirk liberates a car and drives Spock a few blocks down the street almost giving them both whiplash. Spock commends Kirk on being an excellent Starship captain, but a lousy cab driver or something to that effect. Kirk didn't understand the concept of gears at all, noting that he had heard about or read about them someplace.

I know it was a decade or so later in his life, but how will they explain his total loss of memory regarding driving a standard.

Anybody else notice anything that doesn't seem to add up?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekkerBob View Post
The Trek Universe was full of seeming contridictions and inconsistencies, most of which stemmed from TOS not expecting to make such an impact.

They weren't terribly careful about every little detail, but since then, people have come up with explanations for just about everything including smooth foreheads on Klingons in the 23rd century.

Right out of the box, I notice what I thought was a glaring inconsistency in the Trek world when in the trailer, in the first scene, The young Kirk is driving a sportscar like a pro. Undoubtably due to his love for antiques. That much makes sense, but this was not an automatic transmission. It was a standard.

Now fast forward to TOS episode "A Piece of the Action". Kirk liberates a car and drives Spock a few blocks down the street almost giving them both whiplash. Spock commends Kirk on being an excellent Starship captain, but a lousy cab driver or something to that effect. Kirk didn't understand the concept of gears at all, noting that he had heard about or read about them someplace.

I know it was a decade or so later in his life, but how will they explain his total loss of memory regarding driving a standard.

they wont explain it. because its immaterial. it doesnt matter. its splitting hairs.
things like this have to just be let go.

because it doesnt matter.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

as stated before everything about the movie takes place in another timeline where Kirk can drive a car, a motorbike etc. So, if they were ever to make another episode titled "A PIECE OF THE ACTION" in that timeline then Kirk will be able to drive that car and give Spock the ride of his life!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
as stated before everything about the movie takes place in another timeline where Kirk can drive a car, a motorbike etc. So, if they were ever to make another episode titled "A PIECE OF THE ACTION" in that timeline then Kirk will be able to drive that car and give Spock the ride of his life!
Why not I think that would be funnier than hell and something I would love to see!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekkerBob View Post

Even without the alternate universe explanation, examples like the one above do NOT bother me one bit. Can kirk drive a car or not? Not something I consider "canon", just minor details that were written in order to add humor (or in the case of the new movie, action) to an episode. There are lots of these minor details that are really NOT worth scrutinizing.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It was an alien built car, based on descriptions of a car in a book, so the gear shift is different then a real car because the aliens built it wrong, so Kirk has a hard time driving it. Problem solved, cannon saved, the end.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
It was an alien built car, based on descriptions of a car in a book, so the gear shift is different then a real car because the aliens built it wrong, so Kirk has a hard time driving it. Problem solved, cannon saved, the end.
And it was based on a car from the 1920s.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
And it was based on a car from the 1920s.
Look at that, now we can all be happy about the car!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant

. . . and move on to the Enterprise being built on Earth.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Captain