The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI - The Video Game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a video game based on the movie?
Yes, I loves me some Star Trek Games! 66 77.65%
No, movie games are usually pretty bad! 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
ChessMess's Avatar
ChessMess ChessMess is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 54
Post Star Trek XI - The Video Game

There are been several rumors about the possibility of a video game tie in for this movie. Would you be interested in such a game and if so what type of genre would you want it to be? FPS, RPG, RTS, 4x, Casual?

Would you want Bethesda to handle it or a new publisher?

Cast a vote if you'd like to see a game with a specific movie tie-in.
__________________

StarTrek-Games.com - The Worlds Largest Site Dedicated to Star Trek Games since 1999! Over 5,000 Members and counting!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Aaleck's Avatar
Aaleck Aaleck is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 277
Default

Going to say no. 99% of the time they're just there to make a quick buck and are rushed and normally turn out pretty bad. I'd prefer no game rather than a bad one...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
ChessMess's Avatar
ChessMess ChessMess is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaleck View Post
Going to say no. 99% of the time they're just there to make a quick buck and are rushed and normally turn out pretty bad. I'd prefer no game rather than a bad one...
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Isn't it better to try and fail then to not have tried at all?
__________________

StarTrek-Games.com - The Worlds Largest Site Dedicated to Star Trek Games since 1999! Over 5,000 Members and counting!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Indiana Jones's Avatar
Indiana Jones Indiana Jones is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 82
Default

I think we know for definate that there will be a game, but I tend to agree with the second poll option that movie tie-ins are usually stinkers, which for people who don't play games that often like myself, is a reason not to bother.

Now, if somebody could uncover the recording sessions from Secret of Vulcan Fury and build something around it, then I'd be interested.
__________________
"Come on, if you do well you can at least put me in the sequel right?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Aaleck's Avatar
Aaleck Aaleck is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessMess View Post
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Isn't it better to try and fail then to not have tried at all?
Thats true, but I'm a gamer and if I play a crappy game I'm less likely to buy another game that shares the same title, in this case "Star Trek".. In all honesty, I would love to see tons of games but I think a bad game would probably hurt Star Trek as a franchise... since lots of people already have a low opinion of Star Trek
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
ralphdot2 ralphdot2 is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Not to add fire to the usual argument about star trek games, but has there been a good one yet?
OK, so most fans were expecting big things of legacy, but unless you had an xbox 360 of a top end PC then you couldnt play it, which i dont, but with all reviews out there, i didnt seem to miss anything.

All games had had small bits in them that make them memerable-- like shatner and batman in the starfleet academy game, or the over the top aliens in elite force. All games were good, but non were great.

Its been done before, but it worked, but cant someone combile Elite with Star Trek. You pick a position and join a starship. The captain has free range to explore or help whoever he/she likes.
Elite basically was a trading game to make money, but im sure the enterprise must have takes food toi the vending machines on starbase 35 from time to time.

What fans want is an epic Trek game, where they can just fly around the galaxy, going where no pixel has gone before, and at the same time be able to interact with planets and other ships.
This would also make a great online game too, just as long as they didnt end up in a all for one war, but saying that, they could be renegades if they do that, like the maques.
Hmmm, im getting into this now, just a shame i havent got the first clue about game programming.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Aaleck's Avatar
Aaleck Aaleck is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphdot2 View Post
Not to add fire to the usual argument about star trek games, but has there been a good one yet?
OK, so most fans were expecting big things of legacy, but unless you had an xbox 360 of a top end PC then you couldnt play it, which i dont, but with all reviews out there, i didnt seem to miss anything.

All games had had small bits in them that make them memerable-- like shatner and batman in the starfleet academy game, or the over the top aliens in elite force. All games were good, but non were great.

Its been done before, but it worked, but cant someone combile Elite with Star Trek. You pick a position and join a starship. The captain has free range to explore or help whoever he/she likes.
Elite basically was a trading game to make money, but im sure the enterprise must have takes food toi the vending machines on starbase 35 from time to time.

What fans want is an epic Trek game, where they can just fly around the galaxy, going where no pixel has gone before, and at the same time be able to interact with planets and other ships.
This would also make a great online game too, just as long as they didnt end up in a all for one war, but saying that, they could be renegades if they do that, like the maques.
Hmmm, im getting into this now, just a shame i havent got the first clue about game programming.
Elite Force wasn't so bad... Legacy was pretty good, I think if I played it on the computer it might've been better... It's kinda hard to conrol a star ship with a controller... I think the #1 star trek game has to be Bridge Commander 2... Though I think the patches and mods destoryed the game though...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 AM
ChessMess's Avatar
ChessMess ChessMess is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 54
Default

We'll as a developer on Star Trek: Legacy I can say it wasn't what we had hoped for (and originally envision), but that is a topic all unto itself.

There have been good Star Trek games. I personally *love* the Armada series, Armada 1, especially. Many love EF1, Bridge Commander, Birth of the Federation. None are without its blemishes, but overall they are good games, imho.
__________________

StarTrek-Games.com - The Worlds Largest Site Dedicated to Star Trek Games since 1999! Over 5,000 Members and counting!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
St. Martyne's Avatar
St. Martyne St. Martyne is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ukraine, Mariupol
Posts: 14
Default

I've been a longtime fan of Star Trek games, and I can say that there has been plenty of good games based on it. But most of the strategy and FPS games are focusing on Trek combat, thus missing the point of the series entirely.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary and A Final Unity are good examples of Trek games. Judgement Rites is the best one so far. Early text adventures like Kobayashi Matu were pretty enjoyable too.

Legacy was rather laughable. It might be a good game in its own right, but it certainly is not taking what was important in the series.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Matt Matt is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Default

At this point there is less than a year until the movie.

That would give developers one year, when they typically need at least two to create a good game from the ground up. That's for a major top studio like EA, Activision, etc.

At this point the only, and I mean only options for a "Star Trek" game based on this movie would be for a mobile system such as the Nintendo DS, Cell phones, etc.

The best idea is to develop assets for a game based on the next movie. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do some 3D scans of the cast right now while they're still on call.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.