The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > When i see the new bridge it reminds me.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Vice Admiral

And make sure "Snotty" doesn't re-arrange your body parts.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Has nothing to do with intelligence. I know that no one here is literally stupid enough to not see the differences. It's a shot at apathy. Apathy on the part of the people creating this -- "Gosh, it's haaaaaaaard to stick to the original continuity visually! Jeepers, it's haaaaaaaaaaaard to write a story that fits in flush with the original continuity! Gee, it'll be haaaaaaaard to sell!" That's apathy, and I'll be bold enough to go further, it's laziness.

No one here is stupid enough to fail to recognize that. However, it seems that many are either so hungry for anything with the logo that they'll just accept whatever comes their way, and that's apathy, not stupidity.
I see it exactly the opposite way...It would be "lazy" to recreate the old sets and spit shine with a little modern tech with CGI. That takes no imagination or vision at all...Now we have a new design that took many hour of design and labor to provide...hour of work that people slave over to produce..(and I bet are proud of) just to get shot down by some "Fan" because they did not regurgitate the 60's mode of design..Lazy is a term that if you said it to their face you get it Bioch slapped..HARD.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I see it exactly the opposite way...It would be "lazy" to recreate the old sets and spit shine with a little modern tech with CGI. That takes no imagination or vision at all...Now we have a new design that took many hour of design and labor to provide...hour of work that people slave over to produce..(and I bet are proud of) just to get shot down by some "Fan" because they did not regurgitate the 60's mode of design..Lazy is a term that if you said it to their face you get it Bioch slapped..HARD.
Then why revisit TOS in the first place? If they wanted to really do something "fresh" and "new" with the Star Trek universe, they should have introduced a new ship and crew. It could have been set in the TOS era, or the TNG era, or any other timeframe in between. That way, there wouldn't have been as much negative feedback, IMO. With a new and different crew and ship, some changes would have been easier to accept. I think what we "purists", "traditionalists", "canonists", or whatever you wish to call us are trying to point out is that this new movie takes place in the already established TOS era. We know what everything looked like from 79 episodes of TOS and at least 1 ep each from TNG, DS9, and ENT. Our concern is that the entire universe that we know has been redesigned. It doesn't look like the Star Trek universe that it is supposed to be taking place in. That's the problem. I'm quite sure that the story is just fantastic and that it will be a great movie, from a non-fan standpoint. For someone who is not a fan of Star Trek and never watched TOS, this movie will probably rock. Simply because they have no frame of reference. Which makes me wonder, if JJ and co. wanted to make this movie for non-fans who probably wouldn't know the difference between an Excelsior class and a Nebula class starship, why mess with the ship design in the first place?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Captain

This whole argument is moo.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Yes it is...but I just like to stir the S*** and rehash things I have said...because i have nothing better to do at the moment.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Like a cow?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Like a cow?
Like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter. It's moo.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Yes it is...but I just like to stir the S*** and rehash things I have said...because i have nothing better to do at the moment.
Now see, that's an attitude I can get behind.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Lieutenant

To me, the 2009 Enterprise is to the 1960's Enterprise as 2002 live-action Spider-Man is to 1970's live-action Spider-Man. Obviously meant to be the same thing, but since design technology and methods have improved so much since, it'd be a waste to NOT make it look better.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Now see, that's an attitude I can get behind.
Well someone has to do it?