The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > When i see the new bridge it reminds me.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Could you actually use controls on those angles, especially that close to your torso. I don't think so. The chair embodies absolutely the worst example of form over function I've seen yet from this film.
I have heard Air Force pliots say the samething about the controls on a F-16 and Navy/Marine pliots say that the F/A-18 is worse, but you get use to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
What an amusingly tiny little subject for me to pick a few nits out of, but what the hell, what else're we gonna do for 4 more months?

Could you actually type if the keyboard were split between those armrests? Look at the angle of 'em. Now take your right hand, hold it out in front of you and turn it 45 degrees counterclockwise so that your thumb is now angled toward the floor. Do the same with your left hand (rotating it clockwise, of course, to mirror the angle of your right hand.)

Could you actually use controls on those angles, especially that close to your torso. I don't think so. The chair embodies absolutely the worst example of form over function I've seen yet from this film.
I didn't say it was a successful attempt. Nor am I in defense of it. The attempt is clear however. Put the armrests angled in to give easier access to controls. Is it a failure? You may be right.

The point of my post - and thank you very much for missing it - is that the Galaxy Quest chair and the Star Trek XI chair are about as similar as the exerior Abramsprise is to the TOS Enterprise. I'm willing to accept that there is a resemblance. But if I agree that the chairs are the same, the people that proposed that comparison have to agree that the ships are the same. Hence the lose/lose situation.

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 01-25-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
What an amusingly tiny little subject for me to pick a few nits out of, but what the hell, what else're we gonna do for 4 more months?

Could you actually type if the keyboard were split between those armrests? Look at the angle of 'em. Now take your right hand, hold it out in front of you and turn it 45 degrees counterclockwise so that your thumb is now angled toward the floor. Do the same with your left hand (rotating it clockwise, of course, to mirror the angle of your right hand.)

Well, look at the picture. the chair was obviously designed for that leaning picture in mind! The right hand is now in the perfect position to operate the controls on that side and the other side is operated using the elbow! Simple!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
I didn't say it was a successful attempt. Nor am I in defense of it. The attempt is clear however. Put the armrests angled in to give easier access to controls. Is it a failure? You may be right.

The point of my post - and thank you very much for missing it - is that the Galaxy Quest chair and the Star Trek XI chair are about as similar as the exerior Abramsprise is to the TOS Enterprise. I'm willing to accept that there is a resemblance. But if I agree that the chairs are the same, the people that proposed that comparison have to agree that the ships are the same. Hence the lose/lose situation.
One again, the humor in my comment was completely missed.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
One again, the humor in my comment was completely missed.

I try very hard to see the humor in all your comments, but it gets lost in the COLOR.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
You forgot one.

4. Hat on too tight.

There were a couple other possibilities, but I don't want to get banned just yet.
I would tactfully suggest to spare yourself that disgrace and attempt to spare others their feelings even when it's toward you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
But it's one thing to have negative feelings about the film. It's another thing to have negative feelings about someone who likes said film (or at least what we've seen so far of it). I have a lot of friends who do not like the same things I do. My own girlfriend doesn't like some of the stuff I like ("24"), and I don't like some of the stuff she's into either ("Desperate Housewives").

We feel no less towards each other despite differences of opinions.

So there's two things here:

1. All of your loved ones, friends and family, simply share all the same opinions as you.
2. You're a hermit.
3. We are misunderstanding you.

I'm ready to accept any of the above explanations.
I would hope that maturity would tell us all even when other's have negative views that we don't need to reciporate.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I would tactfully suggest to spare yourself that disgrace and attempt to spare others their feelings even when it's toward you.

I would hope that maturity would tell us all even when other's have negative views that we don't need to reciporate.
Do you wear a doofy hat too?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican
I didn't miss your point, Miguel. I agreed with it, which is why I saw no reason to address it. As ergonomically criminal and aesthetically offensive as the thing is, I agree that it doesn't in any way resemble the chair from Galaxy Quest.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Captain

Personally, I'll throw my hands up if I hear, "Prepare for LUDICROUS SPEED!"
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Vice Admiral

And Uhura will say "All frequencies are jammed sir" and we will see raspberry jam dripping down all the display screens.