The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > When do you know you're going off the deep end?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Seems as if these folks don't allocate Trek in the 'entertainment, leisure, enjoy-yourself' part of their lives.
Sure we do. Even you can admit that there is a fine line between being a fan and fanatisism. Anything carried to far is not healthy.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Sure we do. Even you can admit that there is a fine line between being a fan and fanatisism. Anything carried to far is not healthy.
For example, a 200 lb rock, by yourself...

Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

The best film that ever covered "fandom" in any form was Galaxy Quest. Which reminds me, I really need to get that movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray if it's now available).

Galaxy Quest was much more tastefully done than Trekkies, and it was a sci-fi action comedy, whereas Trekkies was obviously a documentary. (Or a mockumentary if you apply a different meaning to the term. More like a "mock-you-mentary")

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
For example, a 200 lb rock, by yourself...
Exactly! Who in their right minds would do that for fun? Especially the length of a football field...which I have seen football fan do worse.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
The best film that ever covered "fandom" in any form was Galaxy Quest. Which reminds me, I really need to get that movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray if it's now available).

Galaxy Quest was much more tastefully done than Trekkies, and it was a sci-fi action comedy, whereas Trekkies was obviously a documentary. (Or a mockumentary if you apply a different meaning to the term. More like a "mock-you-mentary")
I agree that "Galaxy Quest" was a great film and mirrored Trek fandom in a fun respectful way but that film was a work of fiction. Another film I enjoyed which is about Trek fans is "Free Enterprise" which is also a work of fiction that tastefully nods to Trek fans, the jokes and references fly by so fast and furious that you'll be kept on your toes the entire film and non-fans would not get a lot of the dialogue ...... And it has Shatner in it. That is a film that only a true trek fan can appreciate and follow and kind of reminded me of my favorite scenes in Clerks when the characters are having a serious debate about construction workers on the Death Star.

Trekkies is a well done Documentay that showed how far some fans have gone with their fandom. A Mocumentary is a film like "This is Spinal Tap" which is a work of fiction. I didn't feel Trekkies mocked but rather applauded those fans featured and like it or not it is fact. People who judge all Trek fans based on what they see in Trekkies are the same idiots who think all Elvis fans are like those shown in "Mondo Elvis". Good documentaries like these films are meant to amaze, delight and scare you all at the same time. They are both unique documentaries about fanatacism that I don't feel were tacky or in poor taste nor labeled fans as weirdos or nerds but shined a light on unique people who march to a different drum.

Last edited by Sybock : 01-16-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I agree that "Galaxy Quest" was a great film and mirrored Trek fandom in a fun respectful way but that film was a work of fiction. Another film I enjoyed which is about Trek fans is "Free Enterprise" which is also a work of fiction that tastefully nods to Trek fans, the jokes and references fly by so fast and furious that you'll be kept on your toes the entire film and non-fans would not get a lot of the dialogue ...... And it has Shatner in it. That is a film that only a true trek fan can appreciate and follow and kind of reminded me of my favorite scenes in Clerks when the characters are having a serious debate about construction workers on the Death Star.

Trekkies is a well done Documentay that showed how far some fans have gone with their fandom. A Mocumentary is a film like "This is Spinal Tap" which is a work of fiction. I didn't feel Trekkies mocked but rather applauded those fans featured and like it or not it is fact. People who judge all Trek fans based on what they see in Trekkies are the same idiots who think all Elvis fans are like those shown in "Mondo Elvis". Good documentaries like these films are meant to amaze, delight and scare you all at the same time. They are both unique documentaries about fanatacism that I don't feel were tacky or in poor taste nor labeled fans as weirdos or nerds but shined a light on unique people who march to a different drum.

Well spoken. (And well color coordinated too) And now I must seek out this movie "Free Enterprise".
As far as the term "mocumentary", oh, believe me, I knew the original meaning...but that's why I qualified my usage of it by saying: "If you take it in a different meaning"...or some such thing like that.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:

Well spoken. (And well color coordinated too) And now I must seek out this movie "Free Enterprise".
As far as the term "mocumentary", oh, believe me, I knew the original meaning...but that's why I qualified my usage of it by saying: "If you take it in a different meaning"...or some such thing like that.
Thanks! And I'm right with you on getting Galaxy Quest on Blu-Ray when it becomes available, got the DVD and it is one of those go-to films I can't help but play more often than I should. I consider it one of the best Star Trek feature films made ...... And it's not Star Trek!?!

Check out "Free Enterprise" when you get a chance, I think you'll appreciate it. Make sure to watch the"Free Enterprise: Love Long and Party" - 5 Year Mission Extended Sprcial Edition because more is better as far as this film goes. What really makes the film is William Shatner as "Bill", It's Shatner playing a role he was born to play ..... himself, in an affectionate but cutting self-mockery way that displays not only a subtle sense of humor but also a surprising vulnerability.

Some (Myself included) consider this little indie gem a comic masterpiece! "Free Enterprise" is a film that not only has a character who is writing a screenplay about a serial killer who murders all the characters from The Brady Bunch but also works in Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, the x-men and dozens of other science fiction and 70's touchstones into it's dialogue. Star Trek is dominant above all, as it should be.

Now I got to see it again! Post what you thought after you see it.

Also check out this article in which the writers of "Free Enterprise" debate the "Pro & Kahn" of ST:XI-
http://trekmovie.com/2006/08/04/free...-khan-of-stxi/

Last edited by Sybock : 01-16-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Sybock. I will definitely go try to find it.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The only complaint I had about "Free Enterprise" was that the two main protagonists were far too yuppie for my taste. I've never really met fans who were doing that well, especially in a Bush I economy, back when it was made. That, and they REALLY needed to reshoot that scene where one of the characters goes into the "that's why we're aboard her" Kirk speech at an outdoor bistro. The wind was just destroying that scene, which would have otherwise been funny as hell.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
The only complaint I had about "Free Enterprise" was that the two main protagonists were far too yuppie for my taste. I've never really met fans who were doing that well, especially in a Bush I economy, back when it was made. That, and they REALLY needed to reshoot that scene where one of the characters goes into the "that's why we're aboard her" Kirk speech at an outdoor bistro. The wind was just destroying that scene, which would have otherwise been funny as hell.
The screenplay was written by Mark A. Altman and Robert Meyer Burnett and is semi-autobiographical. So they were either that yuppie or at least wanted to be. I'm thinking they were since Burnett also directed it and altman acted in it. I've met people JUST like the characters but they were not as fun to be around since they were not Trek Fans, for the most part they were SW fans for whatever reason.