The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > When do you know you're going off the deep end?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default When do you know you're going off the deep end?

Okay... I know we've all met them at cons. At times, we worried that maybe we were getting like that... and we should be careful not to take this stuff too seriously...

I'm talkin' about... crazy fans.

You know the ones I mean... the ones that convention security are warned to keep them away from the guests. The ones you don't want to accidentally "set off" by making some comment to about how maybe... must maybe... the latest Trek film wasn't so great. Those fans.

When do you know that maybe you're going off the deep end of fandom? (asked in a humorous, non serious way.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Rear Admiral

When you actually have a button on your communicator that signals Mommy for a ride home.

When you sqaure off with the people dressed like klingons..yelling "my bat'leth is bigger than your bat'leth".

When your costume cost more than your first car did.

those are just a few I have seen.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

When that fan ends up cheering and applauding louder than everyone else in the room over something that really isn't all that inducing of excitement.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Okay... I know we've all met them at cons. At times, we worried that maybe we were getting like that... and we should be careful not to take this stuff too seriously...

You know the ones I mean... the ones that convention security are warned to keep them away from the guests. The ones you don't want to accidentally "set off" by making some comment to about how maybe... must maybe... the latest Trek film wasn't so great. Those fans.

When do you know that maybe you're going off the deep end of fandom? (asked in a humorous, non serious way.)
Check out the documentaries trekkies & trekkies 2. Compared to these fans you are probably far from the deep end since you are asking this question. The fan I found the most disturbing was the woman who goes to work every day in ST uniforms and is addressed by her rank "Commander" at work (I think the picture below is her). So, If you think you are a Trekkie, Trekker, or just a fan of Star Trek in its various incarnations, check out these films!

Trekkies Product Description:
From stalwart starfleet jurors to a minion of miniature-golfing klingons this docucomedy takes a hilariously breezy and off-kilter look at the star trek fandom menace. Hosted by denise crosby of star trek: the next generation. Studio: Paramount Home Video Release Date: 08/19/2003 Starring: Hosted By Denise Crosby Run time: 87 minutes Rating: Pg

Trekkies 2 Product Description
Directed by Roger Nygard, TREKKIES 2 is hosted by Denise Crosby, the actress who played Tasha Yar on "Star Trek: The Next Generation." The filmmakers visit Star Trek fans all over the world, including the Spock of Germany, an Englishman who transformed his flat into a starship and auctioned it on the internet for $2 million, and the first convention ever held in Serbia. The film also checks in on some of the original TREKKIES profilees like wunderkind Gabriel Koerner and Whitewater juror Barbara Adams

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Lieutenant

Here are a few more Trekkies:

Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

I saw Trekkies, and have been to conventions...and I have to say, I found Trekkies disturbingly enlightening.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Um, actually, the guy who did the Trekkies films approached me about being in the second installment. I had done some Trek related art at a con, and he wanted to interview me about it. (It was a Trek focused convention, so I was bringing the stuff that particular demographic would be interested in.) I politely begged off. As much as I do like Trek, I don't consider it to be my defining feature as a person. Truth be told, I would have much rather have brought some of the bookcover illos I'd done, but I knew the sales of the serious stuff would have been much lower. But, you do a spray paint background, dabble in an Enterprise, and bingo! $$$$

Oh, and the woman you're talking about is Barbera Adams. Shes a staple here in Arkansas fandom. Quite a nice person, if you stop to talk to her. Yes, she's a bit eccentric, but in a fun way. The fact that I thought the first Trekkie film made her out to be a "lunatic fringer" was part of the reason I begged off.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Captain

Quote:

When you start screaming "THEY RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!!!"
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Seems as if these folks don't allocate Trek in the 'entertainment, leisure, enjoy-yourself' part of their lives.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
When you start screaming "THEY RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!!!"
I actually agree with this statement!!