The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Interesting Interview: Trek XI Prosthetic Makeup Designer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Lieutenant

Default Interesting Interview: Trek XI Prosthetic Makeup Designer

I didn't see this anywhere, so:
Full Interview Here

Quote:
Burman brings generations of make-up experience
The new Star Trek movie will no doubt have some cool, innovative aliens. In the past we have reported how JJ Abrams has wanted the film to seem as ‘real’ as possible and tried to keep the CGI character work to a minimum, preferring to use old school techniques. And the prosthetic make-up which brings these Star Trek aliens to life was designed by Barney Burman. As the artistic director and lead make-up artist of the San Fernando Valley-based Proteus Make-up FX Team, Barney Burman headed up the creation of the prosthetic make-up effects used in the new Star Trek.

Barney Burman is a third generation make-up effects artist. He is the son of Academy Award-nominated make-up artist Tom Burman, the first to coin the term ‘Special Make-up Effects’ and the first make-up artist to open a studio that was outside the major film studios (with his partner John Chambers, the designer of Mr. Spock’s Vulcan ears for the original Star Trek) . “I grew up around make-up effects,” the younger Burman told TrekMovie.com. “[There was] not quite as much sitting down and teaching as one might think but my father and my brother [Rob Burman], as well as a few other make-up artists like Steve LaPorte, Ed French and Rick Stratton, gave me a long leash to develop my sculpting and painting skills on the job. I also got to learn a great deal from some of the most talented artists in the business, people my dad would hire, simply by being around them and watching.” Burman began working for his father when he was 14, but did not initially pursue make-up as a profession. "From age 17 to 30 or so I pursued an acting career and really just did make-up as a way to make money," he says. It seems, though, that he ultimately found the world of make-up effects to be his true calling.

Burman has worked on over 80 different film and television projects since he entered the make-up effects industry. His first job was actually working in the make-up lab on Star Trek III: The Search for Spock in 1984 and he also did make-up work on Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Burman’s big break in the business was the 1995 film Powder as it was this project which got him into the make-up union. His credits have since included the films Galaxy Quest, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Planet of the Apes, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, and Dawn of the Dead. In 2004 he co-founded the Proteus Make-up FX with fellow make-up artist Steve Prouty. Burman first worked with JJ Abrams when Proteus was hired for Mission: Impossible III, and along with the HBO movie Anatomy of Hope, Star Trek is his third project with Abrams and he tells TrekMovie he hopes to continue their collaboration going forward.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Nice! Thanks for the linkage.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

That's encouraging. I love the old school stuff. I hope (but probably not) they did some real modeling work for the ships.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Captain

Good article! As long as the make-up is superior to the rubbery faces of the Remans in Nemisis, I'll be happy!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liked the Remans!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Captain

LOL!
Fair enough. (Warning: Dominus of Megadeus activating "Big O's" doofy mode again)
Me, my peepers told me they were walking, talking slices of Hog Head Cheese, and they weirded me out!
(ducks and covers head)