The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Emergency saucer seperation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Commander

Default Emergency saucer seperation

Do you think we might be seeing it in the film and how many would want to...as I understand it it's suposed to be a one shot maneuver for the Constitution Class.

-Free Enterprise
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Do you think we might be seeing it in the film and how many would want to...as I understand it it's suposed to be a one shot maneuver for the Constitution Class.
That would be really cool.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Captain

I would suspect that there will be no seperations as it has already been done. I don't think it is that much of a deal anymore. I do hope we get a nice view of the new Enterprise though, we have been getting that since the first movie. Since we have never before seen this version of the Enterprise, as I said, I hope we get to see her!!!! And plenty of her!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my opinion a saucer separation is the dumbest thing in Star Trek! They only did it like twice for a reason, because it was silly and a poor plot device. Plus where is there a cannon mention (and don’t give me the; “oh but it’s a reboot!” argument) of the Constitution class or any class, other then the galaxy class, performing a saucer separation. I’m fairly cretin it was developed exclusively for the Galaxy because of its large passenger content, regardless, it is stupid.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my opinion a saucer separation is the dumbest thing in Star Trek! They only did it like twice for a reason, because it was silly and a poor plot device. Plus where is there a cannon mention (and don’t give me the; “oh but it’s a reboot!” argument) of the Constitution class or any class, other then the galaxy class, performing a saucer separation. I’m fairly cretin it was developed exclusively for the Galaxy because of its large passenger content, regardless, it is stupid.
Eh, actually in several TOS episodes Kirk did threaten to use the "emergency saucer separation" and there are sketches prepared by Matt Jefferies that detail what it would look like.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

star trek fans want it all in one movie.
This is isn't Burger King...You can't always have it your way.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Lieutenant

Yeah even the original Enterprise can split off the saucer in an emergency but it's a one time destructive thing done with explosive bolts... I imagine this would trash the new ship's engineering section, or at least the neck section, which if you don't like the engineering section (like me) I guess that won't bother ya, but I get the feelin they want this new ship (including new engineering section) to be the main gig for years to come, so we are stuck with it... for a while...

Besides there will be more movies ya know, they don't have to put every single thing possible in the first one, anyways, don't ya know... you can't have your cake and eat it too! Though I'm still hoping at the end of the new movie Q pops on the big screen with a smile and says, "Gotcha!" then flash-poofs out... fade to black... the end...

Just kidding!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Lieutenant

A thought for your consideration: the new "Abrams" version of the Enterprise makes an emergency saucer separation toward the end of the movie; the saucer lands on a planet, but the secondary hull is lost in a warp core breach; cut to a scene of the ship being rebuilt, with a secondary hull & nacelles much closer to the original version.

I don't think it will happen (not sure it should happen,) but it's an idea I thought would make for some interesting discussion.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Commander

If they included a saucer separation, then all the "true fans" would whine so hard they'd probably soil themselves.
Quote:
waaah, that never happened in the REAL Star Trek!
Quote:
waaah, they're just selling out with stupid special effects!
Quote:
waaah, they're just trying to appeal to people who know The Next Generation!
...and so on, for at least six pages.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
Eh, actually in several TOS episodes Kirk did threaten to use the "emergency saucer separation" and there are sketches prepared by Matt Jefferies that detail what it would look like.
I just watched the entire Original series re-mastered DVD’s (I have had a lot of time on my hands, college student of holiday break!) and I honestly can't recall Kirk ever mentioning a saucer separation, but maybe they edited that out or something, or I just missed it. Also I prefaced the whole statement with the dreaded “cannon” so unless Mr. Jefferies drawings where on screen they are not “cannon” for what ever cannon is worth… regardless... I still dislike the whole saucer separation thing, but I'm probably bias because I never really liked the galaxy class. Again its all an opinion.