The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > what happend to mitchel, kelso and piper and april
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant

I'm a firm believer that there's plenty of creative room within canon to tell a Star Trek story without turning it into some sort of ''parade'' of all the TOS era characters.

Alternate realities and time travel are tired and too often used tricks of the trade in Star Trek lore and really need to be retired from the writer's toolbox.

That said, I have always been a solid believer in waiting to see what the new movie shows us and will continue to be until the credits roll next May. Then the gloves come off.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
That said, I have always been a solid believer in waiting to see what the new movie shows us and will continue to be until the credits roll next May. Then the gloves come off.
That's the surest thing I've yet heard!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
IAlternate realities and time travel are tired and too often used tricks of the trade in Star Trek lore and really need to be retired from the writer's toolbox.
They are not tricks, just like Starships are not just models to shoot but places to tell stories, they are an elements in sci-fi since H.G. Wells.
If you want no time travel and more lore, you might wanna have to change the genre
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Lieutenant

How do we know that No 1 is not on the enterprise? Just because we don't see her doesn't mean she is not on there. As far as Dr. Piper and Dr Boyce they might be there as well. I am sure that most Star Ships have more that one Doctor on board. I could be wrong about that of course. But If I was on a Star Ship of that size and with a crew compliment of 300 or more, I would sure as hell have more than one Dr. on board. As far as Gary Mitchell goes, he doesn't come on board till Kirk is the actual Captain of the Enterprise. And this movie Kirk is basically a stowaway.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Dr-wise you could be right. McCoy could be the Chief Medical Officer with more than one doctor in his department, just as Crusher was on the D. But we won't know til we see the film.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Captain

This is Star Trek only as far as it uses the names and has sequences in space. The "parallel universe" line is bs backpedalling, the TOS connections are marketing gimmick. If you want a popcorn flick, go see it, if you want Star Trek, don't bother.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
I didn't mean Universe literally. I meant what TV and movie studios MADE UP. You know Star Trek isn't real, don't you? "It's just a TV show for God's sake". Again, ST TOS isn't getting ruined. Your VHS and DVD's won't self destruct in May.
Okay. Enough. We ALL know this is "just a TV show for God's sake". I don't think anyone here believes Star Trek is real. If anyone does, they seriously need to get back on their meds. Let me elaborate on my statement that you obviously misinterpereted: The "alternate universe" that Orci attempted to explain in his interview is supposed to explain the differences and changes in the established FICTIONAL Star Trek universe. Hence the alternate universe statement I made. The whole alternate universe/timeline/reality paralell whatever is a cop-out explanation for completely disregarding everything except the names and uniform colors so JJ can do Star Trek "his way". And no, my DVD's won't self destruct, but the events and episodes contained therein will cease to have meaning in this "New Frontier" that the movie is starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
This is Star Trek only as far as it uses the names and has sequences in space. The "parallel universe" line is bs backpedalling, the TOS connections are marketing gimmick. If you want a popcorn flick, go see it, if you want Star Trek, don't bother.
RIGHT ON!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

And don't you dare watch Yesterday's Enterprise or all the mirror episodes!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Lieutenant

Yay, is it time for one of these threads again? Well here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braylix View Post
I have been seeing the trailers for the new star trek, and im courious as to what happend to the other bridge crew, in the new movie they have sulu and checkov, well correct me if im wrong, checkov was not there for the first missions,
Depends. Things are a little different. Enterprise is launching much later than in the original universe.

Quote:
the navigator who was also the first officer and kirks best friend commander gary mitchel?

the helmsmen was LT. kelso(sulu was dept.head for some science watch the piolet where no man has gone before)

and dr piper was the orginal doctor on the enterprise,
They are all in line to watch the movie. Problem solved.

Quote:
and will they mention the first captain of the enterprise ncc1701 robert april
Who was never official. Outside of a decanonized "The Animated Series" and a few book references, he is as good as fan-fic.

Quote:
thats the one big problem I have with star trek, they are not faithful to the fans and DO NOT DO HOMEWORK
Which of course is not your place to say. Did you notice that this is the only thread on the entire front page like this? You don't see thread after thread complaining about this do you? So obviously most of THE FANS aren't in your boat or feel that they are being "unfaithful" to us.

Yes, they DID do their homework but that doesn't mean some things didn't change in the movie. Perhaps you need to actually watch the movie (HEY WHAT A NOVEL IDEA.)

Quote:
in my opinion they should have left the TOS alone and if they wanted to do a series in the time lime use one of the other 12 starships and introduce a new crew just my two cents worth
So... you admit it's an altered timeline but can't figure out why some things are different? Brilliant.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
This is Star Trek only as far as it uses the names and has sequences in space.
So, it is no different than any other Star Trek.

Quote:
The "parallel universe" line is bs backpedalling, the TOS connections are marketing gimmick. If you want a popcorn flick, go see it, if you want Star Trek, don't bother.
One word: Nope. Try again troll.