The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > what happend to mitchel, kelso and piper and april
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs down what happend to mitchel, kelso and piper and april

I have been seeing the trailers for the new star trek, and im courious as to what happend to the other bridge crew, in the new movie they have sulu and checkov, well correct me if im wrong, checkov was not there for the first missions, and sulu was not helmsmen and mccoy was not the doctor, so my question what happend to the the orginal bridge crew, example

the navigator who was also the first officer and kirks best friend commander gary mitchel?

the helmsmen was LT. kelso(sulu was dept.head for some science watch the piolet where no man has gone before)

and dr piper was the orginal doctor on the enterprise,

and will they mention the first captain of the enterprise ncc1701 robert april

thats the one big problem I have with star trek, they are not faithful to the fans and DO NOT DO HOMEWORK
in my opinion they should have left the TOS alone and if they wanted to do a series in the time lime use one of the other 12 starships and introduce a new crew just my two cents worth
Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Lieutenant Commander

This is not TOS. This is a new story in the Trek universe. I'm sure JJ & crew did their homework and know about these characters. They are simply telling a different version of the story. TOS is still available for all to enjoy on-line, on tape or remastered DVD. There is room for both.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's an alternate reality.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by braylix View Post
I have been seeing the trailers for the new star trek, and im courious as to what happend to the other bridge crew, in the new movie they have sulu and checkov, well correct me if im wrong, checkov was not there for the first missions, and sulu was not helmsmen and mccoy was not the doctor, so my question what happend to the the orginal bridge crew, example

the navigator who was also the first officer and kirks best friend commander gary mitchel?

the helmsmen was LT. kelso(sulu was dept.head for some science watch the piolet where no man has gone before)

thats the one big problem I have with star trek, they are not faithful to the fans and DO NOT DO HOMEWORK
in my opinion they should have left the TOS alone and if they wanted to do a series in the time lime use one of the other 12 starships and introduce a new crew just my two cents worth
It's a 2 hour movie. You can only put so many shoes in a box.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by braylix View Post

These are really good points and I have made the same points myself in other threads. Only to be ridiculed, called names, and cursed at for my arogance in believing that Star Trek should adhere to its own continuity. And what about "Number One"? Where's she? And if you want to get technical, if this movie is supposed to be taking place in the timeframe between "The Cage" and "WNMHGB" (approximately 11 year timespan), Chekov, Bones, and Uhura shouldn't be there. That's because in "The Cage" (although not "canon", still counts because most of the footage from that episode was used in "The Menagerie") Spock was the only regular TOS cast member that made it to the actual series. And in "WNMHGB", which was actually the 2nd pilot and thus the 2nd episode chronologically, the only regular TOS cast members to appear on screen were Kirk, Spock, Sulu, and Scotty. Bones and Uhura were nowhere to be found in either episode. And the ships doctor in Cage/Menagerie was Dr. Boyce, and in WNMHGB it was Dr. Piper. Again, no McCoy or Uhura until the Regular season of TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
This is not TOS. This is a new story in the Trek universe. I'm sure JJ & crew did their homework and know about these characters. They are simply telling a different version of the story. TOS is still available for all to enjoy on-line, on tape or remastered DVD. There is room for both.
Yes, this is TOS. It is taking place in the timeframe of the 23rd century which is where TOS happened. It has Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Scotty, Chekov, and Sulu - hence - TOS. Yes, it is a new story, but it is supposed to be about how the original TOS crew came together. Again, TOS-based. Given what we have been shown thus far, it is apparent that they did not do their homework. They apparently just threw the whole crew together without any regard to their positions in the chronological history of the Star Trek universe. Oh, yeah. I forgot, this isn't the original Star Trek universe. It's and alternate Universe. And we're not actually seeing how the TOS crew that we know came together, we're seeing a different crew from a different universe that was created by Nero's interference. We will find out how that crew came together, but not how our crew came together. Interesting. And disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
It's an alternate reality.
That explains everything.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

I guess that most of us would like to see Pike and his crew as we know them from The Cage, just as we would like to see Marcus and Mitchell, long scenes with Sarek and Amanda and Kirk's family, the McCoy fans among us would also like to see more of Bones's origins and not only Kirk and Spock in their youth.
But as mmoore said, it is only a 2h movie, so they had to prioritize. Marcus and Mitchell could still have cameos or be referred to in inside-jokes (if Porthos will be referred to, I'd bet real money that Marcus or Mitchell will be too). Pike's crew will not be shown, because three starship crews (or four if one demands that April is also in it) are too much for one movie and because Pike's mentor-role might play out better, more main character - centered and interwoven with the story than an episodical tale of the different Captains of the Starship Enterprise which is unrelateds to the main story or the main characters.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Federation Councillor

There simply isn't time for peripherals like number one, Piper etc - who are essentially footnotes in the grand scheme. The film has to go with the crew that was the crew for the majority of the series. Others are hard to squeeze in anyway, and they should only be done when they can fit with the general story anyway, or it becomes a variety show special of 'look who's next!'
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Oh, yeah. I forgot, this isn't the original Star Trek universe. It's and alternate Universe
I didn't mean Universe literally. I meant what TV and movie studios MADE UP. You know Star Trek isn't real, don't you? "It's just a TV show for God's sake". Again, ST TOS isn't getting ruined. Your VHS and DVD's won't self destruct in May.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

We could we happy if we get much origin / academy scenes about the other five besides Kirk and Spock. This movie is already crowded with characters and any additional one, even one being closer to the 7 than anyone from Pike's crew like let's say Nurse Chapel would simply steal time from a main or secondary character.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Commander

*I have been seeing the trailers for the new star trek*
Cool. Whatcha think? Aside from the big thumbs down you have posted.

*and im courious as to what happend to the other bridge crew*
Starships can be run with minimal crew. We've seen that.
Auxiliary Control rocks.

*in the new movie they have sulu and checkov*
They do. Sad really. Those guys were really just bit players.
Kind of like glorified roadies snatching up the dregs left over.

*well correct me if im wrong*
Will do.

*checkov was not there for the first missions*
Sure he was. He was scrubbing the lower decks when Khan spotted him and remembered him for his attention to cleanliness and detail. He claimed Russia invented Superman and Khan never forgave him, but Khan was a patient dude.

*and sulu was not helmsmen*
Well crap. Who flew the bird then? Must have been the autopilot from Airplane!

*and mccoy was not the doctor*
I knew that whole P.H.D. thing was falsified. Spock was onto him immediately as a quack. Why oh why did nobody believe him?

*so my question what happend to the the orginal bridge crew*
Replicator malfunction. Brutal, ugly and disturbing. Somehow they ended up with a three armed and three legged thing. Dunno what became of the extra parts.

*the navigator who was also the first officer and kirks best friend commander gary mitchel?*
Neutered by a blonde lab tech. Never recovered. Fine soprano though, his career really took off.

*the helmsmen was LT. kelso*
Demoted due to continual negligence of leaving hoses and piping everywhere to be tripped over. Riker even had a holo-simulation class on this as Kelso was a historical first rate example of "what-not-to-do" in Starfleet.

*sulu was dept.head for some science watch the piolet where no man has gone before*
Oh, he was just rolling some doobies down there for Kirk. Some kickin' Thai-stick he fooled everyone into believing was some animated plant named Margaret Cho.

*and dr piper was the orginal doctor on the enterprise*
He was Sulu's main man for head supplies. They didn't call him "The Piper" for nothing. What a whittler'!

*and will they mention the first captain of the enterprise ncc1701 robert april*
Robert April is the code name for Cannabis in the 27th century so that customers would know a delivery was coming. "Hey man, is Robert April on board today?"

*thats the one big problem I have with star trek, they are not faithful to the fans and DO NOT DO HOMEWORK*
Scholastic priorities are important.
The fans? Yes, the fans are a highly unified bunch who support Trek wholeheartedly and without complaint. Very loyal bunch.
Neglecting them is atrocious.

*in my opinion they should have left the TOS alone and if they wanted to do a series in the time lime use one of the other 12 starships and introduce a new crew*
Oh absolutely. Captain Crunch and Dr. Spock are far better known. Ask anybody on the street. Those names everybody knows.

*just my two cents worth*
You overpaid.

Last edited by JSnyder4 : 01-13-2009 at 10:34 AM.