The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Golden Globes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

I just wish the show writers had given Pine and Quinto a much less LAME intro to read. "Hi, we're in STAR TREK... but we're not here to talk about STAR TREK." Oy. But the guys were personable, handsome and did they best they could with it.

Btw, I seem to recall some talk a while back from those concerned that Pine wasn't 'tall enough' to play Kirk against Zach's Spock. They looked roughly the same height to me on stage. Don't know what that concern was about, but it seems little reason for concern after their appearance last night.

Glad to see Pine and Quinto got a good 'plug in' for their work and the film. I'm sure much better opportunities will come along soon where they can really shine.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Btw, I seem to recall some talk a while back from those concerned that Pine wasn't 'tall enough' to play Kirk against Zach's Spock. They looked roughly the same height to me on stage. Don't know what that concern was about, but it seems little reason for concern after their appearance last night.
I noticed that too. I always thought Spock was taller anyway and when I saw the two standing side by side, they did look pretty much the same height.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Quinto is very thin and Pine actually sounded like Kirk. Or at least spoke like him.

I noticed how thin Quinto looked too. It might have been because of the narrow tie.

He was very reserved. Very Spock. Pine was Kirk. Not too much cockiness, just the right amount.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quinto's rather thin, and was when I saw him last April. That certainly helps him fit the Spock mold... though the bangs haircut does tend to round out his face a bit more than it did Nimoy -- just slightly different physiologies. Seeing Quinto in action in character will be the real test -- very promising results so far.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Lieutenant Commander

It's already a positive step.

The two stars of the movie appearing at such a high profile event.

I don't recall Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner promoting NEM in such a manner.

Everything about this new Trek movie screams "megablockbuster"

Which is a welcome thing.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I noticed that too. I always thought Spock was taller anyway and when I saw the two standing side by side, they did look pretty much the same height.
Did you ever notice the height of Nimoy's 'High-heels' though?

(Very tall.)

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Quinto's rather thin, and was when I saw him last April. That certainly helps him fit the Spock mold... though the bangs haircut does tend to round out his face a bit more than it did Nimoy -- just slightly different physiologies. Seeing Quinto in action in character will be the real test -- very promising results so far.
I have to admit I do wish I could see the actors in person. I saw Michael Dorn years ago. What a hunk! I'm so glad he's now in Heroes... without makeup.

Did you see Quinto at a Star Trek event? I heard he also campaigned last spring to get young people to register to vote... which I thought was a wonderful thing to do. Very cool.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
It's already a positive step.

The two stars of the movie appearing at such a high profile event.

I don't recall Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner promoting NEM in such a manner.

Everything about this new Trek movie screams "megablockbuster"

Which is a welcome thing.
JJ is probably hoping this movie does for Star Trek what Christian Bale and crew did for Batman. I think the timing is perfect. Obama as president, facing all these big problems. The world will be ripe for Star Trek.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Did you see Quinto at a Star Trek event? I heard he also campaigned last spring to get young people to register to vote... which I thought was a wonderful thing to do. Very cool.
I covered the Grand Slam 16 event on my website, which was the first side-by-side appearance of Quinto and Spock just after filming had wrapped up. Their joint appearance was loads of fun, even if they couldn't tell much about the film. Quinto still have vestiges of his hairdo, pointy eyebrows and sideburns. Nice guy and very personable with fans' questions (and you know how that can go!).

Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Ensign

Thanks for the link to the video.
Is it just me or did Chris Pine do a persiflage of Shatner? The choppy talk? I thought it was fun.
Anyway I felt that the Star Trek talk was a bit overdone. The announcement at the beginning would have been enough promotion. That they picked it up was too much. To me it seemed inept.