The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Greatest Characters. Period.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Ensign

Default Greatest Characters. Period.

This show is amazing and it stands the test of time because of three people: Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

The chemistry between the three of them is the entire reason we have what we have now with Star Trek. Nimoy called it "lightning in a bottle" and he was right. I am not going to pitch the concept of brains, heart, and Kirk in between or some bizzare holy trinity thing... it's just watching those three week to week in the sixties or disc to disc now.

The biggest challenge for J.J. Abrams' new film is to some how distill that chemistry and present it again. Was it really Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly? How much of that is on the page? Can lightning be re-captured?

So long as the chemistry is there, that ineffable quality will resonate with all the new viewers.

I'm so excited that all the quite Trek fans will get to come out again next year. It's going to be nice to let us all nerd out over something great.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Lieutenant

I'm looking forward to the film.
I'm a little apprehensive, tho.....
Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Ensign

It will be interesting to see how they approach it.

Staying strictly with canon, Kirk and Bones would know each other, but Spock doesn't know them yet. Obviously, they're going to have to interact (it would be pretty boring otherwise), so it'll be interesting to see how Abrams will make it all work.

I'm so friggin' excited for this movie! Whoo!

"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

"Please captain... not in front of the Klingons."

"Fascinating."
Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain John Belushi View Post
The biggest challenge for J.J. Abrams' new film is to some how distill that chemistry and present it again. Was it really Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly? How much of that is on the page? Can lightning be re-captured?

So long as the chemistry is there, that ineffable quality will resonate with all the new viewers.
To answer your first question, I'd say it was both the actors and the scripts combining to create that likable triangle. As writers developed the characters on page through new episodes, talented actors took that material and made it their own.

The new film can't (and shouldn't) try to deliver us Shatner, (60s) Nimoy and Kelly again, but if well-written it can deliver the genesis of Kirk, Spock and McCoy and set up that chemistry which would follow.

I won't know until I see it, but I think casting Karl Urban as Bones may well be a key to recreating the trio's chemistry. He has a very serious side to him which he shares with DeForest's work which makes it easy to imagine the irascibility of Bones. Through in McCoy's wry wit and sarcasm and Urban might well surprise many fans.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Midshipman

Myself and the local fanbase where I live have mostly agreed that what the recent iterations of Star Trek lack has been the basic nuts and bolts of discovery. Even though "Enterprise" made a good attempt at revitalizing the mantra of boldly going where no man has gone before, this will be the first time in the history of Star Trek that the original theme of that first discovery will be brought to light as the central theme.

The teaser literally explodes from the screen and knocks you back in time to those first small steps. When I saw it for the first time, I had no idea or expectation that it was going to run before Cloverfield. And for the first 15 minutes of the movie I couldn't wipe the giddy school boy smile off of my face!

It was like cramming the raw emotion of watching the entire original series into a single 30sec adrenalin rush...if Gorn had tear ducts, I would have cried!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Lieutenant

Well the TOP TEN characters from TOS are...

1... Captain James T. Kirk
2... Spock
3... Dr. Leonard McCoy
4... Khan
5... Harry Mudd
6... Mr. Scott
7... Trelane
8... Captain Koloth
9... Captain Kor
10... USS Enterprise NCC-1701
Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Lieutenant

Too many to choose from....
Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The entire cast was just amazing.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I won't know until I see it, but I think casting Karl Urban as Bones may well be a key to recreating the trio's chemistry. He has a very serious side to him which he shares with DeForest's work which makes it easy to imagine the irascibility of Bones. Through in McCoy's wry wit and sarcasm and Urban might well surprise many fans.
Bless you!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk and Spock are a tie for me because I like them both for separate reasons, but if someone put a phaser to my head and told me to pick one, I would pick Spock. Khan is my favorite villian of TOS and out of the movies as well. Then I would have to say McCoy followed by Scotty.