The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon Debate - Does it exist & is Canon important to you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
So you haven't, um, you know, since 1989?
Not since last night at 9 , thank you.

"I think it was 9, but I’m not going to ask her because she cares more about small irrelevant details than the Saint does. Besides I've learned never to pi$$ off a cuban women."

(Is it possible that Orion slave girls are based on Cuban women?)
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Be that as it may...I still have this sneakin' suspicion that we are all going to be pleasantly surprised by this film.
Of that, I have no doubt.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
Not since last night at 9 , thank you.
"I think it was 9, but I’m not going to ask her because she cares more about small irrelevant details than the Saint does. Besides I've learned never to pi$$ off a cuban women."

(Is it possible that Orion slave girls are based on Cuban women?)
"Small irrelevant details?" An admission of sorts, James T?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant

[quote=CDH-313;139328]If JJ & company had said from the beginning that this was a complete reimagining/reboot (as Ronald D. Moore did with BSG,) you would have a point. But their insistence that this would fit into established canon is what gave some fans the false hope that the ships, etc., would be consistent. Knowing it was an "alternate timeline" version, they should not have been so absolute in their statements.

I agree with you that the superficial changes we've seen are not as big a problem as some have made them out to be. I've stated many times on these forums that I don't see that as a reason to shun this movie. I was merely supporting MigueldaRican's point that there is no real comparison with the fact that the movies showed changing bridge sets, etc., because the films follow a forward progression in time, allowing for the changes to be reasonably believable.[/quote]

I agree with that statement, but don't thank it has to do with this movie giving that it is a reboot.Yes it is starting at point, technology wise, that we all know, but I don't thank it's going to take away from what we know. I thank that in the next movie, if made, there will be a forward progression from ST:XI. Anyway, any adherence to canon or disregard of it is acceptable IMHO as long as they produce a enjoyable movie.

In many ways some can say that Ronald D. Moore completely raped the original, but still made an enjoyable show. Does that mean it should not have been made, that people should not watch it?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
"Small irrelevant details?" An admission of sorts, James T?
what are you tring to say, you mean I have to remember ever detail of encounters with a women, including the exact starting time.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
what are you tring to say, you mean I have to remember ever detail of encounters with a women, including the exact starting time.
Thought it might be an anatomical reference, that's all.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Only1jamest- What happened after Generations? First Contact? Insurrection? I hope you had more than just Trek movies to entice dates to "put out"?
I went to Generations with a "friend" strickley platonic. I saw FC with my family, and Insurrection with my college english professor, who I would had her husban not been there.

Chick flicks seem to work better than trek, but horror films get the most action, IMHO. But my best advice is to "just be nice to the ladies son and they will be nice to you.

Did not run spell check because I just dont care...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Thought it might be an anatomical reference, that's all.

I can lie better than that.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I can lie better than that.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
If JJ & company had said from the beginning that this was a complete reimagining/reboot (as Ronald D. Moore did with BSG,) you would have a point. But their insistence that this would fit into established canon is what gave some fans the false hope that the ships, etc., would be consistent. Knowing it was an "alternate timeline" version, they should not have been so absolute in their statements.
Precisely. They sold it as the real deal until photos came to light, then they backpedaled. And as for the 'nostalgia' angle -- that's the only reason to use the names and relative likenesses of the TOS characters. If they're going to go that far, they may as well go all the way. Nobody's asking for cardboard -- we're asking that an effort be made to stay true to the original given the fact that they're using (at least vague approximations of) the original characters. An effort to make this not look like a post-TNG film set in the pre-TOS timeframe.

An effort. Instead, they give us, "It's not a reboot! It's NOT A REBOOT!" Then the pictures come out. "It's not a... oh, s**t. Um... okay, well, it's um... a PARALLEL UNIVERSE! YEAH! See? Still not a reboot!"

Please.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."