The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trek Effect
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Commander

Before everybody gets all uptight about the sound effects and phasers and all that, you have to remember that this is a BIG SCREEN Star Trek in a THEATRE environment. What works on the small screen in your living room isn't necessarily going to work the same in a movie environment. Plus, with advances in digital filming with high resolution, and digital sound recording, things like phasers and the transporter are going to have an updated look.

With something like the communicator, is the chirp really (I suppose the most appropriate word would be) "powerful" enough to work in a theatre environment? If they keep it, it might have to be exaggerated or slowed down. The same with the door swich/squeak; it might have to be slowed down. If I remember correctly, the doors seemed to be slowed down for all the movies.

So before we all fret about some of these things, just remember, you have to take into account the enviroment that this will be seen and heard.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Before everybody gets all uptight about the sound effects and phasers and all that, you have to remember that this is a BIG SCREEN Star Trek in a THEATRE environment. What works on the small screen in your living room isn't necessarily going to work the same in a movie environment. Plus, with advances in digital filming with high resolution, and digital sound recording, things like phasers and the transporter are going to have an updated look.

With something like the communicator, is the chirp really (I suppose the most appropriate word would be) "powerful" enough to work in a theatre environment? If they keep it, it might have to be exaggerated or slowed down. The same with the door swich/squeak; it might have to be slowed down. If I remember correctly, the doors seemed to be slowed down for all the movies.

So before we all fret about some of these things, just remember, you have to take into account the enviroment that this will be seen and heard.
now that i think about it that dose happen in the movies they either slow down the sounds or change them a bit.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Ensign

Yeah, thats more or less the point of this thread...being anxious to see and hear how they change these visual and audio effects around and update them.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_of_gothos View Post
I've always wanted to see what spock sees when he peers into that hooded viewer at his science station.
You mean it's not just a slowly flashing blue light bulb? Dang.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Midshipman

There will need to be a fine balance between making the tech look modern but not fall into the trap that Enterprise sometimes fell into and make the tech look more advanced than later Star Trek time frames. However, more than ever, this movie needs to cater to a new audience who've had no previous experience of (or only negative associations with) the Trek universe; therefore, I think it shouldn't be afraid to modernise and bring it up to date with other franchises. It can't afford to look dated and it can't afford to niche itself.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Ensign

I just hope that they keep the look and feel from the original series somewhat... I don't know if I can accept an Enterprise which looks more advanced than the Enterprise-E
Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Ensign

well there will be no touch screens when you look at ethe bridge pcitures and what Orci said somewhere.

good old fashioned push buttons.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Lieutenant

I'm sure whatever new looks/sounds they pull off it will all be in the respective boundary.