The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To The older fans of Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Vice Admiral

I would sure hate to see someone other than Patrick Stewart play Picard, but if TNG remained dormant for 20 years and the only way to have new TNG was for a recast, well I would be all for it. I just would not want the characters to change because the actors "bring" something different, that defeats the purpose of remaking what was already successful, in my opinion
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
You're not going to see the movie at a local theater? How sad. There are so few movies I want to see that I can barely wait.
I didn't say I wasn't going to see it in the theater. Like all the other Star Trek movies, I will see it in the theater (several times, if it's good,) and buy the DVD.

You don't have to worry about me, when it comes to supporting the franchise.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Vice Admiral

That's what we should all do, support the franchise. AFTER watching the movie we can debate the merits of the plot or whether or not the writing was good. But if we hope to have more Trek on either the little screen or big screen, we MUSt support it. I am sure there are others that will feel that is rewarding poor or mediocre trek, but I reserve that judgement till AFTER I have watched the movie.

Watch the movie in the theater. If you do not like the movie then do NOT buy the DVD, Blueray, or any of the merchandise. That is how I think the "doubters" or "haters" should approach this movie. The Hitler clip on Youtube comes to mind!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Captain

I'll give my POV this way: I absolutely love Star Trek: Phase II (New Voyages) even though the characters are being portrayed by other actors, and in some cases, several different actors. I watch it for the stories about the characters and because the same general interactions and interpersonal relationships as in the original series are adhered to in the writing. I admire what the cast and production staff is doing because it is keeping alive the memory of what was, and is attempting to recapture the spirit of the old for old and new viewers alike.

At the same time however, the other reason I love it is because it takes the POV as a continuation of what I first fell in love with and everything tries to remain true to the original. But that's another story.

To answer your question Lt. Fordman, I am less concerned about the actors than I am about the rest. I do understand how you feel and I have similar feelings, but I realize that certain things must change in order for the franchise to continue. My opinion on which things must change is another issue, but there is no way getting around new actors. Regardless, I have no intention of missing this movie on the big screen.

BTW, 41 here, and it took me two seasons to fully accept TNG (though somehow I still watched them religiously)... Q.E.D.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Ensign

I can't see how they can do it any other way. I mean, Bones and Scotty are gone. If they went with the rest of the original cast they would have to recast just those roles and you can imagine the outcry.
Alternatively they could not do TOS but the whole point of this film is to take Star Trek back to what it originally was and have it mean that to a new generation. Making it young again as it was for the original fans (or those of us who caught the re-runs). Of course, this could only be done with the original crew. I think it's a very good idea and hearing Abrams talk about it makes me feel it's in good hands.
I can't wait to see it (and I have been a fan of TOS since I was 5).
Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

If you ask me, the change out is long overdue. They should have recast back in '77 for ST:TMP.

We've changed James Bond what, four times now?
Doctor Who is now working on his 12th actor in the role. (Including Cushing, and the guy who played him on the stage)
We've had about 4 Sherlock Holmes... Rathbone, Brett, Cushing and Baker.
How many actors have played Dracula?
Frankenstien?

So what the heck is the big deal?

In case you hadn't noticed, most of the TOS crew is really getting on in years, and we're losing more of them every single year. (Majel just being the latest) We've gotten to the point where a TOS film is about as possible as a Beatles reunion.

Time for it to move on... and prosper.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjammer0 View Post
I'm almost 49, and I have no problem what-so-ever seeing the characters re-cast. It is a movie, and I am there to be entertained, and I can forget about the people who came before and just enjoy (or not) the movie. How about all the die-hard James Bond fans. They don;t seem to have a problem with James getting a new face every few films. I felt the same about the new Battlestar Galactica. As a matter of fact, it is so much better than the original, that when I see an original episode, it makes me cringe. Let's hope the new movie does the same, and I hope these people in the movie will continue in those roles for many films to come (and new series, PLEASE!)
There is all kinds of examples of this. How many different incarnations of Superman have there been? Kyrk Allen, George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, and Brandon Routhe? Superman is still a beloved character that has been around since the 1930's. Yes I know some griped when Routhe replaced the late Chris Reeve...yet they came to accept him none the less. I suspect the case will be the some here too with the new cast of Star Trek. Fans old and new of each genre still come together at one point or another...bring the change.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant

This is a big deal, lets make no mistake about that. whether your a fan of TOS or not, no one can deny that these were the guys who started it all. These characters are huge icons.

I can what some are saying with Bond, superman and so on, but the thing is, is that kirk, spock and scotty etc have been been solely played by shatner, nimoy and doohan for 40 years - unchallenged in those particualr roles. Thats why this is a big deal. To older fans of TOS it matters a lot that new guys (and im up for this remember) are taking over. It may not matter so much to those fans who came along later.

Fanwriter - I actually thought that when the motion picture came out in 79, that we were seeing the beginnings of a new younger crew being gradually blooded in with the addition od Decker and Illia. I wonder if that might have been a good way forward.

Im up for change and am excited but the fact that guys like me are worried shows we care and thats what this franchise needs - for people to still care about their heroes.

starbase Britain
Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
This is a big deal, lets make no mistake about that. whether your a fan of TOS or not, no one can deny that these were the guys who started it all. These characters are huge icons.

I can what some are saying with Bond, superman and so on, but the thing is, is that kirk, spock and scotty etc have been been solely played by shatner, nimoy and doohan for 40 years - unchallenged in those particualr roles. Thats why this is a big deal. To older fans of TOS it matters a lot that new guys (and im up for this remember) are taking over. It may not matter so much to those fans who came along later.

Fanwriter - I actually thought that when the motion picture came out in 79, that we were seeing the beginnings of a new younger crew being gradually blooded in with the addition od Decker and Illia. I wonder if that might have been a good way forward.

Im up for change and am excited but the fact that guys like me are worried shows we care and thats what this franchise needs - for people to still care about their heroes.

starbase Britain
I can say with all certainty that every Trek fan cares about their Heroes. I know I do. Every good myth has a hero that we care about...problem is that myths that were created in one era and is relevent...may not have relevence in future eras because the concept is too dated. Superman has come a long way since the 1930's and is a classic example of an Icon with lasting power to captivate the imagination of younger, newer fans.
Same can be said of Trek if we let it go in new directions.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
We've had about 4 Sherlock Holmes... Rathbone, Brett, Cushing and Baker.
5 don't forget Brent Spiner!

I don't like it when movies or TV series recast roles. I do not like Robin Curtis as Saavik.

But there is no way to use the original actors especially since they would be portraying even younger versions than in TOS. I think I will come to accept the new actors...in time.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)