The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To The older fans of Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I don't really mind that the actors are different. What I mind is that practically everything else is different save for the most absolutely basic of things, and the rationale of many who would seemingly call anything at all Star Trek so long as some part of the story takes place on a starship.
Look, we know your views on the subject. There's no need to twist the views of those who don't agree with you. What I hope for is more than a "story that takes place on a starship." Many here who are more optimistic about the new Trek have said as such.

You can keep your opinions, just don't twist mine. Got it?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
So, you have a choice. Embrace what Abrams, Quinto, Pine and everyone involved in the new movie are doing with an open heart, a generous spirit, and a willingness to give honest, constructive criticism OR bury Star Trek with the dead.
Quote:
So throw out the baby or keep the bathwater? Nope, not buying that it absolutely must be either/or.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
I have to agree with Saint here; I have no intentions of burying my DVD collection just because of the new movie. I will probably buy the new movie on DVD, too; just keep it on a new shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, this is the thing, you haven't been asked to. It's a moot posture.
Like Saint, I was responding to cjopbj's suggestion that we must either embrace the new or bury the old. Like so many others here, I don't see why we should consider this a "choose sides" issue.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Look, we know your views on the subject. There's no need to twist the views of those who don't agree with you. What I hope for is more than a "story that takes place on a starship." Many here who are more optimistic about the new Trek have said as such.

You can keep your opinions, just don't twist mine. Got it?
So are we done hearing about people who want canon adhered to being fixated on "every single line" and "the color of every last button", then? Tit for tat, y'know.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
So are we done hearing about people who want canon adhered to being fixated on "every single line" and "the color of every last button", then? Tit for tat, y'know.
I wish we were done, but it will be re-hashed over and over, even AFTER the new movie is in theaters.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant

Lt Fordman

this is one of the best threads on here. This is one of the biggest issues effecting long term trek fans. Im 43 and this is a very big issue for me. Since i first began loving TOS way back in the early 1970's, all i have known is shatner as kirk, nimoy as spock and so on. Its going to be hard to accept and its understandble. These guys are LOVED and so are the characters they have so successfuly portrayed. I was never into any other star trek series.

This was the one series that i always said should never be 'remade' or 'revisted'.
However, having seen and read all so far i have to say im open about this and im now ready to see this relaunch and our beloved TOS characters reborn. I never thought id ever say that. Ive a feeling that this is going to be a trek film like we havent seen before - no matter what star trek series your into. JJ seems to have done his homework and if Nimoy endorses it (a man of integrity) then that is enough for me.

Yes im afraid and i know what you mean about not going to see it - but at the same time im excited that it could be potentially fantastic. I need to take a chance on this. I want to love this movie- i really do and i want to love these characters all over again. yes the shat will always be captian james T kirk but we to accept chris pine is the new capt kirk whether we like it or not.

it remains to be seen if JJ has pulled it off but im really hopeful and i wish them all well.

starbase Britain
Old 01-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant

As a man of 49 years of age, I guess you could tell that I was raised on Star Trek the original series. I grew to love the characters and the actors who played those parts. This is my question to the Older fans of ST-TOS. Are you really ready to see the characters that we grew up on and loved for all those many years, being played by someone else?

Sure! Just like someone else said, these are just that: "characters". These are not real people. Rather than being sad about seeing Star Trek change, you should be happy to know that Trek has been given more than a big chance to entertain and inspire another generation.

I have really anticipated this movie for a very long time now. But as the Movie comes closer to being released, I now have an odd feeling that I just might Not want to see it. Is it normal to feel this way? In my minds eye, I just can't see anyone else play these legends.

Look on the bright side. This movie has been given the blessing of the actor who portrayed Trek's most significant and iconic character (Leonard Nimoy, who portrayed Mr. Spock). I think that speaks a loud volume toward encouragement that this is a worthy project, and a movie worth seeing.

And yet, I am so very much a fan of Star Trek,

If you are a fan of Star Trek, then help it survive. Go see the movie, buy the movie ticket, help to keep it around for a while longer. Nobody wins if the franchise dies and "Star Trek" rides off into the sunset of classic and eventually-to-be forgotten tv.

that I don't want to miss it either. Does any one else have this feeling? Your thoughts are welcomed.[/quote]
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Lt Fordman

this is one of the best threads on here. This is one of the biggest issues effecting long term trek fans. Im 43 and this is a very big issue for me. Since i first began loving TOS way back in the early 1970's, all i have known is shatner as kirk, nimoy as spock and so on. Its going to be hard to accept and its understandble. These guys are LOVED and so are the characters they have so successfuly portrayed. I was never into any other star trek series.

This was the one series that i always said should never be 'remade' or 'revisted'.
However, having seen and read all so far i have to say im open about this and im now ready to see this relaunch and our beloved TOS characters reborn. I never thought id ever say that. Ive a feeling that this is going to be a trek film like we havent seen before - no matter what star trek series your into. JJ seems to have done his homework and if Nimoy endorses it (a man of integrity) then that is enough for me.

Yes im afraid and i know what you mean about not going to see it - but at the same time im excited that it could be potentially fantastic. I need to take a chance on this. I want to love this movie- i really do and i want to love these characters all over again. yes the shat will always be captian james T kirk but we to accept chris pine is the new capt kirk whether we like it or not.

it remains to be seen if JJ has pulled it off but im really hopeful and i wish them all well.

starbase Britain

Finally, someone who understands what I am feeling. It's just really hard for me to see anyone else play these beloved characters. When I think of James T. Kirk or Mr. Spock and Dr. Leonard McCoy I will always see William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, And DeForest Kelly.

And Like you, I want to embrace this change. I certainly hope that all this nervousness that I am feeling is just a temporary thing.

I sincerley hope that this Movie will erase all my fears. I hope it's the greatest Star Trek film of all time.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
I have to agree with Saint here; I have no intentions of burying my DVD collection just because of the new movie. I will probably buy the new movie on DVD, too; just keep it on a new shelf.
You're not going to see the movie at a local theater? How sad. There are so few movies I want to see that I can barely wait.

Back on topic: For older fans, not embracing the new means they can watch the old episodes until their tapes, DVDs, and books are tossed on the funeral fire right next to them. But the truth is that unless Star Trek attacks young people, it will fade. (That's why I'm going to take a car load of teens for a fun night of pizza and Star Trek at the movies.)

Consider the works of theater that have survived the longest: Greek plays, Shakespeare, etc. One reason for their eternal success is that they can be constantly reintrepreted by the young. If the only works of Shakespeare we had were videos from the 1600's with boys speaking all the female lines, no updates in sets, costumes, or attitudes we'd be bored with it. But it's flexible. It breathes. If Star Trek wants to outlive the people responding to this thread, it must breathe too.

I don't know if this movie will help or hurt. We'll see. My main hope is that the philosophy isn't lost in the action. That might kill Star Trek as much as no movie at all. Hard to say. Not all the episodes were works of art and it still survived.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant

Lt Fordman

your fears are perfectly understandable and i can see where you are coming from. Its a great thread in my opinion as it highlights a very important point and a real big obstacle for some. Theres no getting away from that and i respect those who might find it very hard. Its only natural that some will feel this way and they shouldnt be marginalised for that. Its up to them if they accept others in the roles - but i would say give them a chance.

If i come out of the theatre in may horriified, then im going to go straight home and put on an old episode and pretend it never happened (a bit like star trek 7 : generations). if i come out and i love it, then im all set for brand new adventures with the characters i treasure. thats an exciting prospect and one im not going to miss out on.

Im enjoying all the respect these new guys are showing to TOS and im liking some of abrams touches. the new set designs ect dont bother me at all and im up for everything ive seen so far. Its this issue of new people playing these iconic parts thats the biggie- well for me anyway.

roll on may and we'll know just how much we love this new take on the greatest tv series ever!

cheers
starbase Britain
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Look at it this way. William Shatner's portrayel was an adaptation. The character is not James William Tiberius Shatner Kirk. It's an adaptation the same way Pine's portrayel will be an adaptation. Not the same adaptation mind you, it will be Pine's adaptation not Shatner's.

Plain and simple.

This is one reason why I don't get people's arguments against remakes. A screenplay is a piece of written literature just like a novel. Yes, it was written for the screen, but not always, in fact many times not, intended for the director who happened to be the first to film it. That's why when you see a movie it doesn't say "based on the movie" in the opening titles, it says "based on the screenplay."

That was a bit off track. But I say that to say this: in the opening credits it will not say "based on William Shatner's James Kirk" it will most likely say something like "based on the story and characters created by Gene Roddenberry".

It really is that simple.