The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To The older fans of Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I just mentioned the difference because it's easy to forget that this board allows 13 year olds to post and many of the most prolific posters are, in fact, under 18. It's easy to forget because they generally make such intelligent and interesting posts that their age isn't an issue.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Captain

I don't really mind that the actors are different. What I mind is that practically everything else is different save for the most absolutely basic of things, and the rationale of many who would seemingly call anything at all Star Trek so long as some part of the story takes place on a starship.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Commander

*It's easy to forget because they generally make such intelligent and interesting posts that their age isn't an issue.*
Agreed!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Here are my thoughts ...

First, remember that Star Trek is entertainment. Not spritural guidance from above.

Second, Star Trek got many "facts" about the future right (computers, advanced communication devices, equal rights) but got just as much wrong. We should have endured World War 3 by now. A horrible war, worse than World War 2, caused by selective breeding. No one in the 1960's could have prediced that the world of 2009 would be torn by the same religious hatreds that were endured in the dark ages. Hindu against Muslim against Jew against Christian. They would have thought that impossible.

Third, as Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again". Gene Roddenberry, his beloved Majel, DeForest and James are dead. Nothing can bring them back.

So, you have a choice. Embrace what Abrams, Quinto, Pine and everyone involved in the new movie are doing with an open heart, a generous spirit, and a willingness to give honest, constructive criticism OR bury Star Trek with the dead.

I say allow the torch to be passed and hope Abrams listens to our suggestions and makes the second Star Trek movie even better.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Captain

So throw out the baby or keep the bathwater? Nope, not buying that it absolutely must be either/or.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Lieutenant

I have to agree with Saint here; I have no intentions of burying my DVD collection just because of the new movie. I will probably buy the new movie on DVD, too; just keep it on a new shelf.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
So throw out the baby or keep the bathwater? Nope, not buying that it absolutely must be either/or.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
I have to agree with Saint here; I have no intentions of burying my DVD collection just because of the new movie. I will probably buy the new movie on DVD, too; just keep it on a new shelf.
That's what some of us have been saying all along.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'd have to go along: the 'absolutists' so far have been much more in the camp of "this new movie isn't real TREK" and seeing changes they don't like have railed long against this movie without ever seeing it... some vowing they never will. That is an either/or stance.

To the point of the thread: I just turned 46 so I'd be in the first gen of fans as well, I guess. I have no problem seeing new actors playing these characters, for many of the wise reasons already stated.

Even if I read the same book I loved as a youth, it will be a 'different' book to me 30 years later because I am not the same person reading it. The same holds true for TREK -- TOS doesn't mean the same thing to me at 46 as it did when I was 6. TREK changes because we change around it.

What new meaning will this film add to TREK? I'm interested to find out, and knowing the physical realities of life, it takes new people to tell a new story.

I'd rather TREK continue to grow and evolve than shrink and fossilize as a fond artifact only belonging to the past. Nothing this new movie does can change my enjoyment of TREK from my childhood.

Similarly, nothing can bring my childhood back. I enjoyed TREK then and remember it fondly, but the 46 year-old me is willing to try a new story and see if I'll enjoy that in addition to what I grew up watching. There's room in my world for it all.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Ensign

I'm 42, so I guess I'm one of those "old-heads" who first started watching TOS during the initial syndicated reruns. I grew up on TOS and it's always been my favorite series, although I've really enjoyed every version of Trek since then (well, not so much Enterprise, but hey...)

It's weird - I'm not at all upset about new actors taking over the roles. I said my fond farewells to the original cast at the end of The Undiscovered Country. I've loved each of them for the past 30-plus years, but there's no denying that they had reached the point where it was time to move on and just appreciate what we had for all those years.

In fact, I'm actually very excited about seeing how the new actors interpret such well-known - and yes, iconic - roles. In particular, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Zachary Quinto steps into Spock's shoes. I've enjoyed his performances on Heroes and he seems to have really jumped into the role of Spock with great enthusiasm. And from what little I've already seen, it appears that Karl Urban might be a really great McCoy. I'm actually excited about the new actors and look forward to their interpretations.

On the other hand, I'm way, way, way more upset about the changes in ship design, set design, costumes, etc. I won't even get into the canon arguments, but the radical and unnecessary changes in the known Star Trek universe bother me a whole lot more than new actors.

It was necessary to change the actors, if there was ever any hope of continuing to tell stories about the original crew, and I'm ok with that. In fact, that's actually exciting!

But seeing those very familiar characters in such radically different surroundings is much more of an issue to me...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
Well, this is the thing, you haven't been asked to. It's a moot posture.