The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To The older fans of Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

I'm 53. Star Trek looks as good to me today as it did when I was nine. Either you love it or you don't regardless of what age you are!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

But, how do you feel about seeing new actors taking on the original characters?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant

OK, I'll play along . . .

I am only 45, so I guess I'm the youngster in this alleged "Old Timers' Club." No AARP card yet. I have been a fan since the very early 1970s and I do think the original is something special. I'd like to point out one difference between Bond & Trek: Bond originated as literary fiction, Trek was born as a TV show. For Bond, even the Sean Connery portrayal was only "based on" the original, who was a character in a novel. James T. Kirk was never anything other than a TV character played by William Shatner. Therefore, the Trek actors are more closely connected to these parts than the actors who have played Bond.

Still, I don't have any problem with new, younger actors playing these parts. As has been mentioned here, they are playing younger versions of the characters. Also, as it turns out, they are probably "alternate timeline" versions. And besides, even Gene Roddenberry predicted and embraced the probability that this would happen. As long as JJ and company tell a good story that is true to the spirit of Star Trek, I'm totally OK with it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Fordman View Post
As a man of 49 years of age, I guess you could tell that I was raised on Star Trek the original series. I grew to love the characters and the actors who played those parts. This is my question to the Older fans of ST-TOS. Are you really ready to see the characters that we grew up on and loved for all those many years, being played by someone else? I have really anticipated this movie for a very long time now. But as the Movie comes closer to being released, I now have an odd feeling that I just might Not want to see it. Is it normal to feel this way? In my minds eye, I just can't see anyone else play these legends. And yet, I am so very much a fan of Star Trek, that I don't want to miss it either. Does any one else have this feeling? Your thoughts are welcomed.
Yes, I'm ready. The trailers look great and I'm really interested in how they handle the characters. I'm pleased with the choice of cast and I'm all for updating the effects.

I don't but can understand why others would.

I'm a fan of EVERYTHING Star Trek so I'm with you on not wanting to miss it.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
I don't get this "older fans" business.

. . . I don't really like this elitist group that's formed on this thread of the "Old Fans" vs. the "Youngsters". Apparently that's the argument lately, that this movie will be okay if you're one of the Yungins, but Ye Good Ol' Boys know what's what..
I have to say, I don't think there is any real conflict or rivalry here between older fans & younger ones - just a healthy sharing of different perspectives. Those of us who remember when there was only one Star Trek have a unique point of view on the franchise and honestly, I don't see it as being a better one, just different. Frankly, I kinda' wish I had grown up in a time when there was a new series every 7 years and a new movie every few years. When I was a kid, we had no real hope of ever seeing new Star Trek again. Other than the animated series that fascinated me when I was 10, I didn't get any new Trek until I was 16 and TMP came out. And I would point out that there are plenty of us "Old Timers" (on this thread, even,) who have no problem with the idea of this new movie.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
I don't get this "older fans" business.
Who you callin' old !?!

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Commander

*That being said, I don't really like this elitist group that's formed on this thread of the "Old Fans" vs. the "Youngsters". Apparently that's the argument lately, that this movie will be okay if you're one of the Yungins, but Ye Good Ol' Boys know what's what.*
Actually, I think this is reversed.
Strangely enough, if there is any "group mind" forming it is generally the "younger" crowd who is the most adamant against change. Go figure.

I'm not sure why that is either, but I'm guessing a sociologist would be interested in the inversion.

Then there is the middle ground of some change is ok, but why did they have to change [insert personal pet peeve]!

Should I be tasked to guess, I would lean towards non-acceptance of change due to personal issues. The "older" folks seem to understand that things change (we've seen it many times and the world still keeps on a'truckin' amazingly enough). They/we are generally unconcerned about social stigmas association with Trek may have. We just don't care what other people think about wtf we watch - which is not to say that zealotry has no effect or embarassment. The "younger" crowd lacks this luxury and, it appears, uses Trek as a safe haven from societal pressures (the genesis of long standing basement references); seemingly (and strangely or not) by over-inflating and in some cases deifying the value of Trek as justification (self and otherwise) for their actions. Change cracks their world in an earth-shattering manner and by some logic the new movie invalidates their sanctuary by reminding them without consent or concern that the center of the universe exists elsewhere.

But, that's just my take on things.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Default It's only my opinion but...

As far as the new actors go. That's fine.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Thanks, omegaman.

The age thing is only important because a) older people have a reputation for being less flexible than younger people and b) people who watched the original show when it was aired, and saw all the subsequent movies and things as "following" the series have a different perspective than people for whom even Next Gen is "history".

JSnyder4 wrote:
Quote:
Strangely enough, if there is any "group mind" forming it is generally the "younger" crowd who is the most adamant against change. Go figure.
With a bit of refinement, I agree....to me, it seems like the really young people here (the ones who tell their parents I'm a "nice Mom on the internet") are very excited about the new movie and ready to embrace the new actors. It seems like there biggest group of "no, no, this is not acceptable!" people fall into the 24 to 34 age range....(acknowledging that there are nay sayers in all age groups and there are people in the 24 to 34 age range that are all for the new movie).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Commander

*It seems like there biggest group of "no, no, this is not acceptable!" people fall into the 24 to 34 age range....(acknowledging that there are nay sayers in all age groups and there are people in the 24 to 34 age range that are all for the new movie).*
I think we are speaking the same language and I agree with the age bracket assessment. For some reason it does seem to center on those who grew up with TNG (the age bracket you cite). There are always exceptions of course in any bell curve as you also point out. I shied away from naming a specific age group and just left it at "younger".

I have my own theory on the centering, but it is irrelevant here without delving into the full history of Trek itself.