The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Movie Getting SuperBowl Ad
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

You can smell then out.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You can smell then out.
Have you ever been inside a football team locker room? You can smell anything correctly for hours afterward.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
There is still a full length trailer to go...
I've no doubt it will be a new trailer.
Perhaps ... again, it doesn't matter.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

The armchair jocks will probably sit back and laugh.

"BWAAA HAA HAA.....a new geek-fest! Why are they showing it during my Superbowl!? During my few hours of full, unmitigated, testosterone-laden manliness when I can do manly things like sit back with a beer, order my wife to git me another beer while she's playin' Scrabble with her friends, kick the kids out of the room (unless they're into sports too), see a chick have a strategically placed wardrobe malfunction, and talk a bunch of useless statistics about guys I don't know with my equally Neanderthal buddies."

Strategically speaking though, this is a good move for the new movie. This is where it will probably reach the widest US audience, and would probably be the ONLY reason I would deign to watch a Superbowl.

After the commercial aired, I'd probably go right back to playing a game I actually have some control over (like Star Trek Legacy) instead of watching one that I have NO control over, and then b*tch about it if my team loses.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The armchair jocks will probably sit back and laugh.

"BWAAA HAA HAA.....a new geek-fest! Why are they showing it during my Superbowl!? During my few hours of full, unmitigated, testosterone-laden manliness when I can do manly things like sit back with a beer, order my wife to git me another beer, kick the kids out of the room (unless they're into sports too), see a chick have a strategically placed wardrobe malfunction, and talk a bunch of useless statistics about guys I don't know with my equally Neanderthal buddies."

Strategically speaking though, this is a good move for the new movie. This is where it will probably reach the widest US audience, and would probably be the ONLY reason I would deign to watch a Superbowl.

After the commercial aired, I'd probably go right back to playing a game I actually have some control over (like Star Trek Legacy) instead of watching one that I have NO control over, and then b*tch about it if my team loses.
So how does an Arm-chair Jock differ from a Trek Geek?
1.)They both dress up for events in garb sometimes...
2.)They both collect memorabilia.
3.)They both know every fact, figure, nugget or tidbit of information about their subject fandom.
4.) They both spend considerable amount of time glued to a TV
5.) They both like to play videogames based on their respective fandom.(ST:Legacy...John Madden's Football)

I know there is more....but see no one has the right to point finger and call names in this regard.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
remember the studio has say, not Abrams. If they're going to spend the money on a super bowl they'll likely show you more of the action scenes.
Except Paramount gave full control of the project to Abrams. He will have approved whatever trailer is aired, alongside the studio. He'll know what to give them.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
So how does an Arm-chair Jock differ from a Trek Geek?
1.)They both dress up for events in garb sometimes...
2.)They both collect memorabilia.
3.)They both know every fact, figure, nugget or tidbit of information about their subject fandom.
4.) They both spend considerable amount of time glued to a TV
5.) They both like to play videogames based on their respective fandom.(ST:Legacy...John Madden's Football)

I know there is more....but see no one has the right to point finger and call names in this regard.
Indeed. I don't see where "armchair jock" is name-calling though, so your indignation is unfounded.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Vice Admiral

I cant wait! This is JUST what they should do to attract the rest of society, because kids like me LOVE the super Bowl, so this will be amazing!!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Except Paramount gave full control of the project to Abrams. He will have approved whatever trailer is aired, alongside the studio. He'll know what to give them.

They can always override. It's not part of the contract. They approve everything. Marketing is usually left for marketing.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
They can always override. It's not part of the contract. They approve everything. Marketing is usually left for marketing.
Possibly, but since he's always actively involved in every aspect of his projects, would seem odd he would be happy with that when he has the power of final cut over the film itself.