The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nimoy Interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Nimoy Interview

http://trekmovie.com/2009/01/08/star...omment-1407712

"I saw Zachary Quinto [who plays younger Spock] do things with the character that had never occurred to me, which I found quite delicious. I think he really has found a way to expand the character while at the same time, if you can understand what I’m trying to say, being true to the character. He has found ways to enrich the character. He’s wonderful and I’m really proud of what he has done."
"Star Trek has not been part of the zeitgeist for some time now. My hope is that this group of actors portraying these characters will give audiences a very delicious insight into what Star Trek can be at its best, and they will want to see more of these people doing what they do - solving problems together as a team. That’s my hope - and my expectation, by the way."
"My wife, who is not a major science fiction fan, sat with me and watched the present cut of the movie about two weeks ago. We saw it in its present condition, which is still unfinished. It’s still a work in progress, there’s still some special effects to come, and so forth. But about 20 minutes before the movie finished, she turned to me and said, “I don’t want this movie to end.” That’s how much she was enjoying it."

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Last edited by NCC-73515 : 01-08-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Rear Admiral

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Not much new, besides the team spirit element of Trek. Such more character related elements are more relevant IMO than superficial design stuff and whether JJA will introduce a Star Wars like space feeling or not.
It is still nice to hear such a ringing endorsment from someone that is so closely connected with the Original Star Trek.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
"I saw Zachary Quinto [who plays younger Spock] do things with the character that had never occurred to me, which I found quite delicious. I think he really has found a way to expand the character while at the same time, if you can understand what I’m trying to say, being true to the character. He has found ways to enrich the character. He’s wonderful and I’m really proud of what he has done."
I quite appreciate this, given some of the flak Quinto has caught on this and other Star Trek boards for his portrayal of Spock.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I quite appreciate this, given some of the flak Quinto has caught on this and other Star Trek boards for his portrayal of Spock.
I know. That was a wonderully gracious and heart felt thing for Mr. Nimoy to say about Mr. Quinto
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

I know it's against the odds, but perhaps Nimoy's continues comments and praise for the actors will hep allay SOME of the fears from fans who watched the trailer and took away nothing else from it but phaser battles and Uhura's bra.

As before, characters will be the focus of the story -- if people choose to see it that way. Perhaps hard to observe it past some preoccupations with stick shifts and underwear, but it will be there.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well said, Mission. Like in most movies, good actors and well-written dialogues is much more important than any superficial stuff. Kirk, Spock and Bones could fly around in a flying saucer, I would not mind as long as terrific actors play them.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's what made TNG stick out IMO

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant

We've heard this (to a lesser extent, perhaps) from Nimoy before, but I continue to be encouraged by that fact that Quinto was able to impress Nimoy. The fact that he could "do things with the character that had never occurred to [Nimoy,]" to find "a way to expand the character while at the same time . . . being true to the character" and "to enrich the character," is inspiring. For me, hearing Nimoy say "I’m really proud of what he has done," gives me nothing but hope for this new movie.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH-313 View Post
We've heard this (to a lesser extent, perhaps) from Nimoy before, but I continue to be encouraged by that fact that Quinto was able to impress Nimoy. The fact that he could "do things with the character that had never occurred to [Nimoy,]" to find "a way to expand the character while at the same time . . . being true to the character" and "to enrich the character," is inspiring. For me, hearing Nimoy say "I’m really proud of what he has done," gives me nothing but hope for this new movie.
Right On! Now how can you argue with logic like that?