The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to get Shatner into the movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Midshipman

Default Shatner being a ***

I could not see anyone else play the character of Kirk other than Shatner until 1994. But this movie is about a younger Kirk and crew and Generations was 14 years ago. As much as I like Shatner I think it is time that he quit complaining about not being in this movie. No cameo is needed he passed his torch 14 years ago. I'am also upset that he did not meet with Cris Pine and possibly assist him in the development of this iconic character. It appears that all of the other former cast did. It is sad that Chris Pine did not meet Shatner and fashioned his version of Kirk after Indiana Jones.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Midshipman

Default Shatner being an ***

Up until 1994 I could not imagine anyone playing Kirk other than Shatner. But he passed his torch in Generations. Now it is 2008 and this movie is about a younger Kirk and crew. He should just quit complaining. He should have met with Chris Pine and helped him develop his version of this iconic character instead Chris fashioned his version after Harrison Ford. If Shatner truely cared anything about Star Trek he would have helped him. He just uses Star Trek to keep his face in the media and to make money
Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Can't argue with that.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM trekfan68!!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Federation Councillor

"Damit Jim, your're still dead, back into the box!!"
Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Midshipman

Default Shatner is GOD

William Shatner is fantastic and a really nice guy.
I really hope he does make a cameo in the film in some symbolic way it will totally be like he is giving his blessing if they wanted to make more films.

And to those of you who think he'd ruin it I bet you didn't like the new Indiana Jones film either....
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. McDuff View Post
William Shatner is fantastic and a really nice guy.
I really hope he does make a cameo in the film in some symbolic way it will totally be like he is giving his blessing if they wanted to make more films.

And to those of you who think he'd ruin it I bet you didn't like the new Indiana Jones film either....

WELCOME L. McDuff!!!!

Look not to upset you, Shatner, JJ, everyobdy involved with this film have said Shatner will not be in it. Shatner did not want to do a cameo. JJ couldn't find a belivable way of brining him back, so no Shatner.

Maybe you had the good fortune to meet the Shat on one of his "good days", or at a horse event (Where is a totally diffrrent person.)

I have met Shat more than once (in the 80's), he despised Trek fans, and makes no bones about it in private. He has even told me to my face, that it "ruined his career." Not that he had much to loose mind you, just look at his film work...lol...

Last edited by Zardoz : 05-30-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Look not to upset you, Shatner, JJ, everyobdy involved with this film have said Shatner will not be in it. Shatner did not want to do a cameo. JJ couldn't find a belivable way of brining him back, so no Shatner.

Maybe you had the good fortune to meet the Shat on one of his "good days", or at a horse event (Where is a totally diffrrent person.)

I have met Shat more than once (in the 80's), he despised Trek fans, and makes no bones about it in private. He has even told me to my face, that it "ruined his career." Not that he had much to loose mind you, just look at his film work...lol...
I guess luckily I don't see Kirk as being shatner. shatner is just a guy who looks like him. But is it really shat we want or just the idea that KIRK goes on like other great fictional heroes?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
I guess luckily I don't see Kirk as being shatner. shatner is just a guy who looks like him. But is it really shat we want or just the idea that KIRK goes on like other great fictional heroes?
I got that veiw too after watching New Voyages/Phase II Webisodes. James Crawley does a fine job keeping the charater of Kirk alive.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

No doubt there will be a percentage of fans who refuse to accept any other Kirk that Shatner's portrayal, and that's fine. There are no rules, you take from TREK what you like and enjoy, it's all good.

For me, the character overrides the actor playing it. Sure, some actors make a performance indelible and lasting, but those are rare. I have no idea how Pine will do as a younger Kirk, but for now I look forward to the opportunity to see a different actor (and script) deepen and broaden what Kirk is, what he means to the overall TREK story.

Example: I thought Brosnan was the best Bond actor in quite a long time, because he got scripts which harkened back a bit more to the old Connery era, which I enjoyed. Yet as "unlikely" as Daniel Craig seemed to be as a successor, he and the film really added depth and character realism to the franchise which I appreciated even more. He looked nothing like previous Bonds, yet reading the original character from the novel, he was more like Fleming's Bond than anyone since Connery.

No fan is required to accept Pine as Kirk, but I hope many will wait and evaluate his performance and the scripted character next year. Who knows, he could knock it out of the park.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Federation Councillor

"Am I still dead?"