The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to get Shatner into the movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Welcome Tetra, but please learn to use the Search function of this board before starting a new topic, in case your subject has been covered before. In this case, covered many times before.

Meanwhile, keep reading other threads and join in on the discussions where they stand. It's a great group of fans gathered here, and now you're added to the list.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Federation Councillor

Sorry to say, this has been completely covered. Please check some of the older threads.

But, definately, keep on writing! Join in!!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Admiral

You know, I'm not sure if I'd like this, but it is interesting I think. A major theme of this new movie could very possibly be Kirk and Spock's friendship. Wouldn't it be an eye opener if the movie opened with Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan cause that is obviously a pivotal moment in both Kirk and Spock's friendship. I suppose it would be either a memory of Spock's or for the benefit of the audience to place perspective, but it would be a way of placing Shatner in the film, without actually shooting anymore new material with him and a way that might serve the story and not seem as others have said with that wonderful word, 'fanwanky'. It wouldn't work if the story of the movie doesn't at all resemble this sort of idea but it is interesting I think. What'd you all think?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Federation Councillor

OK, still not sure how this helps the film....
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
OK, still not sure how this helps the film....
Come on, it's a pivotal moment in their relationship. I'm not saying it would work, just throwing it out there, thought it would be interesting. If the film is about their friendship would it be at all difficult to conceive this event may play some vital role from Spock, Nimoy/Spock's perspective? Truth is none of us really know what this film is going to be like, how it is going to play, at its heart what it is going to be about so what film are you referring to, Zardoz? How could you know it wouldn't help the film, being that we don't know what the film is going to be like, or fully about?

Last edited by Livingston : 03-14-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Why is having Shatner in this film, in any capacity a benefit?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Admiral

You already asked that a few times in this thread. Honestly, I don't think it'll work at all to have Shatner in the film and I don't think he should be in it and I don't want to see him in it. But I'm just shooting the breeze here, I already said twice it probably wouldn't work but just for the sake of argument, what way could it possibly work? Just a little harmless fun, but the more and more I post here in this forum, the less fun it's beginning to be. I'm just throwing it out there, Zardoz. Just throwing it out there, seeing if anyone finds it interesting get a little discussion goin', you know.

Last edited by Livingston : 03-15-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant

To me, Shatner IS Kirk. Kirk is Shatner. I have no emotional attachment/feeling for Chris Pine. Chris Pine didn't display grief/sorrow as he slumped down seperated by a barrier from his dying/irradiated best friend. Chris Pine didn't break 9 million regs to get said friend back.

There's just nothing there for me. The best, IMO, Pine could do is bring Kirk back to life, but he will never BE Kirk.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Yeah, it definitely makes sense to me. I heard these actors signed a three picture deal. I said this in another thread I think, but I sincerely hope they do not intend this new cast to be in movies that happen alongside TOS cause that would in effect be an attempt to replace the original cast. My view is that Pine should also be just a means to bring Kirk back to life, as you said.

This film will hopefully put Trek back in a place where it will be able to go forward in one form or another and I hope it goes forward and doesn't just start a series of TOS era movies with a new cast.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant

Well - if they did a post TMP pre TWOK 5 year mission thing with this crew, that'd be cool.