The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to get Shatner into the movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Commander

The movie is not about old Kirk. And, we don't even really "know" that this is a time-travel story. The scene between old Spock and young Spock could just be a dream.

Logistically - 1. I got the impression Shatner wanted to have more than a cameo if he was going to do this.

2. I think he wanted more money

3. If William Shatner only had a cameo, all of you would probably feel MORE ripped off than if he wasn't in the movie at all.

4. This is not a movie about bringing Kirk back to life. Sometimes, a fictional character's time comes...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Ensign

Post Reflection

Once you have Spock in the movie, may be as a reference or connection to the original series, you might not need Kirk. Spock has represented and always will represent a reflexive and in some way “alien” point of view about human nature. You can’t find that in Kirk.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Commander

Shatner in the movie *sigh*. That old chestnut again. Well, obsess away, it will make no difference either way.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Ensign

So many repeat threads, and not very good ones, from ST.com

Kirk is dead and Abrams doesn't want or need Shatner.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant

I am also going to add that while it is total speculation on my part, I don't think this movie is going to have alot of Kirk in it. I think Pike will be in it more then Kirk.

That being said, Bill Shatner can be in my movie any day of the week, but he decided to do Generations.

Sucks.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
The question raises an issue some fans are already up in arms about re: time travel and going back to the 'Academy' days of the original crew -- with Kirk's death firmly 'canonized' in the films, it would stretch plausibility a great deal to now include Shatner as Kirk, having aged well beyond the 'year' of his on-screen death. Shatner can't show up looking older before Kirk's death than he looked when the character passed several films ago.

No knock against Shatner, we all age -- but his character's quite definite death makes casting him in the same role a logistical nightmare that the story couldn't compensate for. Put it this way: had Kirk simply faded out of the film series instead of dying, he'd very likely be in this new film for at least a cameo. Shatner's not the problem, Kirk is dead in Nimoy-Spock's timeline for this film and they really can't get around that -- certainly not with fans screaming for canon accuracy with every third comment on the net.
Set the move 17-18 years post-2371, for the future part. Problem solved on the Kirk's age front.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by InabaKoshi View Post
Kirk is dead and Abrams doesn't want or need Shatner.
I'm not sure that's fair to say he "doesn't want" him. Abrams has said that he would have put Shatner in the movie, had it not been for that small faux pas of his character being killed off a few movies ago.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty971 View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why he isn't in the movie.
Because the older Kirk is dead. Not sure why that is so hard to understand???

Quote:
It is pretty well known that this is a time travel story. They could have worked him in in some scenes at some point.
Doesn't matter if it is time travel. Kirk is dead. He's not doing any time traveling after having been rotting on a planet for 14 years or more.

Quote:
Why would J.J. Abrahms meet with Shatner and not use him?
They met well before the script had even been started on. There may have been a time that they were working on Shatner being in the movie. J.J. was probably meeting up with him to talk about the Kirk character and for William's input into the script or what not.

He also met with George Lucas over the summer, are we expecting to see George Lucas in the movie?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant

No, but a couple ISDs and the Falcon...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i would love to shatner back in that captains chair. but hears the question did he have a say in who his replacement was? i think he should have picked him himself. save with nemoy.