The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to get Shatner into the movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Midshipman

Yep thats pritty much what I was thinking.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Midshipman

Post whys and where fores

gentleman & ladies , now dont get me wrong - im a huge star trek fan - as well as a william shatner fan - and the resoning is a sound one from jj abrams ( first ) bill is getting a little to old and creaky - to don the starfleet uniform once again . ( two ) captain kirk died in generations ( much to my dismay - and not enough foward thinking to the powers that be - who made this lousy decision - that someone else might have wanted to use the kirk character again ) in helping picard defeat soran - and dying in the process - a hero . he's not still in the nexus - he's dead - and they would have to spend almost a whole movie - rescuing him or bringing him back from the dead - and thats not the direction to go in anymore due to the actors ages - I for one am happy to see - new movies based - on the original crew - i can never tire of there adventures . Its a very good move by paramount to reboot the franchise with newer , younger actors ( case in point - if you where to go up to someone on the street - and ask them what star trek was - they would probably say - captain kirk or mr spock - its not the older generation - like myself that there trying to attract - its the next generation of fans on those streets - pun intended . ) I feel star trek lost its way from voyager & enterprise - and can use a little tweaking . Im very much looking forward to the new movie - i just dont want them to insult the integrity - of these already established characters . we shall wait and see . live long and prosper to you all .
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Ensign

Honestly, I don't understand why he isn't in the movie. It is pretty well known that this is a time travel story. They could have worked him in in some scenes at some point. Why would J.J. Abrahms meet with Shatner and not use him?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Midshipman

Now see, all you said is true, But what would be the harm if they had show Kirk in a bar say a year before he diyed. What would be the harm in that? I'm not saying bring Kirk back from the dead. Just that it would benice to see a story of a yonger Kirk told by an older Kirk. Thats the great thing about movies, you can set them at any time you like.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty971 View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why he isn't in the movie. It is pretty well known that this is a time travel story. They could have worked him in in some scenes at some point. Why would J.J. Abrahms meet with Shatner and not use him?
Maybe he just wanted Shatner to help in the the recreation of a yonger Kirk, maybe wanted Wills take on things. The man's a legend. You remaking a person made famos by him, and when you think Kirk you think William Shatner. I think JJ just wanted Shatners blessing so to speek nothing more.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Commander

Shatner's.
Kirk.
Is.
Dead.

D-E-D. Dead. His character died on film. Barring an end to the Writers' strike, Shatner's Kirk ain't comin' back anytime soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

The question raises an issue some fans are already up in arms about re: time travel and going back to the 'Academy' days of the original crew -- with Kirk's death firmly 'canonized' in the films, it would stretch plausibility a great deal to now include Shatner as Kirk, having aged well beyond the 'year' of his on-screen death. Shatner can't show up looking older before Kirk's death than he looked when the character passed several films ago.

No knock against Shatner, we all age -- but his character's quite definite death makes casting him in the same role a logistical nightmare that the story couldn't compensate for. Put it this way: had Kirk simply faded out of the film series instead of dying, he'd very likely be in this new film for at least a cameo. Shatner's not the problem, Kirk is dead in Nimoy-Spock's timeline for this film and they really can't get around that -- certainly not with fans screaming for canon accuracy with every third comment on the net.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Midshipman

Well it would not surprise me for Kirk to come back from the dead. it happens in films Alien resirection is an exsample as is *Cough*Star Trek 3*Cough*
Old 02-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Commander

True, Belial. However, they didn't wait fifteen years to resurrect Spock and there wasn't a writer's strike at the time, either.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Midshipman

I agree, just what you have to keep in mind is that the film compay have the finel say on weather a person is dead or not. Like in alien 3 riply died, then a few years later i think it was about 4 years after, Alien resirection came out as Fox wanted to milk the cash cow. Look at the AvP movies. Anthing can and will hapen, it might not happen this move, but you never can tell.