The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Parenting & Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Captain

Default Parenting & Star Trek

I was just watching the DS9 episode "The Visitor". The first time I saw it I was 20, and have only seen it a handful of times since.

Quick synopsis (courtesy of memory alpha): After a freak accident in the engine room of the Defiant apparently claims the life of Benjamin Sisko, Jake lives out his life in an endless quest to locate his father.

I always saw this episode through the eyes of Jake (being young myself at the time when it first premiered). In otherwords, I couldn't think of doing anything different then what Jake did, which was to get his dad back.

After seeing it for the first time as a parent, I now see it from the viewpoint of Sisko. I wouldn't want my kids wasting their lives trying to save me...I want them to make the most of their lives, and would be very disappointed if they didn't.

I was curious if anybody else had similiar reactions to any trek episodes...watching them in one phase of your life, then seeing then in a totally different light as you got older.

And if you did, which episode/movie was it?

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Captain

Interesting take. I was older than you were when I first saw it and I was able to see both points of view. The hard cold fact is that life doesn't stop when we lose a loved one. To change the direction of your life the way Jake did is understandable and to his credit, he did do something productive with his life and his work no doubt contributed to others' discoveries.

I think every time I re-watch a ST episode from any of the series, I always walk away with something different. Usually it is only because I am looking at it through the eyes of someone older and more sophisticated in general. But I just can't think of any specifics now.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Captain

I see it as Sisko being upset with the motivation behind what Jake was doing, regardless of the outcome.

I had always heard that you see the world differently after you become a parent....I suppose that applies to Trek as well. Thanks for your input!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
I see it as Sisko being upset with the motivation behind what Jake was doing, regardless of the outcome.

I had always heard that you see the world differently after you become a parent....I suppose that applies to Trek as well. Thanks for your input!
I remember the moment I became a father... I saw my son for the first time and thought Oh Lord am I going to be a good Dad? Everything around in that split second changed for me. Paranoia, to relaxing into the role, and finally passing on things to him. Everything I did from that moment on was centered around that little life. So of course now that he is older he watches Trek with dear ol Dad and Trek has been a common ground for us for a long time.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Captain

My wife refers to what you did with your son as "brainwashing"...lol. She says it affectionately, although I do wonder.....

I've been slowly introducing my kids to Trek. My oldest is only 3, so I don't want her going brain dead in front of the tv, but I let her see some "fun" parts, and get her little Trek things (like her teddy bear in a Star Trek uniform that she calls Trekkie). And my 1 year old snaps her head around everytime she hears Trek intro music (ANY series....and it's only for Trek on tv...no other shows!)

Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
My wife refers to what you did with your son as "brainwashing"...lol. She says it affectionately, although I do wonder.....

I've been slowly introducing my kids to Trek. My oldest is only 3, so I don't want her going brain dead in front of the tv, but I let her see some "fun" parts, and get her little Trek things (like her teddy bear in a Star Trek uniform that she calls Trekkie). And my 1 year old snaps her head around everytime she hears Trek intro music (ANY series....and it's only for Trek on tv...no other shows!)
That is funny. That is what my wife calls what I do with my son. She will come into my den where my son and I are watching episodes of Trek on DVD and she always pops off with ...I see you both are getting your daily dose of "brainwashing". Sometime my son and I will parrot back the phrase. (if we're not too engrossed into the show)
Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Captain

LOL! Still, your wives are more forgiving than mine is. She came home one day and saw my son and me on the couch watching Dr. Who and she had a fit, saying that I was disrupting his sense of reality. I mean... he's 2 1/2 yrs old. What, "Handy Manny" and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" are more realistic?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, my God! If I had a wife who claimed I was distorting my son's sense of reality by letting him watch a little Star Trek....I'd say that's grounds for divorce myself.

"Much as I love the little guy.....YOU keep him. Expose him to Oprah Winfrey. There! Now you'll really distort his sense of reality."

Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Vice Admiral

The episode where Troi has a baby made me cry a lot harder after I had my son! Esp. the part when Ian has to leave.

We're doing the same thing with our kid as you, Damage - letting him watch the "fun" episodes for now (he's 4) and saving the heavy ones for later. We figure 7 will be OK, cause that's about when hubby and I first saw them.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
LOL! Still, your wives are more forgiving than mine is. She came home one day and saw my son and me on the couch watching Dr. Who and she had a fit, saying that I was disrupting his sense of reality. I mean... he's 2 1/2 yrs old. What, "Handy Manny" and "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" are more realistic?
Wait until you are subjected to the "Doodle-Bops" Not only will that warp (no pun intended) your kids ...but also gives any adult with two brain cells to rub together a migraine to read about!