The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Global Warming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Global Warming Fact or Myth? What do you believe?
Fact 36 59.02%
Myth 25 40.98%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Vice Admiral

It's probably both - the earth does go through warming and cooling trends, but we're not helping things with all the pollution we cause. And I'm sure those scientists who say climate change is happening know more about it than any of us.

I don't understand why people don't want to take better care of the planet we inhabit - even if you think climate change isn't "real", surely you admit that the coral reefs are dying and we've over-fished the oceans? Never mind the industrial pollution in places like China. Or, for that matter, the Adirondaks.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Lieutenant

Humans do have an effect on the environment, as do all things in Nature.
Is our effect great enough to warrant many of us severly reducing our quality of life, that is the question, and that is the important part. Let's face it, if the folks talking about climate change are correct...there is only one solution that will work in the timeframe we are talking about. The immediate cessation of life for approximately 4 billion people, and the reduction to a primative lifestyle for the remaining 2 billion.

So...who wants what? Who has the right to choose?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Is our effect great enough to warrant many of us severly reducing our quality of life...there is only one solution that will work in the timeframe we are talking about. The immediate cessation of life for approximately 4 billion people, and the reduction to a primative lifestyle for the remaining 2 billion.

I'm curious to know what you qualify as "severly [sic] reducing our quality of life", and I'd like to know the source of your argument for the "immediate cessation of life for approximately 4 billion people, and the reduction to a primative [sic] lifestyle for the remaining 2 billion."

Last edited by Craaaaazy Weekend : 01-02-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Admiral

I think it's a little of both. There is fact to support the theory that our industrial presence affects the environment, but politics, unfortunately, has clouded alot of how far these facts extend. It's worked both ways. Science has been both curtailed and distorted to sell political agenda so to the point that we don't know fact from fiction. Certainly we have an effect on the environment but I find it difficult to know what to trust, mainly because of political agenda.

Anyone seen Gore's film? I haven't and am a bit wary.

I voted fact.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Global Warming is a fact. The debate among scientists and experts is not wether global warming exists, the debate is about all the confusing little details: How much global warming, where on our globe will we have more, where will we have less hurricanes and when and to what extent and why. Will the warming cause the Arctis to melt or will it make the Acrtis grow in the very long run and if, to what extent.

The question is not Global Warming, the question are the extent of its effects on human life. And here it is where scientific debate gets heated - as usual.

But this debate is what gives lobbyists the possibility to confuse people and play their games of deception, misinformation and propaganda. Listen carefully to what the ones who deny global warming are saying! They imply it to be myth by saying: Scientists do not agree on global warming.

Nope, but scientists dont even agree on gravity. They all know it exists, but they still argue what causes it and why and how and....

PS: Global Warming, a religion for atheists? Bugger
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ
Well said, BB.
If I may add something, it is not clear how much of the heating is caused by us and our CO2 emissions and which is part of the usual long-run temperature cycle. It is clear that CO2 does heat up the climate, the extent yet is unclear.
An average temperature increase of 2-3 °C will cause massive problems and massive costs. So if we try to reduce our emissions, we can save those costs. If we do too much, no harm is done, if we do not enough, a lot of harm is done. It is an asymmetric situation which clearly cries for reducing our emissions, which cries for going boldly, for fighting against lobbyists which try to manipulate science and governments. Any political leader is ill-advised to be timid in times of global heating and a financial crisis.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralroot View Post
Of course its a myth, thew world has actually been cooling for the last ten years. I mean, just last month, we got a snow storm so severe here that we had a "snow day" from school. And I don't think I was even born the last time we had a snow day.
You mistake climate (long-run) and weather (short-run). As global heating is about average temperature increase of a few degress, it does not imply that there will be no more snow anymore. This morning it had -10°C (14°F) here which is no argument against global heating as we talk about long-run average temperatures. Just like a stock market crash of -50% in half a year does not negate that the long-run average performance of stocks is about +8% per year.
And where you or I live, global heating might do little harm, but people living e.g. in Africa will have to suffer from more natural catastrophes and less chances to do agriculture which means in plain English, they will starve. Helping people to survive sounds like a noble goal if all it takes to reach is fighting against lobbies and international cooperation.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Federation Councillor

I believe human activity is affecting the climate and environment, but I also believe the planet has natural phases and fluctuations over time, so I always tend to view it as a bit of both. But like others have well stated, the degree to which each affects the planet, I can't guess at.

I don't believe it's a myth at all - though certain vested commercial and governmental groups would like to downplay human culpability.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Independent research is a noble, but rare.
Distortion of the truth is pretty evident in the case of global warming. No one has an interest in exaggerating while virtually any industry (including CEOs as well as normal workers) related to products which emit CO2 has an interest in downplaying.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Admiral

I honestly havn't seen anything that proves to me that us humans are making things that much worse as far as Global Warming. While Global Warming is there as in the Globe Warms itself I just dislike the people saying we as a society are the root cause. Granted we might not be helping and on the flip side we might not be able to make a change in the over all warming of our planet. The fact that we blame one thing to me is kinda unscientific. Science is about Data in the grand scheme of thing we've only been monitoring our planet with any detail for 1 year out of the 100 this planet has exsisted.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Global warming is az scam, Al Gore did it to get VP and money. It worked. Now, we are focusing on Better fuel to reduce emmisions, which is taking out of food ( corn, especially) thats probably why our economy is such a mess. Its been proven not true! There are records proving a GLOBAL drop in temperature from 07. Now we have to see 08's. Anyways, how can you say Global Warming, when there is 10 Ft of snow covering most of northern US?