The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Global Warming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Global Warming Fact or Myth? What do you believe?
Fact 36 59.02%
Myth 25 40.98%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Default Global Warming

Global Warming – Fact or Myth

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Anthropogenic Global Climate Change - Fact.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant

myth. I'm surprised. I thought I was in the minority of people who didn't accept global warming. but according to current poll results I'm not.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant

I've read extensively on both sides of this issue and the only conclusive fact I've arrived at is that...

...it makes for great storytelling if it's true.

(which is of course why I've read extensively)
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Commander

Myth. It's political manipulation and a "religion" for atheists.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Of course its a myth, thew world has actually been cooling for the last ten years. I mean, just last month, we got a snow storm so severe here that we had a "snow day" from school. And I don't think I was even born the last time we had a snow day.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Captain

Global Warming is a fact. The debate among scientists and experts is not wether global warming exists, the debate is about all the confusing little details: How much global warming, where on our globe will we have more, where will we have less hurricanes and when and to what extent and why. Will the warming cause the Arctis to melt or will it make the Acrtis grow in the very long run and if, to what extent.

The question is not Global Warming, the question are the extent of its effects on human life. And here it is where scientific debate gets heated - as usual.

But this debate is what gives lobbyists the possibility to confuse people and play their games of deception, misinformation and propaganda. Listen carefully to what the ones who deny global warming are saying! They imply it to be myth by saying: Scientists do not agree on global warming.

Nope, but scientists dont even agree on gravity. They all know it exists, but they still argue what causes it and why and how and....

PS: Global Warming, a religion for atheists? Bugger
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

Last edited by Botany Bay : 01-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Commander

Very good video...my take on the whole issue from the very beginning, except presented far more effectively than I could.

-Free Enterprise
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Rear Admiral

I think global warming is undeniably happening, but has been exaggerated by certain scientists and officials to the point where people can say that it is a "religion for atheists" which is a bogus thing to say. It is undeniable, by anyone, that humans have changed our planet in irreversible ways, and one side effect is a slow warming of our planet. But, it is easy for many, like admiralroot, to dismiss it because we cannot see the immediate effects.

Thus, I believe that global warming is not the correct phrase to title such a phenomenon, as global climate change is, because it is not just warming that is occurring, but major unbalances throughout the globe. Will we experience some sort of The Day After Tomorrow? No, but we will see slow changes and eventually we will be forced to accept that we have worked to destroy our planet through ignorance and pollution.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
I think global warming is undeniably happening, but has been exaggerated by certain scientists and officials to the point where people can say that it is a "religion for atheists" which is a bogus thing to say. It is undeniable, by anyone, that humans have changed our planet in irreversible ways, and one side effect is a slow warming of our planet. But, it is easy for many, like admiralroot, to dismiss it because we cannot see the immediate effects.

Thus, I believe that global warming is not the correct phrase to title such a phenomenon, as global climate change is, because it is not just warming that is occurring, but major unbalances throughout the globe. Will we experience some sort of The Day After Tomorrow? No, but we will see slow changes and eventually we will be forced to accept that we have worked to destroy our planet through ignorance and pollution.
How can there be global warming if there is no warming? Since 1998, the earth's temp hasn't risen at all and even has decreased alittle. Does that sound like global warming to you?