The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I can't shake the feeling that...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Right, that's the reason why his screaming about the "LATEST AND GREATEST THEORY OF SCIENCE!" is a blatant insult to all the other great theories of science.
Orci has the right to express his OPINION on which is the "latest and greatest theory of science", just as you have the right to disagree with his opinion. But your disagreement does not invalidate his preference.

The idea that one cannot praise a theory because it fails to equally praise all other theories is just nonsense.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
I think it was in an Orci interview that he said that the movie takes places after Nemisis. And that the reasons of the changes is becuase of time travel. So I have a feeling in the end all will be "Back to normal"
Changing things "back to normal" at the end of the film would defeat the purpose of changing them in the first place. Regardless of the time-travel justification, the point was to update the look of the franchise. There's no going back.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 01-04-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: OCD.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Federation Councillor

I think according to the most recent Trekmovie article that the writers said that because Nero goes back in time the film starts in the existing TOS universe, he just goes back from it's future. When he goes back he causes the creation of the alternate universe by his actions and once the new universe is created we'll be staying there, whilst the first universe is unaffected. So while we don't know for sure how and where the film will end, it would seem unlikely to reset it and undo the changes they have made for the film.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Shake it off, Jim.
*LOL* Shaking
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Damnit, I am a writer, not a scientist!
lmao..that is too good!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Rear Admiral

Just for the sake of adding my two and a half cents to this thread. I think that tossing all the new designs and other concepts(which are pretty awsome in my opinion) would be a collosal waste. If they are just going to go back to a 40 year old design what is the purpose? Just to satisfy the demands of an alternate timeline story? Lame. If this is going to be a re-boot... keep the bar at the level you raised it to.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Just for the sake of adding my two and a half cents to this thread. I think that tossing all the new designs and other concepts(which are pretty awsome in my opinion) would be a collosal waste. If they are just going to go back to a 40 year old design what is the purpose? Just to satisfy the demands of an alternate timeline story? Lame. If this is going to be a re-boot... keep the bar at the level you raised it to.
Or dropped it to.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Rear Admiral

In light of recent Trek films that did not fair so well in the eyes of their fans ...I think "raised the bar" is an accurate assessment.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Then why didn't JJ and the rest of 'em just SAY THAT IT WAS A RE-BOOT in the first place and get it out in the open instead of concocting this convoluted alternate reality/universe/timeline cop-out explanation to put a band-aid on the already profusely bleeding wound they had cut in the existing Star Trek universe? And there is nothing wrong with using the original Jeffries design. Deg3d, EdenFX, and many other CGI artists have proven that without a doubt the original Connie can be made modern without completely re-designing it. Their designs are beautifully detailed and would have been perfect for the big screen.

Quote:
In light of recent Trek films that did not fair so well in the eyes of their fans ...I think "raised the bar" is an accurate assessment.
Not necessarily. Some fans feel quite differently.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Admiral

I personally like the new design I was never a big fan of the original E.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com