The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I can't shake the feeling that...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

I understand you, NCC, but if I would get upset everytime economics is underrepresented, everytime someone speaks or writes about it without having some basic knowledge or everytime someone ignores its relevance, I would have to be pissed all day
Unlike theoretical physics, the stuff you study seems to have a closer connection to reality and applicability. Theoretical physics is fun, but I don't see its usefulness.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Well I don't pretend to understand the nitty gritty of QM or Many Worlds, but if a few people who do, including people who worked on Trek before seem to agree that it will work, then that's enough for me to hang my hat on to enjoy the film.

And as the article said, we still don't know why the characters are doing what they do or what the consequences may be - so there's still time for the unexpected!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I understand you, NCC, but if I would get upset everytime economics is underrepresented, everytime someone speaks or writes about it without having some basic knowledge or everytime someone ignores its relevance, I would have to be pissed all day
Unlike theoretical physics, the stuff you study seems to have a closer connection to reality and applicability. Theoretical physics is fun, but I don't see its usefulness.
Thank you

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
At the end of the movie we'll see something more like the classic Connie.

I think it was in an Orci interview that he said that the movie takes places after Nemisis. And that the reasons of the changes is becuase of time travel. So I have a feeling in the end all will be "Back to normal"

I just can't shake that feeling same kind of feeling I had after Gen when I told my brother by the next movie Data will be able to turn off his emotion chip.
I have the same feeling. Orci seemed to indicate the story takes place in an alternate timeline, presumably brought about by Nero. Once things are set right, maybe they'll look right. However a general audience may find it a bit confusing. "so we went through all that so it would never happen?" Sure to us, Star Trek fans it would be a nice moment to see, something familiar ending the movie but to anyone who doesn't know much about Trek or has not watched very much of it might find it a bit convoluted, I don't think confusing, but uneccessary.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 01-03-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcunk View Post
i think Guinan race may perceive time differantly. it is a powerfull race that even q seemed to fear.

Maybe Guinan is a Time Lord? That would explain her longevity, and Time Lords are aware of all the various permutations of the effects of disturbances in the time continum.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Her echo in the nexus allows her to sense things

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Maybe Guinan is a Time Lord? That would explain her longevity, and Time Lords are aware of all the various permutations of the effects of disturbances in the time continum.

What the hell is a time lord? I must have missed that episode.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Commander

Time Lords are a race of time travelers from Doctor Who. Like Guinan's El Aurian species, they look human but have much longer lives, significantly different physiology, and the ability to perceive the flow of time and changes in history.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Captain

Oh, yeah. They've gone megamall-crowd with it, and if it tanks because of it there'll be no more. If it doesn't, there'll be no stopping them. Either way, the Starship-Too-Hideous-To-Be-Believed is here to stay.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
At the end of the movie we'll see something more like the classic Connie.

I think it was in an Orci interview that he said that the movie takes places after Nemisis. And that the reasons of the changes is becuase of time travel. So I have a feeling in the end all will be "Back to normal"

I just can't shake that feeling same kind of feeling I had after Gen when I told my brother by the next movie Data will be able to turn off his emotion chip.
Shake it off, Jim.