The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Hit with a theory this morning re: Nero
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Lieutenant

Default Hit with a theory this morning re: Nero

This morning, I was thinking about the movie while in the shower and was (proverbially) hit in the head by something I hadn't thought of before.

What if Nero is an augment? I noticed when looking at the cover for the comic being released in April, that there are no commanding marker's on the uniform being worn by who appears to be Data. As the caption below that picture suggested (on Trekmovie.com), what if it is Lore? It seems like I remember a TNG episode suggesting that Noonian Sung had given his knowledge to both Data and Lore. If this is the case, would Lore have a reason to create Romulan augments?

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 01-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
This morning, I was thinking about the movie while in the shower and was proverbially hit in the head by something I hadn't thought of before.

What if Nero is an augment? I noticed when looking at the cover for the comic being released in April, that there are no commanding marker's on the uniform being worn by who appears to be Data. As the caption below that picture suggested, what if it is Lore? It seems like I remember a TNG episode suggesting that Noonian Sung had given his knowledge to both Data and Lore. If this is the case, would Lore have a reason to create Romulan augments?

I think that storyline might only make sense to someone with a very in-depth knowledge of the show. The film is being aimed at a broad audience who probably don't know who Romulans are let alone augments or Noonian Soong etc.. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, I also think that could be over complicated for a new audience, and I think they are trying to avoid deliberate complexity like that. Kind of a neat idea though.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

It would kinda connect the augment story from ENT with Data and Lore. It is a lovely idea, but clearly too complex for a movie.
If I may add something to your ideas, perhaps some Borg capture Lore and reassemble him. Thus it would be an epic story involving Borg, the Klingons (augment virus), the Romulans ... perhaps you wanna write a book?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Vice Admiral

Maybe.. good idea. But probably not.I think that is B4. Picard has most likely thaught him lots as i would expect.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Vice Admiral

And it would be tough to explain how Lore has aged over ten years in the past.

But that would be a great idea for a novel!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Spiner did not want to continue to play Data because he thinks an android should not age. Yet it was mentioned in "Inheritance" where Data meets his "androidified mother" that they both have an aging program and he also changed his apperance to look older in "All Good Things". If you want to do something, it is always possible in sci-fi
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Wrong Soong. The one in ENT that created the augments is NOT the same guy that built Data. More like a grandfather or great grandfather to the one that built Data. It seems that cybernetics became a family venture for the Soongs
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Even the most constructed plot device to bring Lore back (I think Data will be in the comics) would be better than Data's mentally handicapped brother.
B4 was NOT handicapped. Why do people keep saying this kind of stuff? Rewatch NEM and pay attention to the part where geordi explains B4 is identical to Data in ALL ways except nueral pathway development. Neural pathway development comes with time... it's NOT just built into the Soong type androids. Even Data had his "childhood", even his "infancy" like we saw of B4 in NEM (mentioned in the episode with Data's mother).