The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Can Star Trek beat the competiton in May?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can Star Trek Beat the Competition in May?
Yes 33 68.75%
No 3 6.25%
Unsure 12 25.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
yep........I believe they need to step up on marketing NOW or else we're in bi trouble, because alot of my friends either havent seen it, or dont want to see it.They need to kind of " Force" them to see it. AKA- a superbowl appearence would be fantastic!
"bi trouble" ... Is that something like "Bi Curious"?

"Force" them ... like a Jedi?

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842

Last edited by Sybock : 01-01-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Terminator is coming two weeks after Trek, so it shouldn't put too much of a premature end to Trek's potential fervor. All in all, these two shouldn't be too big an issue, but they are the other two big names for May.
Despite my fondness for the Terminator series, there's a reasonable chance that the new one is going to bomb terribly. Since it's not going to be set in the present-day real world, there's a chance it'll be just another post-apocalyptic, dirty-survivors-versus-killer-robots flick. Like the Zion scenes of the Matrix sequels. Taking the 'reality' out of Terminator may take the humanity out of it too, turning off audiences and critics alike.

That's one area in which the new Trek might just have an edge: engaging characters with interesting stories. Like Wolverine, it'll be both an origins story and a nostalgia trip, which will hopefully count for something positive.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Despite my fondness for the Terminator series, there's a reasonable chance that the new one is going to bomb terribly. Since it's not going to be set in the present-day real world, there's a chance it'll be just another post-apocalyptic, dirty-survivors-versus-killer-robots flick. Like the Zion scenes of the Matrix sequels. Taking the 'reality' out of Terminator may take the humanity out of it too, turning off audiences and critics alike.

That's one area in which the new Trek might just have an edge: engaging characters with interesting stories. Like Wolverine, it'll be both an origins story and a nostalgia trip, which will hopefully count for something positive.
That's a very good observation, Big D, and I hadn't thought about it quite that way before; I think you have a good point. I hope Trek can deliver on being a story about people that the audience can identify with.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Trek should do just fine… no real competition in May. A super bowl spot would be cool.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Vice Admiral

I believe the Terminator movie and the Wolverine movie will sap some of the potential revenue from Star Trek. I realize people can watch multiple movies, but the reality is many people don't go watch movies in theaters anymore. When I go it is usually for a movie I have been waiting for, but many people I have spoken to are different. They decide to go out to watch a movie and don't decide what to watch until slightly before heading to the theater. Star Trek will have it's work cut out for it. Let's hope the opening weekend does good and the word of mouth buzz carries it for a few weeks. If it isn't #1 on it's opening weekend I fear Trek may be doomed
Old 01-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Vice Admiral

i think star trek will crash them all like worms
Old 01-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I'm hopeful that Star Trek will make enough money at the box office to warrent more films in the series. What do you think of the competition?

05.01.09:

X-men Origins: Wolverine
The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

05.08.09:

STAR TREK
Next Day Air
My Life in Ruins
Wild Child

Angels & Demons
Bruno
The Brother's bloom

Terminator Salvation
Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian

Up
Drag Me To Hell

If think Star Trek's competition for box office gold that month may come from these films,in this order- 1)Angels and Demons 2)Wolverine 3)Museum 4) Terminator ..... Two sequels and two prequels against a re-boot.
I think you're quite close, unless one of the others proves a surprise draw. Wolverine will have had it's big weekend, so it depends how well it holds over with the audience for it's second weekend. Star Trek has no other big competitor so should have that weekend all to itself as long as it draws in the crowds. Angels and Demons is the big one, it will likely have a massive opening weekend (despite the reviews DVC still made over $700 million worldwide and A&D is actually the better book with better film potential - iron out some flaws in pacing and costume from DVC and I would not write it off) and might stall Trek on weekend 2, then Museum 2 will almost certainly knock A&D off the top, by being family oriented, though Terminator might just be able to match it. By then it will be easier to tell how well Trek is holding up as it will be on it's third weekend.

But no-one ever really knows until it's out there!

Last edited by kevin : 01-02-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Isn't Watchmen out in May as well? I agree that there's some stiff competition out there. But thankfully, it's not like people are gonna be forced to see only one movie in the entire month. Indeed, having a range of sci-fi and fantasy might put people in the mood for some Trekkin'.

I still feel it was unwise for them to move Trek back to May in order to 'avoid competition', though, since quite the opposite has happened.
Hasn't the Xmas eve legal judgement that WB had no right to make it led to a possible pause until Fox and Warner Bros settle?

Although I had heard some were calling for a Wolverine boycott if Watchmen got delayed or altered - so that might affect Wolverine at the box office.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
"bi trouble" ... Is that something like "Bi Curious"?

"Force" them ... like a Jedi?
Bit, is what i meant..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Bit, is what i meant..
I know, just messing with you since we took that test and you are more like Chekov and I'm ..... Troy .

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842