The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek XI have mass appeal to a non- fan base?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Commander

*I don't think Star Trek was ever meant to appeal to such masses, and I'm really not sure I'd want it to. I mean, if Trek ever became as popular as the iPod or Britney Spears, I'm not sure I'd like it as much. Know what I mean?*
My "Candle-lit darkened room Trek ceremonies of illicit and secretive Trek screenings for the laboriously and completely technobabble vetted initiated" hits a home-run yet again.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant

Looooooolll nice one Snyder. Its exactly the problem for Trek, we trekkies are so enamoured by miniscule details such as the Shape of the Enterprise, we completely ignore the poor storylines, incoherent and inconsistent technobabble, and dare say hammed acting? that plagues Trek movies.

I mean i love Kirk and Shatner, but Shat's acting can sometimes be comic when viewed a second time or when high
Old 12-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant

Not that JJ will fix all that. God knows how Pine and Quinto will manage, and how good the plot will really be, and whether Bana can play Nero more like a villan and not a wimp like in Troy. There are many variables, but i smell box office dough $$$
Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Commander

*Its exactly the problem for Trek, we trekkies are so enamoured by miniscule details such as the Shape of the Enterprise, we completely ignore the poor storylines, incoherent and inconsistent technobabble*
Don't ever get into a drinking game that requires a shot for every technobabble line of dialogue.

I used to play PC Links, where every hole on the 18 tee course required a beer and double shot of whiskey before tee-off (with another regular shot for every stroke over par).

It was nothing compared to the Trek episode drinking game.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Lieutenant

ROFL! You must have loved Voyager, it had the most technobabble i think. BTW how is your liver? All that drinking you need for TNG, DS9, VOY....................cant imagine
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Lieutenant

I'm part of a circle of friends who goes to see movies together. Most of my friends are not "television" people and not into Star Trek. After the Bond movie they were all excited about seeing the new film from what they saw in the trailer. It was voted and that is a film that has to be seen on IMAX. Where I live a matinee cost $7.50, Imax is 60 miles away and more expensive so we tend to just see "Event" films there.

All that said I think the buzz so far is good and hopefully it will be a good enough film for people to want to see it more than once in a theater. That first trailer was enough for my friends to want to see it on a big screen and not wait for a DVD release. If it is a great movie with cool FX my friends and I will buy the Blu-Ray and not the DVD.

Frenzy, you gotta see the 2000 film "Chopper" ....... Bana can play BAD *** BAD!

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842

Last edited by Sybock : 12-29-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Lieutenant

When I see comments on YouTube that says "I never gave a crap about/hated Star Trek, but this actually looks cool so I'll check it" or "I have never been a Star Trek fan before but want to know where to start before I watch this movie," then I know it is getting notice of the mainstream.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
When I see comments on YouTube that says "I never gave a crap about/hated Star Trek, but this actually looks cool so I'll check it" or "I have never been a Star Trek fan before but want to know where to start before I watch this movie," then I know it is getting notice of the mainstream.
Yeah, people that post comments on YouTube are mainstream.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Lieutenant

I think Yes and No, the perfectly balanced answer. I do think that Paramount will increase the size of the Star Trek pie, but I don't think it will ever become mainstream, no matter how cool they try to make it. I look at Star Wars, which I suppose is the most successful and widely seen series in the genre, and I believe it still is way short of being generally popular. However, it can be reasonably said the the majority of movie-goers are teens and 20-somethings, and they are more likely to see Star Trek if it is marketed successfully, so the movie could be quite popular within that demographic.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Lieutenant

Star Wars is not mainstream?????????? Have you seen their box office returns? Please dont tell me its the fans watching the movie 1000 times, that would be heart breakingly sad. Thanks for the heads up Sybock, will watch Chopper. Gotta love those Aussie movies And Eric Bana looks.......fat? Or is mean the right word? :X