The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek XI have mass appeal to a non- fan base?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Rear Admiral

Post Will Star Trek XI have mass appeal to a non- fan base?

I have heard from all the different fan factions but I have heard little about those who have discussed the new movie with "non-fans." I am not sure if there is another thread like this one and please pardon me if there is...I would like to hear if there is good John-Q-Public response or if this movie continues to hold the stigma of "just for the geeky fans" status?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Vice Admiral

u had published an interview with a non fan who said she would see it..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

The simple answer is no.

Movies like this do not have mass appeal to anyone. They cater to a select market and very limited market.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Captain

There hasn't been enough marketing outside the niche market yet to judge public interest.

If they talk about it on The View you can bet it'll be big.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Captain

My answer is no. Star Trek has been practically a worldwide phenomenon, no one within the reach of this film's marketing is unfamiliar with it, and they've got 40 years worth of material already on which to make up their minds about seeing this. Those who will would have anyway, those who haven't already very likely won't. Unless a major rabbit is pulled out of a particularly impressive hat, this film isn't going to change anyone's mind about something everyone already has a pre-formed opinion.

The changes, trying to make it 'edgy' and 'hip'... still calling that a Bad Idea. It's a little like a real world equivalent to George Carlin's character's idea of "Buddy Christ" in Dogma.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

I know several people, considered non-fans, who look forward to the film. And no, they have not prematurely made up their minds out the film, nor that it's TREK. They just want to see the film, and they'll wait until next May to find out if they like it, don't, or whether they become a fan or not.

As the marketing efforts increase, the buzz among the general public will ensue... just like many other films. The same happened for IRON MAN, which few were anticipating but many saw when it arrived. It's simply not begun in full force yet this early, and for good reason.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Captain

I agree, my feeling is NO. I don't think Star Trek was ever meant to appeal to such masses, and I'm really not sure I'd want it to. I mean, if Trek ever became as popular as the iPod or Britney Spears, I'm not sure I'd like it as much. Know what I mean?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Lieutenant

Well, you can bet JJ will pull out all the stops to make it Non Trek, Do not expect to see premiers with a lot of Trekkies.... with their uniforms and phasers and tricorders. :P

Anyway, there is a concept that people wont watch it coz its Trek, WRONG!! Trek has never tried to cater for anyone other than Trekkies. Just see the storylines, you cannot fully enjoy it without the knowledge of Trek. The movies which try to move outside that box have succeeded. Eg: The Voyage Home [ST4] TWOK [ST2] First Contact[ST8]
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Lieutenant

JJ has tried saying its cool and hip, just watch all those exclusive MTV launches of pics and info. Whats cooler than MTV Also notice the Big Budget? Def JJ needs the mainstream to get a decent score
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Vice Admiral

I agree with frenzy all the way