The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > What would people want from a new Star Trek game?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I just want an end to the continued curse of star trek gaming to end just like so many! Though i fear that wont happen until CBS/Paramount find a company that is serious and will put in an real effort in producing something that gives a little of everything to everyone. Though what iam finding is that the gaming industry is simply dysfunctional and accountable to no one in which i think should change and why to a certain degree i support MMO as you are paying a monthly fee which in a sense is holding the company accountable. Until something is on the line and they are held accountable nothing will change this curse that has followed Star Trek gaming.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Ensign

Even an ST online probably couldn't give Me all I'd want, but it would be a good start if they'd open up the playable classes to more than Science, Security and Medical as was planned. Have provisions for multiclassing and crossclass training and include all the branches: Engineering, Command, Starfleet Intelligence, Communications, Diplomatics, MACO's, Special Operations, Logistics, Admin/Yeomen,etc.(I do realise that some of these functionscan be combined into the main class/branch positions and probably would be)with various problem solving for each "Crew" or "Landing Party/Away Team". I don't want to just fly around and fight space battles. I want that to be part of it but I want to experience more.
For Online, but particularily Non-Online, the ability to set your adventures in any of the series or movies or the future with respect to uniforms and technology and ship design(weapons, tricorders etc) would be great but probably not viable except in mods if available for pc games. I'd go for a game set in any timeframe, but with the new movie coming out going back to the TOS era would be alright. Though I would like to see or be able to be "assigned" to other era ships than just the Enterprise. With the chance to interact with characters, starfleet and otherwise, from all the series. Even cross-series implimentation of crew and characters in different roles would be enjoyable. Most of all in the area of ship creation I'd like a much more wide open product than previously offered so I could do some things never available before like build a "Dreadnought", or mount the whole Miranda class hull onto a Constitution class refit secondary hull like a model I built years ago from the two AMG TWOK ships, and take it into exploration/battle
Those are just some of My thoughts.
Thanks for reading people.
John Steakley ~ "Armor" ~
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Ensign

Theres a number of Star Trek games I'd like to see, and a brand-new, shiny version of Birth of the Federation is right on the top of my list.

A close 2nd is a new point & click like A Final Unity. I still play it from time to time and I still love it, it's too short in the context of today's game but the spirit is still there. Who couldn't fall in love with being able to pick the landing party and operate the transporter? Haven't had an ST game like this in a long time, so I'd love to see another one made.

Bridge Commander needs a sequal too, along with Starfleet Academy. I liked the concept of Legacy but it was very poorly implemented in almost every aspect and there should be another version of it made to do it justice.

For this MMORPG, I'm not sure whats going on with it, i've kept myself in the dark because I'd be setting my watch waiting for it to release. I hope they take some pages from the book of Frontier Elite. I'd love to have the option to be a freelance cargo hauler, get myself a Q-Ship and do a bit of pirating! Pity the rebel movement from Voyager are all but killed off, could have joined in that!

My sorta dream game for Star Trek would be a "super-game". Mixing aspects of A Final Unity, Elite Force, Bridge Commander & Starfleet Academy. Playing a role of certain cremember(s), having to command the ship, go and fight in away teams, solve puzzles & problems as well, along with picking some choices in FMVs like you could in Starfleet Academy. I'd pay through the nose for such a game, will never come alive, but we can dream!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I love the simulators, but my first choice would be an updated ST: 25th Anniversary or Judgement Rites game.
The latest graphics with cool interactive puzzles.
Make it so!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer00jay View Post
I love the simulators, but my first choice would be an updated ST: 25th Anniversary or Judgement Rites game.
The latest graphics with cool interactive puzzles.
Make it so!
I hadn't thought of that but that would be great fun. I came across those games while getting ready to move. Brought back good memories. New graphics would make a big difference.

Another thought I had on the ST:Online or other RPG version would have the characters using the Guardian and travelling to different "time" modules. This would allow for having characters appear in the uniforms of each series incarnation, involve ships of that time and meet/interact with all the cast members we so enjoy. I don't know all the games produced. Has this element been used before?

Thanks for reading people.
John Steakley ~ "Armor" ~
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I still play Bridge Commander and it's was awesome then but now more so with the new mods...this game kicks tale...the modders did a better job than the makers.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I still play Bridge Commander and it's was awesome then but now more so with the new mods...this game kicks tale...the modders did a better job than the makers.
The game is what it is because of the modders, seen the Enterprise F someone created?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Ensign

I'd love a game that allows you to slowly work your ways up the ranks (in starfleet, romulan empire, klingon etc and the secret organisations) with plenty of side missions and freedom of exploration. Topped with something along the lines of bridge commander for space combat. I like games that dont force you in an obvious direction. I want to choose what I do and when I do it (unless part of a mission etc).
Old 03-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Ensign

I want something like Bridge Commander, but with the added part of having to select landing parties and beam down to various planets and play through all kinds of different missions.

Diplomatic, First contact, Save the planet from maniacal computers. Things like that.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

What i honestly think the Star Trek Gaming Community simply wants is a game in which provides a little of everything, they had that almost with Legacy. Today many games are on servers which have to be purchased or host you own ability to do so, the community wants to be able to Mod the game which i may say ST community is huge when it comes to Modding if not the largest. As well, they want good modding tools and the ability to have campaign system while micromanaging the ships and so on, the problem is today you have console and it is a dumbed down portion of a PC game. As well and until they mainstream the crossplatform play with PC & Xbox360 i think it will move things forward far more.

When it comes to Star Trek Gaming, i don't think a company really understands the dynamics of the community and how large it is and what it wants and while the company has to cater to everyone that is understood but to exclude or not understand the past of ST gaming is pure ignorance and we saw that with Bethsoft. While Legacy was a test bed of how much they could make, they made plenty back when it came to Xbox360 when they only put in a fraction of the cost of a normal budget.

Cheers,

Acidrain