The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Reason why Shatner should NOT be in Star Trek XI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*And I hope that CGI will never be used as a replacement for dead or ageing actors.*
Dunno. It worked fairly well for Beowulf I guess.
Lucas, playing around with Clone Wars, may well be finding ways to generate that style animation on a less costly level that may be of benefit to many.
He did after all pioneer Pixar.

As for the actors' likenesses, I suppose a contract could be generated with relatives of the deceased and directly with those still among us. All that would take is some talented sculptors and scanners to generate a 3D likeness for manipulation.
Beowulf used live actors and then inserted everything else around them, not really the same as reproducing dead people.
And Lucas did not pioneer Pixar, he inadvertently founded it.

Okay, say that you now have the dead people's likenesses - they are still dead, so you have no voice actors!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
The old cast are just that. Old. And I hope that CGI will never be used as a replacement for dead or ageing actors.
Just wait, they've already ripped Fred Astaire from his grave and made him dance with a vacuum cleaner. There should be laws against this sort of thing.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 12-29-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Beowulf used live actors and then inserted everything else around them, not really the same as reproducing dead people.
And Lucas did not pioneer Pixar, he inadvertently founded it.

Okay, say that you now have the dead people's likenesses - they are still dead, so you have no voice actors!
Good points DNA-1842. I'm thinking it wouldn't be right to have other actors do the voice work for those that have passed and I also get a feeling that the entire surviving cast would not be on board or too expensive.

Something that might be cool is if they threw out the dated animation in ST:TAS and re-animated (no pun intended), did over or remastered the whole thing with better animation or CGI. Then they could use the original cast voice work.

I appreciate what Lucas is doing with Clone Wars but find the CGI look of the characters just plain goofey. Something like The Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within CGI would work better in my mind.

Just a thought ...... I would buy it.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Rear Admiral

Lemme see?...other than halted campy acting, a body shaped like a beer keg with legs, tremendous ego insisting on all the best scenes, as well as and elephant sized arse that no longer fits in the command chair....hmmm?...naw there is no reason why Shatner sould be in this movie?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
You underrate Shat's crazy discipline and dedication to acting. He could drop the weight and fit back into his old uniform in no time.
Except he didn't and the film is completed now.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Commander

*Beowulf used live actors and then inserted everything else around them, not really the same as reproducing dead people.*
Bodies are bodies, you just add a CGI head later. I wouldn't recommend that approach anyway. I was merely answering your question about using dead actors and how it could be accomplished.

The Clone Wars stylized approach is more viable since exact likenesses wouldn't be required.

*And Lucas did not pioneer Pixar, he inadvertently founded it.*
Meh. Founded it then sold it. You say inadvertently as if it was a complete accident.

*Okay, say that you now have the dead people's likenesses - they are still dead, so you have no voice actors!*
Since it would be TOS, there are plenty of voice actors who can accomplish a close enough impersonation of any cast if that is the goal to keep it close. Or, simply new voices that would become attached to the animated images (same as Clone wars).

Your arguments against are very weak and easily solved.
Of course, this has about zero chance of happening anyway, so the point (and discussion thereof) is really moot.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Lemme see?...other than halted campy acting, a body shaped like a beer keg with legs, tremendous ego insisting on all the best scenes, as well as and elephant sized arse that no longer fits in the command chair....hmmm?...naw there is no reason why Shatner sould be in this movie?
Not completely accurate . . .

Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Not completely accurate . . .

and how so?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant

Because he fits in the chair. I agree the dude is overweight, but he is friggin 75 years old!! I hope I look that damn sharp at 75.

He's not in the movie. Case closed.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
and how so?
The "elephant sized arse" is in the chair.

I don't think Shatner is really as big as we think he is.

Sure, he's larger than he was 15 years ago. So am I. But that's not the point. They killed his character and for whatever reason, he let them do it. That's why Shatner can't be Kirk any more.

That, and have you seen the size of his melon? It's frickin' huge!