The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Battlestar Galactica anyone? :P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

There is a movie supposedly in the works, but it will be closer in tone and feel to the original 1978 show. That's not to say it's going to take the elements that many felt were cheesy about the original series (disco balls, feathered hair, googly eyed aliens, and men --and monkeys-- in robot suits). But it will likely take the core premise, give it a bit of an edgier dramatic tone, and try to make a blockbuster from it.

That said...I loved both the original and new series. They both had their charms and flaws. I am eagerly awaiting the Caprica series, as I've seen the pilot DVD, and it was very cool.

Also waiting on "The Plan".

For the record, the original series wasn't "kiddie friendly". It was "family friendly". The entire family could watch this show as easily as they could watch Star Wars. Lots of TOS haters use the term "kid friendly" as a derogatory term...making it sound like a "live action Saturday morning kids' show." Episodes like "War of the Gods", and "The Living Legend" were proof against such notions. Still, the entire family could watch those episodes.

One converse complaint that haters of the new series had was that you could NOT sit down with your kids and watch this show together. When the new Galactica came on (if the haters were so inclined to watch the new show...even if out of morbid curiosity) they would have to send their kids to bed, or simply out of the living room. I would agree that sensible parents (regardless of if they liked the series or not) would send their kids out of the room. This was high drama, with a lot of mature themes to it...and largely unsuitable for young'n's.

That said....I'm glad I don't have kids.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Federation Councillor

I'm not sensible then!! Very young kids, I think not, but I think those over 11/12 could handle it. Somewould go over their head anyway.

A lot of good metaphors for the world contained in BSG.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I'm not sensible then!! Very young kids, I think not, but I think those over 11/12 could handle it. Somewould go over their head anyway.

A lot of good metaphors for the world contained in BSG.

I agree that kids in their pre-teens could probably handle the show. I meant really young kids...young enough to be impressionable.... say 5-9 years.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Lieutenant Commander

im 14 and i like it lol
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

'tis a good show, 'tisn't it?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Lieutenant

Loved it, missing the show already. Fanfics help a bit for me. Liked what I saw with Caprica. Be interesting to see where it goes.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Ensign

i don't watch, but it sounds like a good show

Star Trek Voyager DVDI am back//Star Trek The Next Generation DVDman/woman-problem
Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Lieutenant Commander

i am missimng it too
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Federation Councillor

I have the final season on pre-order which comes out here in June. Then (with the exception of The Plan) I'll have all seasons.

So, from June I'm going to watch the entire series from the mini-series right through in sequence.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Lieutenant

BSG rocked and it was nice the way they wrapped it all up in a bow, with a twist, at the end. The last couple of episodes were a little bit slow and languid but overall it was a great series.

I especially liked their use of female characters. It was one of the few sci fi shows that didn't suffer from token female syndrome (i.e. a few high profile female characters and then masses of supporting males unless they need a 'love interest'). Trek fares especially badly on this score - Captain Janeway was one of the most sexist captains in Starfleet if you actually strip away non-officers and then look at her crew, especially if you consider that she didn't want Torres as her chief engineer initially.

In BSG whether its the main characters, the supporting officers, the deck hands or the President's staff, there are loads of women holding their own without needing to be love interests.

I haven't seen the new Trek film yet but I'm slightly miffed that they felt the need to make Uhura a love interest just because she's pretty much the only chick in the film. I hope sci fi writers watch BSG and see how it should be done.